Thread: Great movie about living with MS!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Great movie about living with MS!

I recently saw a screening for this movie. http://wheniwalk.com It was fantastic! It is a documentary about a young guy with MS and his life as his MS progresses over a number of years. He is not afraid to show the good and the bad of living with MS and life in general. I thought the movie was very honest,realistic and touching. I learned a lot about MS by watching the movie. I had no idea how many body parts it effects. The website has info on future screenings.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting about this movie. I've been hearing about it and hope to see it. I noticed this on the Website:

Following the film's theatrical release this fall, it will air on POV on PBS in 2014.film’s theatrical release this fall, it will air on POV on PBS in 2014.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I watched the film trailer but I could not understand what they were saying. I need to read lips or have closed captioning. I watch TV with the captioning on. I do not go to movies anymore as it is frustrating when you miss an important word or sentence and you lose track of what is happening.

I have hearing aids but they do not help as certain tones I cannot hear at all even with them turned up loud. My central auditory nerve has a lesion which started in the early 80's. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Me too Jeanie!!!
    Yes, thanks so much for posting this.
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 11-01-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would think that a movie about a disabled person would have captioning but if the trailer doesn't have it, maybe the movie won't either.

I agree--hearing aids don't help at all with background noise on TV, and there's usually some background noise.

There seem to be some special glasses that provide closed captioning, becoming available in movie theaters:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...-to-the-movies
    Last edited by agate; 11-01-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((HUGS TO ALL))))))

For those who need closed captioning:

Place your cursor on the bottom edge of the video screen for the movie trailer. This will reveal symbols on which you can click (eg. full screen). The symbol for closed captioning is cc in white letters. Click on the cc, and captioning appears. I don't think the translation is accurate, but I haven't listened to the video (hubby is sleeping in the next room currently).

If you are concerned about captioning on the actual film, perhaps you could use the "Contact" link at the top of the movie site's main page to ask whether it is captioned.

I hope that this is helpful for you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((HUGS to ALL))))))

I listened to the audio on the movie trailer, with the captioning on. It definitely isn't accurate in the translation of what is being said. However, I had difficulty understanding some of the words spoken, probably due to accents. I don't know whether the captioning is manually provided by a human being, or if it is a computer program automatically translating. Either way, it needs to be corrected! What is the point of closed captioning if it isn't accurate, or in some places doesn't even make sense?

Perhaps the producers of the film would do something about the captioning, if they receive emails about it. Just a thought ...

Love & Light,
    Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

POV is great,
    If I can handle a film about this persons MS experience I'll watch it through.

Started watching Hyde Park on Hudson last night.
    Bill Murray is not playing Bill Murray, phew.
    What an astonishing and exhausting feat to revive the country in a terrible time
    all the while hiding the fact you cannot walk.

And be a man with feet of clay.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    POV is great,
    If I can handle a film about this persons MS experience I'll watch it through.

Started watching Hyde Park on Hudson last night.
    Bill Murray is not playing Bill Murray, phew.
    What an astonishing and exhausting feat to revive the country in a terrible time
    all the while hiding the fact you cannot walk.

And be a man with feet of clay.
    Profound, Renee!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost