Thread: Brown CSF leak- Seeking information from experienced users please

Default Brown CSF leak- Seeking information from experienced users please

Hi,
    My name is Dani and I'm new to this forum. I need some help trying to figure out what is wrong with my dad.

He had been feeling generally ill for about 6 months when he initially went to the Dr. to find out what was going on. He was diagnosed with anemia but they couldnt find any other problems so they gave him some iron supplements and left it at that. He began to feel better within a few weeks but began developing headaches when he has never been prone to them.

Fast forward 2 months. This morning when I went into his room to make up his bed for him I noticed brownish drops on his pillow, larger brownish "drops" at the top of his sheets and entire wash cloth soaked with the same brownish stain.

When I asked him about it he told me that in the middle of the night he had woken with liquid literally streaming out of his left nostril. It was dark in his room and he was tired so he didn't really bother to look at it but recalls feeling somewhat shocked by the amount of the liquid. He also said that when he woke with this happening he was nauseated, disoriented feeling and had a headache.

What first alerted me was the fact the mystery liquid pouring from his nostril was obviously not blood. It was brown but not the right shade for dried blood. There was a halo around the stain and the fabric didn't harden at all when the liquid dried.

I've been doing some research and CSF leakage is the only thing I've come up with but every article I've read indicates that it's a clear fluid.

Can anybody help shed the light of experience on this for me? The stubborn old man doesn't seem to think it's a big deal but the panic bells are sounding in my head.

Thanks- Dani

Hi Dani,
    I'm sorry I'm not an experienced user here, but for what it's worth, I hope you've figured out what to do since then. Has it happened since?
    Do you have some kind of nurse hotline? My health provider has something where you call, describe things a little bit, and the nurse does their best to either give some advice or say you really ought to come in.
    This might sound gross, but if it happens again, it might be a good idea to save the pillowcase or washcloth in a plastic baggie and bring it with you if you do get an appointment.