Thread: Colonoscopy - small rant

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Default Colonoscopy - small rant

Well, I was supposed to have a screening colonoscopy tomorrow because it has been about 15-20 years since my last one. I prepared all week - no nuts, no seeds, no red foods. I ate very lightly the past couple of days and today was supposed to be the horrible prep day. I woke up with severe positional vertigo. The kind where I have to lie on the floor if I bend my head down. Really felt horrible. I know that I get this from eating yeast products or gluten, but I did not eat anything other than some chicken and steamed veggies that I prepared. I cancelled the appointment because I did not want to drink that horrible stuff while feeling so sick. Darn, I really wanted to get that behind me(pun intended). Wish I knew what got me. The only thing I can think of is J bought a new truck and it was full of crumbs. Maybe a crumb attacked?

I am just ranting...hate when this happens.

Anne

Well that bites! Are you feeling better today?

Wanted to get colo done this year cuz I'm long over due too. Will have to wait till next year. What's currently the prep stuff you take now? The stuff I used 10 years ago was pulled from the market. Anyone remember Fleet? GACK!
    Al

Community Member

Yes, I remember the Fleets. Tasted pretty awful.

The last time that I had a colonoscopy, about 8 years ago, they were recommending Miralax. I stupidly mixed it with apple juice which is very sweet, yuck! Cannot stand apple juice yet. Just the thought of it makes me want to wretch.

Anne, so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I can appreciate that because I have dealt with the positional vertigo. Terrible feeling. I hope that you will be over it very soon.

Marilyn

Ducolax and Miralax was what I was told to use. The Miralax has to be mixed into 64 ox of fluid. Half the fluid volume should make it easier. Last time I drank a liter of GoLytely and I could not get it all down. I rescheduled in Jan.

The vertigo is gone. I still say it has something to do with yeast or gluten exposure.

Distinguished Community Member

How disappointing that must have been. Sorry you felt so awful. Now the waiting begins again so sorry. Kathleen has had at least 3 colonoscopies in the past few years. The bottle of Miralax and Dulcolax never cleaned her out. She was diagnosed eventually with dissmotility of her intestines. Then she used Gylytely through a NG tube. Now she has a cecostomy and flushes her intestines with 1000ccs of Golytely everyday so she doesn't get backed up. Glad your feeling a little better.
    Mary Grace

I get vertigo when I'm overly tired, I think. Glad you're better!

Mary Grace, having dismotility of the intestines sounds very difficult. Do they know what caused this?

Nuts are a staple for me. I hate having to give them up again for a week. At least I know that nuts are not causing or contributing to my tinnitus :)

Distinguished Community Member

They don't really know. She has a history of strokes and she has Down syndrome both could have contributed to this.
    Mary

Sorry to hear that, Anne. Good luck with the next one. (I agree with you on the nuts---I eat them by the handful after working out).