Thread: Potential Forum Changes

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Potential Forum Changes

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

If you haven't read Mike Weins' Global Thread, "a new year and the state of BT," I encourage you to read it and join in the conversation.

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...he-state-of-BT

Changes are being discussed with regard to forum removals and forum consolidation.

Child Neurology may be affected by these changes, such as the idea of separating CN from the main list of forums into a category focused on children's health/neuro issues. Forums being discussed as fitting under that category are:

CN, ADD/ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Pediatric Epilepsy, Tourette's Syndrome, Coping with the Loss of a Child, and possibly Cerebral Palsy.

My suggestion is that the title of the generic category should be one that parents would typically use when searching for information. I think "Children's Health" is too general. Something more on the lines of "Childhood Neurological Disorders," as suggested by Jeannie (tic chick), seems like it would draw more parents of children with neuro issues.

BT is our community, and CN is our family, so I think it's important that we share our thoughts about these potential changes. Please post your ideas and suggestions to Mike's thread.

Thanks!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I already posted obviously but good idea making this thread Rose! Please add your 2 cents people!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Seems to me to be the wrong place for "Coping with the Loss of a Child".

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Arna)))))) ~

Welcome to BrainTalk (BT) and Child Neurology (CN)!

I am interested to know why you feel that the new Children's (Whatever We Name It) category is an inappropriate location for the "Coping with the Loss of a Child" forum. Please share your thoughts.

There are a couple of reasons why "Coping with the Loss of a Child" is being considered under our Children's (Whatever We Name It) category.

1. Any forum with less than 10 threads is being removed altogether. "Coping" only has 6 threads. As a grieving parent, the Coping forum is quite dear to me, because I received tremendous support there in 2003, when my son passed. To save it from the scrap heap, tic chick (jeannie) suggested that we move it to the newly created Children's (Whatever We Name It) category.

2. Since BT's and CN's inception, in the late 1990s (I joined in 2000), numerous CN members have lost their beloved children. Some parents lost two children to the same condition. We have a long list, sadly, of our Precious Angels. Because the majority of our CN children are at risk, we have a greater possibility of becoming grieving parents, than parents of neurologically-typical children. For that reason, I feel we need to: a) retain the Coping forum, and b) place the Coping forum in our Children's (Whatever We Name It) category.

I feel that the Coping forum belongs here more than in any other forum category. And if only one parent needs the Coping forum, it should be here for that parent. If we don't group it with our Children's (Whatever We Name It) category, then it will be gone. I think that would be unfortunate.

But I'm tied to the history of these forums, so I'm biased. You are a newcomer, so I'd really like to hear your take on these forum changes.

Glad you joined us!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.