Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4294969747576777879

Thread: What's Happenin' (Part 2)

Distinguished Community Member

i guess in portland they try to stop cars then chase them

people used to protest wall st-they gave up ,...now they protest "the little guy"a drinking conversation club
    Last edited by clouds z; 10-06-2019 at 05:34 AM.
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey all ,

i think there are still groups protesting on wall street, clouds. you just don't see the news covering them. i hope you're feeling better, although i know michigan is going to get hit with a cold front tomorrow, i don't know the weather in your neck of thewoods.

so yesterday, i dug up 2 rose bushes to move them. they were both about 3ft. high by 3 ft. wide. they are not carpet roses, which huig the ground more and are only about a foot high, but they are called dwarf roses. because they were so close together, i kind of dug around both of them so i could separate roots. of course, i know i'm going to lose some roots, but that's ok. i put the rose bushes to the side after digging them out. then i got my tiller and made a trench even with the first rose i moved a few weeks ago. i want then to go in a straight line from beside the arbor into the garden. they are at max growth now, so i gave them 6 inches between each rose so they could all get air. when i trim then in spring, they will be much further apart. that's fine. all that took about 3 and a half hours. i came in, ate dinner, went back outside to give them a good watering and then it was dark! i got another hosta for underneath my shade trees and will get one more. i can't remember where this hosta is that i planted 2 years ago. it had zig-zag leaves. i loved it. maybe i covered it with dirt. maybe it'll show up next year. i dunno. gardening is always a surprise!

i am rolling around on the ground, in the dirt, which has been dry the last 2 days. it's raining now and will though out the night. up and down, roll on the ground. i slept so well. my doctor called, said the blood tests for my thyroid and other stuff he took were all within normal range, so no probs. still gotta make an appt. for a mammogram and a bone density test. i've had 3 bone density tests since menopause and they all showed good bone strength. they just run a bone scanner over your body. it takes 5 minutes.

i don't think i am going to be able to do anything in the front...maybe plant some catmint, if that. i don't plant after the end of october because plants need a few weeks to grow some more roots so they anchor firmly in place. i put some composted manure and peat moss at the bottom of the trench so the roots of the roses could get some nutrients right away and grow a bit. peat moss and composted manure aren't strong fertilizers, so they're not going to make the plants go crazy.

i am having a bumper crop of tomatoes after so few last year. i amended the soil in the garden (more manure) and i sprinkled the tomato plants with epsom salt water. it helps the plant absorb nutrients and prevents that yellow leaf spotting. i had very little of that this year. so i am dipping tomatoes in hot water to loosen their skins, then dipping in water with ice to make the skins slip off. so easy! i am freezing the tomatoes for use in chili and soups in the fall and winter.

so tomorrow is grocery shopping day. i hate it. but, i go to 3 stores and get food for the week. i rarely need something extra during the week and that cuts down on impulse buying (yeah, i need some caramels with that cilantro...hahaha).

i'm going to read a bit and go to bed.

thank you all for caring and sharing...
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 10-12-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

wind and rain here near seattle
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well fall is most definitely here. My favorite time of year and I have not even been out working in it. I don't know what is wrong with me but I have no get up and go. I feel almost numb. I have not put up Halloween decorations and I have many. They need to be gone through and some old gotten rid of. I have not bought candy yet. My mower is down still so my yard is in a sad state of affairs. I have bush trimming and ditch whacking that needs to be done.

My fridge broke down and I am currently renting one for ninety bucks a month. I can buy a used one for that price. I have been looking but I am always too late. Also I only have money at the beginning of the month.

GM went on strike so I haven't been getting any child support. I can't recall the last time I was this broke for this long. I am out of cat litter, got a dog and cat food donation thanks to FB. I am scooping but nothing I can do about urine. My house hasn't started to smell so that is a good sign.

Consumers Energy sent me a check for fifty dollars if I signed up with one of their home repair options. I prayed on it for two days because I need the money so bad and decided I would sign up for the cheap furnace and a/c protection. My utility bill has been low but I have set a new record for keeping the furnace down and making sure some surge suppressors are shut off at night so I don't get a lot of that 'vampire' electricity trickling in. Money will be available Tuesday at the latest. I just need to hold out until then.

Still fostering, I have three fosters right now that are up for adoption. Sweet Louise I have deemed adoptable but she will have to go to a very special person because she is still semi feral. She is much calmer and just so very loving. She has taken to laying on my bed and if I get down there with her and love on her she will show her belly to be petted. I cried the first time she did it because I know what it has taken to get her to this point and how much love and trust she is expressing. She has even gotten kind of use to the constantly moving and talking Brandon.

The cats are in off the catio for the season. I have to screen from the inside instead of just replacing the outside screen because miss Belladonna has discovered how to get up on the lower ledge and use her big noggin' to push the screen out and either tear it or push out the staples through the screen. If I replace from the inside she doesn't have that ledge to push from. I got a few panels up and it doesn't look as horrid as I thought it would. Will just finish next spring. There are other things that need to be done that are more important so I am not going to let it add to the weight.

Chris's Fosters, which is moi, got a cat and dog food donation yesterday. I hate begging but within the animal advocate world that is how some manage and really wonderful people support us because either they foster or rescue and understand and can afford it or that is the only way they can help is through making donations. A lady even paid for our Bella to go to the vet. She got really sick, fever 104.6, lethargy, no eating or potty for two days. She got a cold that had swept through the house but everyone else that got sick it was an URI. Hers just manifested differently. Very worrisome. But I digress. So begging, yeah I am broke broke, I hate it but as long as I am doing good there are a lot of good people out there willing to help in some way.

Okay I've babbled enough.

8. The following user says "thanks"

hey everyone !

we've had beautiful weather here since friday.highs in the 60's, 68 on sunday. it started to rain this monday afternoon, probably stopping tomorrow morning. we need it.

i moved a carpet rose yesterday, they are about 12-18 inches high and they spread out close to the ground. so i have 3 roses in a row going from the side of the arbor into the garden. i put the carpet rose between the second and third rose. i will buy another carpet rose next year and put it between the first and second rose. this will be my rose path. i will have phlox on the other side. it should be a fragrant aisle. supposed to be in the 50's from here on out to the end of october. i planted a white coneflower. i might move another coneflower so i can move some coral bells. whatever i don't do now can easily be done in the spring. i am getting a clearer pic of how this will look and i just got another idea yesterday that will tie the garden together more...of course it involves moving a couple bushes next spring...lol. this is what gets me thru the winter, dreaming of putting together the final parts of my garden.

i took down my tomato plants today. the 10 or so remaining tomatoes are green. i will make fried green tomatoes tomorrow, the little ones i'l see if they ripen on the windowsill. i made some delicious tomato soup over the weekend from some frozen tomatoes. really easy recipe...a bit acidic from the tomatoes, but that is the nature of the beast.

i went to my church octoberfest over the weekend. they had a really good , well known local band playing songs. of course i dance by myself. there were a bunch of ladies dancing, also. it is hard to sit when sly and the family stone is playing "i want to take you higher".

nora is doing well on her meds now. i have her on a good dosing schedule with enough med to keep her walking pain free.

so, i went to zumba today and i am whipped right now. just wanted to write a bit of an update.

thank you all for sharing and caring,
    jeannie

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

It's certainly chilly here -- 46* an just a few minutes ago it was 47*. The temp today will stay in the 40s!! Fortunately I don't have anything to do outside. I wish tic chick would come and do something/anything in my sad, tiny, tiny yard.
    I've been baking cookies and plan more today. Sunday church is having a special fun day for kids and we're serving lunch too. My share is cookies, a pot of soup, hot dog buns and potato chips. I plan on adding a relish tray. I hope I have everything I need and don't need another trip to the store.

12. The following user says "thanks"

aaaaaggghhh -- In a few minutes I'm out the door to have my hearing tested for a hearing aid. Gee, I did this least year and it wa$ a really bad $ituation.

14. The following user says "thanks"

hey all !

how did your hearing test go, jingle? i would go to an ENT doctor to check my hearing. they can rule out physical causes, not just check your hearing. one time, my hearing seemed muffled. i went to my primary doc and i had some wax blocking my ear, not a heck of a lot, but enough to affect my hearing.

it was in the low 60's here monday and tuesday. i finished cleaning out my garden and cutting down some plants close to the ground. today was really cloudy, almost felt like it was going to rain any minute, but it didn't. i was going to shred my leaves today, but they were still too wet and kept gumming up my machine. this is two years in a row that i haven't been able to shred my leaves because they were too wet. i'll just have to do what i did last year and put them in the garden, which has wire fencing around it and just deal with it in the spring. maybe if i'm lucky, we'll get a week with no rain and i can try and shred them again. we'll see.

supposed to be crazy rainy wednesday and most of thursday.

jingle, tiny sounds like something i'm willing to do . i'd probably get you a nice pergola and train some flowery vines over it and put a comfy chair inside so you could sit in the shade on sunny, hot days. i'd have to see what zone you're in to see what kind of flowers would do well for you.

not much more to say. my birthday was last week. my daughter took me out for lunch and i went out the next day to a bar with my good friend. i got a tiramisu cake, very good if you like the taste of chocolate and coffee and custard. i am now officially a senior citizen and on medicare. whoop!

thank you all for sharing and caring. i have a sinus headache today and i'm just going to veg out the rest of the night with tv, a book and hot tea.

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 10-29-2019 at 03:23 PM.

16. The following user says "thanks"

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY do they have old refrigerators?

sometimes this forum doesnt work
    Last edited by clouds z; 10-31-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clouds z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HABITAT FOR HUMANITY do they have old refrigerators?

sometimes this forum doesnt work
    Sorry Clouds, I don't know.

Jeannie -- the hearing aid man I saw was very kind … and he was FUNNY. We chatted and laughed a lot --- but he said I should return to the place where I got my current hearing aid - the one I never, ever use - and tell them my problems and ask that everything to be "fixed" with patience and kindness. Then wear that aid for 2 or 3 weeks. He said if I did not get satisfaction and repairs I was welcome to come back to him. He put a new battery in my current aid, carefully showed me how to insert the darn thing and gave me some nice booklets about using a hearing aid.

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4294969747576777879