Thread: The incredible legalism of the dietician

Distinguished Community Member

Default The incredible legalism of the dietician

Hello.

When Grant was in hospital last week I noticed that a nurse was feeding him by bolus, with the syringe and gravity feeding. She was about to feed Grant the whole tin very quickly, probably within 10 minutes or so.

This is much too quick.

At home when we feed Grant we feed him one syringe full every 5 minutes. It takes about an hour to feed him.

For the first couple of days while Grant was in hospital they did use the pump :)

I asked to speak with the dietician, with whom I have spoken a lot on the phone over the previous few months.

She came to the ward and was incredibly defensive.

I explained that because of Grant's slow gastric motility, he always needed to be fed very slowly, and if he was few quickly he could vomit. I asked if he could be fed via the pump.

She said that he had been fed via the syringe without any problem. I insisted that he be fd via the pump. She said that she would have to check with the nurses.

Finally Grant was fed again via the pump.

With Grant's very detailed hospital plan, which is 4 pages, long, 2 of those pages are all the rules and regulations regarding feeding that has been set up by the dietician = whew.

I may have to request to have the plan formally changed so that this issue does not arise again. It really is no big deal for Grant to be fed via the pump when in hospital.

Seeya,

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

Community Member

I don't see why this would be an issue other than they don't want to spend the time feeding him. I think the pump is a wonderful alternative and they don't have to stand by his bedside and do it. Win win. Go fight win Paul.
    Carrie mom to Amanda my new angel 12-29-07.NO LONGER DXD Multicystic Encephalomalcia, Acryptic CAH, Loved to watch mtv hits, wrestling, 3 stooges, Andy Griffith and Spongebob Square pants.

And Josh 21 year old brain.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Paul))))))

At our hospital, they prefer the pump to bolus feeding! A pump is NO maintenance, whereas bolus feeding actually requires the nurse/someone to do something. When I insisted on bolus for Jon, because that's what we do at home and I wanted Jon to transition more easily, I scheduled his meals so that either Jim or I would feed him, because I knew that the nurses would be in a hurry.

In Grant's situation, a pump feeding is far superior to a rushed bolus feeding. So I agree with Mangosmom that this is a win win all the way around. It's reasonable and in Grant's best interest, so I can't envision any obstacles there, with the current climate of care he's received in his last hospitalization. I believe that you will prevail!

Love & Light,

Rose

Distinguished Community Member

hey Mangosmom and Rose,

Of course you are both right.

I am sure that the win, win alternative will prevail

At the moment the problem is that the bolus feeding is written in The Plan, and unless the plan is modified, it will be a battle.

Seeya,

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Paul))))))

Your idea of having The Plan formally modified is the solution. So Mangosmom and I are encouraging you to request that modification. Then, should there be a next time, you won't have to go through the same rigamarole.

Go for it! :)

Love & Light,

Rose