Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A new year and the state of BT

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Mike, If you are watching the Child Neuro forum, you will know that I'm a blogger (my blog gets about 10,000 page views per month). CN here at Braintalk is my first online home and I'm still a loyal contributor. I would love a blog feature and I would be happy to ask my fellow bloggers to contribute as well. Blogs would bring readers, all good for the health of Braintalk. Thank you for all you do. PS: Just a pet peeve about the rules - I know you want to get rid of spammers (and so do I!) but in the process, you have not allowed users to talk about how some have used their neuro life experiences to start a home business, helping others. I think a place here to enable people to showcase their neuro related businesses would also bring new readers. Happy New Year!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Blog Entries

I am glad you are thinking about getting more members. I think cutting a few forum threads is okay but I would really hate to see the Tourette Syndrome, BTI,PTSD and Visual impairment forums go. Even if people do not make posts I noticed threads still get a lot of views and probably help a ton of people. I do not use social media so I depend on forums like this for certain kinds of info. I would LOVE a blog feature,and a chat feature!! Finding a way for people to send money without a credit card online is also a fantastic idea since I do not buy anything whatsoever online. I know you don't want to move severs but I am a mod/admin on some forums on "proboards" probords.com which is a free forum server and it is VERY similar to what you have already done on this forum. It is rather easy to use once you get used to the skins,codes,and the looks of the PMs. proboards can hold thousands of PMs in the inboxes so you wouldn't have to delete PMs. Just a thought. Do what you all think is best for everybody.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Mike, and everyone else Happy New Year. Good luck with school. I'm sorry to hear you are cutting some of the forums on here. I belong to the Gluten free forum, since my 2 sisters have a gluten allergy, and I find forums like this (message boards) helpful for when I have questions.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Donna and funnylegs4 ~ you both mentioned "readers," which is another aspect of BT. When I'm looking on line for specific information about a condition or a procedure/surgery, I often visit discussion forums to read and learn. I don't join the forum, because I'm just researching. But in many cases, readers might turn into members, which would benefit BT, if they participate after they join.

Mike ~ Questions about the blog feature: would it be exclusively for BT members, or would non-BT members be able to use that feature? Would you have guidelines, content control, oversight of the blogs?

Purple1 ~ The Gluten forum isn't on Mike's list of forums to be removed, because it has more that 10 threads, and it is active. You're safe.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey mike !

i think the idea of the sub-forums could be utilized more in 2 categories, the "orthopedic disorders and issues" would be one. leave the top thread forum as a single forum and combine the rest in a separate subforum:

-Spinal Disorders
    -Sub-Forums for...

the "psychiatric disorders" forum could also be smaller with the top 4 thread forums having their own forum and the rest being in a sub-forum category:

-Anxiety Disorder
    -Bipolar Disorder
    -Depression
    -Schizophrenia
    -Sub-forums for...

i also think that any forum with less than 3 threads should be temporarily removed and then you can see how that affects the length of the forums page. i can understand where it would be overwhelming for a new member to scroll down and read all the forum names before finding one that fits their needs or not finding anything and just posting in the "new members" forum. i also would hate to see the tourette syndrome forum go, not only for personal reasons, but because the archives are so valuable in that category and it is one of the most common neurological disorders of childhood.

since a lot of new members post questions about their children, what about having a completely separate forums category for "childhood disorders"? you could combine child neurology, add and adhd, autism, asperger's syndrome and tourette syndrome in the category. all these neurological problems start in childhood. maybe you could also include a "childhood epilepsy" forum there to differentiate it from the adult epilepsy forum? "coping with the loss of a child" could also fit in this category. i think people who are looking for help with their children's problems would be drawn to an exclusive section for children.

mike, thanks for continuing to make these forums more user friendly and relevant. sometimes smaller is better. it's always hard to change things, but sometimes it's necessary

jeannie

p.s. mike, just before christmas i received an email from iGive for a new button update. i don't know if this is the one you say has been behaving badly, but i'll put up the link that i received: http://www.igive.com/button/
    Last edited by tic chick; 01-07-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Some good ideas here on how to improve the board. I hope some of them get instituted and we start getting more posters again. I have really counted on this site in the past and hate to have it so slow that not much info gets passed around any more. Good Luck Mike with whatever changes you make as I will be looking to see if it picks up the pace on the boards.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks Mike. I appreciate yours and Dave's and Doc's caring hearts,
    for keeping these home forums going. I put a few bucks in JL's pocket
    a few years back. I guess it wasn't enough to keep his heart going, but
    I always loved this place and still do.

Places like FB have their place. I go there for Family only...no friends.
    I'd rather have 20 or 30 good friends here at Braintalk, than 2 0r 300
    so called friends at FB. I'll have it in my heart to give again. I've just
    been burnt and didn't even get a TYVM...LOL
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 01-07-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Question

((((((HUGS TO ALL)))))) ~

Jeannie ~ great suggestion! Child Neurology could be the main forum, with those forums you listed as sub-forms.

Albeit lengthy, I find our Forums list to be easy to follow and well organized. Would having sub-forms be less cluttered? I don't know, so I'm asking.

One of the things, which first drew me to Brain Talk in 2000 was its size and its coverage of so many neurological conditions, as well as other conditions. I liked having a virtual library of resources at my fingertips in one site. And while the main focus of BT is neurological conditions, and likely the initial reason the majority of members/lurkers/readers come here, we are not just our brains. We're all potential candidates for an assortment of medical issues, so it's helpful to us to have non-neuro forums.

Is honing down our forum offerings erasing some of BT's original history? Is less more? How will we judge whether the reduced number of forums generates more traffic or more members? Or less?

Mike ~ When thinking about the criteria for removing forums, I thought about the Creutzfeldt Jakobs Disease forum: There are 207 Threads in 11 pages on the CJD forum. They were all posted by flatfish. No responses, except from flatfish. However, the threads seem to have quite a hearty amount of views. So, it's providing a resource to people, who are interested in or need information about CJD. But not even a whisper of dialog is occurring there.

Sally ~ I also tossed a coin or two in the donation box for old BT. I received a hand written thank you card from JL. I was fiercely loyal too, all of which contributed to the magnitude of my disappointment, after it all played out.

But that was then, and this is now. Completely different ball game. I'm still fiercely loyal to the team, because we have a truly wonderful coaching staff.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default The problem is with our name..

Do a google search for multiple sclerosis forums or multiple sclerosis message boards and Braintalk does not even show up...when people are looking for forums they would not search for Braintalk but for the specific condition.
    That is why MSWorld has grown as we have shriveled. This site is better...more focused...we need to correct our anonymity. That's what I think.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog Entries

((((((Linda))))) ~

Wow! I Googled Multiple Sclerosis message boards and forums, and Brain Talk doesn't come up! You're right. I agree we really need to fix that. Thank you for pointing this out. However, I'm not sure that we should change our name from Brain Talk, since we cover so many different neurological (and other) conditions here. I don't know what we'd call ourselves ... and it is the historical name of the community.

I did notice that the other site, similar to BT and created after the Big Crash, is listed in the Google search. We should be too. Wonder why we aren't.

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast