Thread: Getting on/off the bus with full cuff forearm crutches

Smile Getting on/off the bus with full cuff forearm crutches

Hi folks! I have a question for those of you with "mild" spastic diplegia who walk with full/closed cuff forearm crutches. How do you get on/off the bus or train with crutches? Do you hold the door handle bar while the crutch stays on your arm or you have to get the crutch off? (Hope that makes sense. Sorry for my English... :)). I have always walked independently but after a surgery I have to use forearm crutches outdoors. They are half/open cuff crutches (they are more common here) and getting on/off the bus with them is a real hassle...

Thanks for any input :)

Kat

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Kat,
    I have mild spastic diplegia and use forearm crutches that fold up with cuffs. I want to learn to climb and get on and off public transit with my crutches and someone has agreed to teach me to do so but for now I simply take off/get out of the crutches get up or down whatever thing it is and put my crutches on again. Somebody usually holds my crutches for me for a second. I think there is a technique for climbing stairs and getting on and off of buses with crutches. I have seen other people with spastic diplegia do it.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Quote Originally Posted by funnylegs4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi Kat,
    I have mild spastic diplegia and use forearm crutches that fold up with cuffs. I want to learn to climb and get on and off public transit with my crutches and someone has agreed to teach me to do so but for now I simply take off/get out of the crutches get up or down whatever thing it is and put my crutches on again. Somebody usually holds my crutches for me for a second. I think there is a technique for climbing stairs and getting on and off of buses with crutches. I have seen other people with spastic diplegia do it.
    Hi funnylegs! I would like to be able to travel independently and I don't have the balance to climb and get on and off the bus with my crutches. That's why I asked if anyone can get on and off the bus with closed cuff crutches the way I described, without the need to get them off. Thanks for your reply :)