Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bacteria toxin may be MS trigger

Default bacteria toxin may be MS trigger

Hi everyone. I havent posted for a long time. I have just read about a common bacteria found in soil all over the world that is suspected to be a possible trigger for MS. It's called clostridium perfringens type B and D. It emits epsilon toxins that triggers the immunne system, giving animals MSlike symptoms. Researchers were so impressed with the findings of the testing of a small group of people that a search for a treatment to be used against the toxins has already begun. There is an effective vaccine for animals already being used. www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267676.php

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi SKL,
    Thanks for posting this. It's always good to know how diligently researchers are working on finding an answer to the MS problem--even though it may be many years before more studies are done, and more studies always have to be done.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thanks SKL.

I am a skeptic on most MS research.

A bacterial connection to MS has been studied before. It was not this bacteria, but it went nowhere. So after spending much $$$, they will see the theory is flawed. They get a new theory, get a new grant, and Dr. So-n-so gets a new pool.
    Last edited by Howie; 11-19-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Roswell was a gift.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Yes, it's easy to blame bacteria for all of our ills.
    It's the boogeyman of diseases.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Sally, YOU HAVE A BACTERIA SITTING ON YOUR SHOULDER!!!
    Roswell was a gift.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SKL, I'm really glad you were interested enough to find and post this article.

People who've had MS for a while get cynical about promising new ideas coming down the pike, but it's still good to know what's happening.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Yes, thank you very much SKL.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

I love seeing the research too. Regarding the invention of the light bulb, Thomas Edison said something to the effect that he had not failed prior to inventing it, he had just found "10,000 ways that wouldn't work." I hope it doesn't take 10,000 tries, but I see additional knowledge as a good thing. :-)

Distinguished Community Member

Thank you for posting the article....I am always on the outlook for any research information. It is something I can take to the doctor and ask him "what do you think about this". There are some docs at Vanderbilt University who have already been treating MS patients with antibiotics in a study as well as a doc in the UK who has treated his wife for a number of years and she has improved greatly. They use a combination of antibiotics.

I believe one day they will find the answer to be a "bug".

Blessings,
    Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 11-20-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: To add the y to they. I just have to be perfect! Ha Ha
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Thanks everyone. I share in your frustration of the "many" so-called cures, causes, medications, etc for MS, only to be forgotten and never mentioned again. I'm 65 yr old and was dx nearly 30 yr. ago. Just a few weeks after being dx, I heard Tom Brokaw on the nightly news announce that a cure had been found for MS. Well, 30 yrs later I'm still waiting for that cure!! And after 20 yrs on Avonex, Betaseron and now Copaxone (and many other meds) with no noticeable effect, I'm one of the biggest skeptics of any big- money-funded study, cure, medicine, etc. But this is a study shown to me by a nurse who works in clinical drug trials who travels the country in her work . She seemed to be excited about the info so thought I'd post it here.

Like others have said, new research is eventually going to find the cause and hopefully a cure. But yes it will take yrs to reach the end goal and at my age you know there isnt enough time left to benefit yourself. But this nurse said that considering the new info thats materialized in recent times, the treatments are very close to happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast