Thread: January Roll Call

Cool January Roll Call

Where does the time go? We have our family here, including our sister and her family who live in Australia. New Year's was a lot of fun, with a trip out to our favorite place on the coast. How was everyone else's holiday season?

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

The Holidays were quiet for me...in fact I pretty much ignored them. Glad I got to visit with my grandkids right before Christmas. As soon as the New Year starts I get a birthday and I am another year older. Never did like my birth date.

I spent most of the recent time trying to keep a friend from doing too much. He fell and injured his back. He has now been told he has a compression fracture and they are planning on doing a procedure to cement the bones.

Had 3 episodes of kidney stones in the past month. Hope that is all for a long time to come. Never did catch anything.

Doing a n=1 with iodine supplementation to see if it lowers my blood sugars. Have been doing this 2 months and the results are looking very good. Another trial I will be running will be with resistant starch. I know people who are seeing good blood sugar results with this. If anyone is interested, I can post some links.

Still exercising and still enjoying it but I know I would probably stop if I did not have the trainer.

Hope everyone is staying warm. Here we had a day of 20F - I really don't want to live where it gets colder.

Community Member

I'm settling in to my new address. Not sure how long I'll be here but I'm enjoying seeing something new.

Our low was 40 the other night. I can't imagine dealing with much lower than that. The lowest I've ever been exposed to was 26 but that only lasted a few hours. And it was in the middle of the night or early morning.

Stay warm. Marcia

Community Member

Anne,

Sorry to hear about your kidney stones. Those always make me feel puny or worse.

I've been drinking tea lately and can feel the irritation in my urinary tract. So I'm stopping that.
    Oh well ...

Community Member

I have been thinking about trying the resistant starch experiment too. Bought the potato starch and will start soon.

So sorry to hear about the kidney stones Anne. I certainly hope this is the end of them.

We had a nice holiday, quiet but nice.

It has been very cold here, -13 this morning, but at least the snow has stopped for a while, and driving is better. I feel fortunate that we did not have a power outage. There were many people who did not have power for 4 or 5 days in Michigan, so I am
    counting my blessings.

Anne, I hope that the surgery goes well for your friend and that the back procedure takes care of the problem.

Let me know how the RS works out. I found it worked well if I took it in water, but if I mixed it into a low carb smoothie, my blood sugar would go up pretty high, higher than just the smoothie would account for.

I've got a lot of potato starch left over, I might try again.

Community Member

Well the first week it did not seem like the potato starch was helping much, but now I am in week 3 and the post prandial blood sugars are definitely lower as are the AM ones. I will continue to monitor the BS and see how I do.

Thanks for the tip about mixing in water vs other liquids. I have been just using the water and will continue to do so.

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Have not started my RS trial. Still working on my Iodine trial.