Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: banzel experience with

Default banzel experience with

Good Morning,
    I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Banzel. Our son was started on last fall and was up to a dosage of 2400mg/day. This dosage was held for 6 weeks and then was increased to 3200mg/day. Within 2 weeks of this last increase he started to experience very violent seizures compared to his "usual" seizures. finally the doctor decided to decrease his dosage to 2400mg/day.
    my question is-in the Banzel flyer that accompanies the bottle of medication it says that there is no clinical information regarding a dosage LOWER than the maximum dosage being effecctive. Does this seem plausible?
    Thank you for any reply about your experience with this medication
    Last edited by oldhats; 09-24-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo's and duplicate wordsw

Distinguished Community Member

welcome oldhats. it is not me but my grown daughter that has seizures. I do not know about this drug. I hope others will know something and share with you. wish you good luck in finding a drug that helps son.

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

WebMD.com has an article about BANZEL and 4 comments about people who have used it.
    http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drugrevie...me=Banzel+Oral

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Oldhats))))))

Welcome to Brain Talk!

I'm so sorry that your son is experiencing seizures.

While I'm not familiar with Banzel, I do know that some seizure medications can cause an increase in seizure activity, in seizure duration, as well as promote seizures of a different type than the one for which the med is being given. This is particularly true with increased dosages of the AED (Anti-Epileptic Drug). Our Drug Info link indicates that seizures can be a side effect of Banzel.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a609001.html

It doesn't seem plausible that there is no statistical/clinical information on the efficacy of Banzel at various dosage levels. There should be data of that nature about every drug, I would think. In trial studies, I would imagine that they could indicate that X % of the participants achieved X % of seizure control at X dosage, while Y% of the participants showed no improvement at X dosage, but did at Y dosage.

On the lower dosage of Banzel, were your son's seizures being controlled? Had they improved, lessened? Had they worsened, prompting the doctor to increase the dose?

Has your son tried other AED's? How did he respond to them?

Sometimes, a cocktail of AED's is necessary to achieve improvement and/or control. Monotherapy on an AED is uncommon, I think.

I hope someone comes along with experience with Banzel.

Please join us on the Child Neurology forum (aka, CN), where most of us have children with a seizure disorder. We understand what you're going through and are here to support you.

Child Neurology:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...hild-Neurology

I look forward to getting to know you and your dear son.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. And I really appreciate your reply-

Thank you for the website link, it was helpful.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and also the website link. It was helpful and I bookmarked it.

Blog Entries

((((((oldhats))))))

You are so welcome. I am going to post on Child Neurology for you to ask if any parents there have experience with Banzel. Please visit the Child Neurology forum, and respond to that thread.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

((((((oldhats))))))

I posted on Child Neurology, and one member has responded with her experience with Banzel. Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...with-Questions

Many of us on Child Neuro have experience with intractable seizures with our children. It is so frustrating and frightening. We understand.

Please visit and share more about your son and his seizures, so that we are better able to help and support you.

Love & LIght,

Rose

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Howdy oldhats!

Yes it is plausable.
    It just means that no clinical testing was done with low doses.

BIG difference between: "no testing has been done" and "it won't work!"
    Last edited by howdydave; 09-26-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast