Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: A new year and the state of BT

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Prot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With each new version of BT activity and posts have dropped. Under different names I used to post mainly in the bipolar forum ,as I had a similar dx of schizoaffective but then my dx changed and the forum covering my new diagnosis was dropped a couple of versions ago. I also posted articles I found on various forums. However I have not posted much since getting a dubious infraction and having been told quite spitefully that I was posting articles for malicious reasons.
    I now check here once in a proverbial blue moon out of curiosity, but it has long since lost it's community spirit and is a travesty of what it used to be.
    It 's a shame because despite a few personal difficulties over the years for me BT used to be one of the leading forums around. Now it's unlikely to come off life support.
    ((((((Prot)))))) ~

As a very active BT participant and member of the BT community, I take great umbrage to your comments (specifically, the ones I bolded).

Just because BT isn't enormous with 10,000 members doesn't mean that we don't have community spirit. For example, this thread has 7 pages of member comments regarding the state and future of BT. Members, who come together to discuss ways of improving BT, certainly indicates community spirit.

You want to see community spirit? Visit the MS forum. Or the Child Neuro forum, where there are only a few of us still posting, but we discuss important issues and provide each other with love and caring. Check out the Caregivers Forum. The Emotional Support forum.

A travesty is a false, absurd or distorted representation of something.

Calling the current version of BT a travesty is an insult to Dr. Hoch, David Hosobuschi, and Mike Weins, who volunteer their time and resources to keep BT on line and available to anyone, who needs support or information about a neurological condition. All three of them could have said, easily, "Forget it. Too much work. Too much hassle."

But they didn't. And they continue their commitment to the BT community, despite issues, which inevitably arise.

It's also an insult to the members, who participate here, both regularly and periodically to refer to BT as a travesty. We congregate at BT now for the same reasons we always gathered here: information, support, camaraderie.

We moved to a different building, with new landlords. That's all. Members decided to vacate the premises for Social Media, because they prefer its buildings to ours. That is technological evolution, but it doesn't make BT extinct or pathetic.

It is unfortunate that you have had issues with BT moderation in the past, but if that was during the John Lester era, then things have changed in that regard as well, for the positive. Moderation in this version of BT is extremely fair.

I have no idea what your reference to BT being "unlikely to come off of life support" even means. I only know my visceral reaction to that capricious use of the term "life support," since I had to make that unbearable decision for my son 11 years ago. Other BT members may have experienced loved ones, who were on ventilators, and they may find that remark offensive, as I did.

Moreover, we're not on life support, whatever your definition of it is. We are a functioning community of loving, caring people, sharing journeys with neurological conditions.

Perhaps, if you visited here more than once in a blue moon out of curiosity, and participated in some discussions, and got to know us, you might not feel compelled to tell us how much we suck.

You get out as much as you put in.

I'm just weary of former members posting to tell us how we're a skeleton of what we were once, but not participating to bring back the level of activity of BT in the old days. I'm tired of hearing "Gosh, nobody is here anymore," from people, who aren't here anymore.

Our BrainTalk community doesn't deserve your scathing remarks. There are wonderful, beautiful people here, struggling with assorted issues and challenges, while also lending a helping hand to someone else in need. Our administrators and moderators volunteer their time and resources to maintain BT, and they deserve our respect and appreciation.

Please, just ponder that. Thank you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678