Thread: I got the job!

Default I got the job!

I mentioned in another topic that I was applying for a law tutoring position.

Today, I had the interview AND within an hour, found out I got the job!

This was my first 'official' job interview so I was quite nervous, but the questions weren't too difficult. I had looked some up online and had prepared beforehand for the most obvious ones... why do you want to apply, how would you motivate students, etc.

I believe my disability was truly an advantage in this interview. I will be working with Maori (NZ Indigenous) and Pacific Island students and so I explained that I have an appreciation of diversity and of being a minority through my lived experience of disability. Being an immigrant helped too as I was able to answer a question about biculturalism using my own experiences.

I am just really excited that they saw the value I could add to this role. My first fixed term paid job!!! :) So I will be tutoring for an hour a week in one of the compulsory subjects law students have to take in first or second year (not sure what yet). The pay is very good and it will be an excellent addition to my CV... teaching skills are very valuable and I can't wait to help fellow students succeed!

Looking back at my first couple of years of law school, sitting in the very same tutorials, I NEVER thought I'd get to this point! But the hard work and perseverance has paid off.
    Last edited by CPchick; 01-23-2014 at 01:32 AM.
    Enjoying the excitements of life. Looking forward to what's to come! What a ride!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hooray for Erin!!!! Good on ya, good luck with this - I'm sure it will be fun and I bet it pays really well (judging from what we paid for our daughter's IB physics and maths tutor)! lol
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Congratulations! We are excited for you. Your disabilities have not held you back, just made you stronger and more determined. You will be an inspiration to those you tutor.
    grandmother of Tyler (22): Ohtahara Syndrome/SCN2a gene mutation, cortically visually impaired, quadriplegic, severely developmentally delayed, no speech, severe intractable seizures, frontal and temporal lobe atrophy, progressive scoliosis/kyphosis, chronic kidney stones & UTI's, gastroparesis, 100% tube fed, autonomic dysreflexia, but what a precious gift from God. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

Blog Entries

Congratulations Erin! How exciting!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Erin)))))) ~

Never, for one second, did I doubt that you would return here to tell us that you got this job. You are awesome, and your energy, passion, determination, and abilities shine through in everything you do.

You brought very unique qualifications to the table, with your understanding of minority and immigrant concerns. In you, they saw the whole package.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Wow! Look how far you've come and that fantastic landscape before you! You Go Girl!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

CPchick = CONGRATULATIONS on your new job. I imagine you must be very excited. I wish you the very best of luck and blessing to the people that hired you - they saw you for the GEM that you are. I wish you the best of luck and surely hope that things go well for you. You will be in my prayers.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

Congratulations!! You should be so proud of your accomplishments this is a very demanding course of study and you are obviously excelling. I'm sure you will be a great help in your new position. I'm not surpised they made such a quick decision. They probably knew before you left the interview.
    Mary Grace

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Congratulations Erin!!! :) I am so happy for you!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!