Thread: Almost thrown off the bus today with my service dog!

Community Member

Red face Almost thrown off the bus today with my service dog!

Today I was riding the bus as I do every Thursday with Aimus my service animal. When I boarded the bus to go home I paid my fair to the driver and he asked "what kind of dog is he?". Now Aimus wears a blue vest with patches that identify him as; medical alert animal, please don't pet me I'm working, St Francis Service dog. This driver will ask me every time and insist I tell him what he does for me. Well if he was the only one listening that would be alright with me but he will ask me in front of all the riders. I said to him "I told you last time" and sat down he then said "get off my bus you are not riding". I refused to leave my seat and he threatened to call the police and he did. Another bus driver came on the bus and told me to get off. I said to him I have not done anything wrong to be told I can't ride. The police officer came and said for me to get off the bus. I got my wife on my cellphone and she got on the phone at her office with the bus company explaining the situation happening to me. She was speaking with the supervisor about my situation on the bus and they contacted the driver. The situation stopped and the passenger's boarded the police left and we finished the bus ride home. At my stop when I went to get off I stopped at the driver offering my hand and said "I am sorry this had to happen". The driver accepted my hand saying "I am sorry too". Aimus (service dog) and I then got off and left to board another bus. Just a day living with epilepsy.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hi zep,
    I'm sorry this happened but I'm glad it got straightened out, I would still report this bus co. to the BBB or the Epilepsy Foundation for discrimination. People need to wake up and
    realize that we have the legal rights to have a service dog. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Howdy Zep!

You may not want to hear it but...

If you are going to use a service dog, you must face the fact that you will need to tell people that you have epilepsy -- especially if you get onto a bus!

Quite a few people dress up their pets as service dogs just to get them on the bus.

You might want to get yourself a "Disabled" ID card from the transit company.
    A "Disabled" card would probably put an end to questions by bus drivers.
    ID cards usually allow you to get a discount or ride for free (depending on the company.)
    Last edited by howdydave; 11-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Dave ©¿©¬
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

5. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Howdy Zep!

Bus drivers encounter thousands of people every day. You can not expect a bus driver to remember what you told him the last time you rode on his bus.

What got you nearly thrown off of the bus has nothing to do with the driver...

He asked you a simple question and you gave him a harsh response.
    You then sat down in a huff, refusing to answer the question.

That's an adjustment that needs to be made in your attitude and mindset, not the driver's!

If I was a bus driver; I might refuse to allow entry to an obstonate, cantankerous passenger who refused to give justification too.
    Last edited by howdydave; 11-22-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    Dave ©¿©¬
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

7. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Howdy Dave, I haven't been on "my reply to thread" for a long time and appreciate your comments and suggestions for my attitude in the bus incident. I have learned allot about my concerns to hide my epilepsy from others and try to keep it a secret. Finding brain talk helped me to even begin talking and not feel alone with myself and seizures. Thank you Dave for your constant participation here on brain talk and appreciate your sharing to all of us. Blessings, Kevin

9. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Zeb,
    I'm sorry you had this happen. I live in a public transit hub and me and my disabled friends experience very similar if not identical types of issues. I understand your desire to keep your disability private but as howdydave pointed out you do need to get comfortable disclosing. 9 times out of 10 these incidents were caused by me or my friends not disclosing so when we did disclose the problem disappeared. I usually just state my disability as directly and early as possible. I find that if I disclose people are generally more accepting than if I attempt to hide anything because I have shown them honesty and confidence. I think disclosing in your situation is even more important because for the most part epilepsy is invisible and if you were to have a seizure people may accidentally try to help in a way that could actually harm you so consider disclosing for your own safety. I have someone with epilepsy working with me who disclosed to me for the sake of her safety as well as mine and everything has worked out beautifully. No judgements.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

11. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Smile Being a BusDriver

Quote Originally Posted by howdydave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Howdy Zep!

Bus drivers encounter thousands of people every day. You can not expect a bus driver to remember what you told him the last time you rode on his bus.

What got you nearly thrown off of the bus has nothing to do with the driver...

He asked you a simple question and you gave him a harsh response.
    You then sat down in a huff, refusing to answer the question.

That's an adjustment that needs to be made in your attitude and mindset, not the driver's!

If I was a bus driver; I might refuse to allow entry to an obstonate, cantankerous passenger who refused to give justification too.
    Wow, you sound like my high school bus driver Ms. Green and she's mean! Regardless, how I sound to the public bus driver according to ADA law I am allowed to ride the bus with any medical device for my medical condition. You should quit acting like God here on this Epilepsy chat site and be more supportive to me.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Kevin)))))) ~

I'm so sorry that you were put through that ordeal of having the police board the bus, with an assumption that you were pretending or attempting to scam the system. I noticed that this incident occurred in 2013, so I hope that, in the intervening years, you haven't encountered this problem again.

Do you wear a medic alert bracelet indicating that you have epilepsy? This would be one way to answer the question posed to you by the bus driver, without announcing it to the other passengers. When the driver asks you why you need a service dog, you can just show the driver your bracelet.

I hope that you are well and seizure-free.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zep4141 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, you sound like my high school bus driver Ms. Green and she's mean! Regardless, how I sound to the public bus driver according to ADA law I am allowed to ride the bus with any medical device for my medical condition. You should quit acting like God here on this Epilepsy chat site and be more supportive to me.
    True. If the dog wears a vest identifying it it has to be allowed in public areas and public transit. Rose's medic alert bracelet idea is a good one for your own safety if you ever are unconscious from a seizure.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Community Member

Hi funny legs - Thank you for your concern about Aimus and my experience having epilepsy. Aimus wears a bright blue vest with a big round patch identifying him as a service dog and with a red square patch on his back that reads “medical assistance service animal”. On my right wrist I have bracelet with a medical insignia with my name, condition I have, and medical contact listing three phone numbers to get into contact in the case I have a seizure. Your comments and my protection should encourage others and inform them as what to do in order to protect there being alone while in the public.

17. The following user says "thanks"