Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: OT December chitchat

Distinguished Community Member

Hi everybody, Well, just a quick update. I went in on Friday to get the results of the MRI from the non-surgical orthopedic doc. It is not good. I have known for years that I have 4 degenerating discs and spinal stenosis caused by a fall down a flight of stairs. So, they want me to be evaluated by a surgeon. I am not a good candidate for surgery and that is the reason I went to a non-surgical orthopedic as they do the spinal epidurals and I have had those in years past. It looks like Renee and I are on a similar journey. I consulted an orthopedic surgeon about 12 years ago and he did not want to touch my back since I had 4 discs degenerating.

This is the cause of my pain and nerve involvement as the spaces have narrowed so much. Not sure if anything has changed surgically in 12 years but I hope so. I picked up the antibiotic to treat the UTI for the next 10 days. Since I have an infection, the doc could not give me a steroid injection for the bursitis in my hip so I go back in 2 weeks. My middle son and I will be spending the day together again as I cannot travel anywhere with this pain.

Virginia, it is in my records that I should not be given Cipro or Levaquin but this was a different Urologist and I guess he didn't see that. I must have been having cognitive issues that day as I didn't even think about it and no red flags went up. For me it is counter indicated since I have Myasthenia Gravis which was treated with IVIG. Yes, I do have Medicare primary with GEHA as secondary.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a very happy new year.

Blessings,
    Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 12-21-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Hi everyone. I'm back again. This board contributes to my sanity.

I have been doing squats while holding on to my grab bars. Also when I use the toilet I make myself not use my hands to help me stand and keep trying until I stand just using my legs. Well it paid off. Yesterday someone knocked on the front door and I was in the bed. By the time I got on my scooter and headed to the door I was going fast and flipped onto my right side on the floor. I tried to get up but the scooter was not stable enough to use. I crawled to the door with the scooter. I was able to pull up on the door knob and push on the scooter seat to stand. I was so relieved not to have to call my son to help me. No one was at the door by then.

My computer has a lot of problems and my son will come Monday and look at it. I can't even play any of my computer games, like Solitaire I can't move the cards. It is taking a long time to bring up things I click on too. I have a Clickfree back up but I have never used it to fix anything. So hopefully Jim can get it back right.

I'm skipping the toy handout this afternoon. I am just going to read the Sunday paper and do some crossword puzzles. Take care everyone. Jeanie :)

PS I can't make this boldface still.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeanie, it's amazing how helpful some exercises can be. I'm really glad you were able to get up by yourself and know how you feel.

For years I could never get up from my knees without hanging onto something very stable--until a physical therapist trained me in a way of doing this. It really works but is hard to explain in a post. You elevate one leg so your foot is planted very firmly on the floor in front of you, and then you put most of your effort and strength into that leg, using it to hoist you up.

I don't think I've explained that well. Here's a video that demonstrates it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwVhl04v0E4

I use a grab bar with the toilet but trying to get along without that sounds like a great idea for body core strengthening.

Jeanie, have you tried CCleaner on your computer? It's a clean-up program that downloads very fast and it has worked really well for my computer. It's free and was recommended in Smart Computing magazine.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Gabriella, what happened to you sounds like yet another example of how doctors and other medical professionals aren't paying much attention to a patient's history. Some just seem to take whoever comes in and rely on their own judgment to figure out what's needed without bothering to look at the chart or ask a few questions.

I know they're pressed for time but do they have to be in that much of a hurry?
    Last edited by agate; 12-22-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fixing a mistake
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

The doctors are trying to get a certain numbers of patients in and out in 15 minutes each. They don't take the time needed to read the patients history or medical chart. If there is anything that is important we will have to bring it up.

I don't see this changing under ACA.....it is just going to be worse and us patients are suffering from the lack of care and concern.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. I have to get some meals together as my brother is coming on Christmas Day so I won't be on line very much. It is going to take days just to get the food in and prepare for his visit.

My middle son has been cleaning the house and getting the groceries for me. I just have to make the honey-do list and the grocery list.

Blessings,
    Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 12-23-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Hi to all,
    Gabriella, sorry to hear your news from the Doctor, but hope they can come up with something other than surgery. Back surgery is not where healthy people want to go and certainly not you with your other health problems. Glad your brother is joining you and your son for Christmas.

Renee, I think we should go ahead and shoot you - anyone going from 17 inches of snow to Minneapolis kind of deserves it don't you think? I think your family must like cold weather. By the way when do you sleep?

Jeanie, glad to hear you are trying to do a little exercise. I do mostly leg exercises (with just a little arm thrown in) twice a day. Obviously, there are days that I miss but I try to do it at least 4 to 5 days a week. It takes me about 1/2 hour each session. Squats are part of what I do and these exercises were given to me by my physical therapist when I was going to her. I do side and front leg raises and another exercise for my core. I am not sure where I would be without these exercises.

Sally, Christmas sounds fine at your house. I like the eggnog. What time are you serving. I think Howie and I can make it.

Agate, hope all is well with you and that you have a good Christmas.

Gary, this is the first Christmas in your new house - start making the memories. Just glad you are going through a good period health wise so you can enjoy.

Ann, you have probably started on your trip by now. Hope you have a good Holiday.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

My Granny (Dad's mom) made the BEST egg custard! She did teach me how to make the best coleslaw, but it's been many years since I made any. I still remember how. WAIT....I hear bells....oh, it's just my ears ringing. DARN ROCK AND ROLL!!!
    Last edited by Howie; 12-23-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

"Renee, I think we should go ahead and shoot you - anyone going from 17 inches of snow to Minneapolis
    kind of deserves it don't you think? I think your family must like cold weather. By the way when do you sleep?"

Virginia-how sensitive and caring of you. May I choose my shots? Tequila, vitamin B and late night opiods.
    Nope, my family does not like severe cold. My bro left for the west coast last year and two adult children
    stayed.

One of my sibs is not going- quelle downer with NO SENSE of adventure!
    Three of us are flying in from the east coast from different
    airports and will be holding a Camp Renee experience.
    I paid for the room so it is my rules- BE HAPPY or hit the street.
    The father of the bride has to be there so we are offering familial solidarity to him.

The bride is having the classic Disney wedding. to each their own. Her fiance is a good man.
    (Somebody wants to marry me, we have a BBQ, bluegrass music and the B52's, skinny dipping
    with camping available. Denim and lace Adirondack style.)

When do i sleep?
    Sheesh- when do i not sleep.
    Although most of my posts are late night but sometimes i fall asleep
    at 7 p.m.
    My timeclock is busted forever. Typical.

I'm looking forward to this crazed extravaganza.
    I may wear a tasteful silk and polarfleece ensemble- such a fashion maven.
    Plus a party hat.

Merry christmas to all believers and non believers.
    Last edited by renee; 12-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Better hold my hand it's starting to tick.....better hold my hand I'm feeling sick.....HELLO DADDY!!! I'm Howie...your brand new son!!!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Merry Christmas everyone! Somehow I managed to pull it off despite not starting my shopping or even having any ideas until Saturday Kids are having fun playing with their new things. Hope you each get to enjoy time with family or friends this season.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast