just to give you a laugh....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just to give you a laugh....

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Hope this works putting the link in here. :) I am imitating a viral picture that I saw on my newsfeed. It turned out perfectly!! Didn't think I could jump so high!

Lisa O.
    sigpicLisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

hahahaha very cute! I may just jump that high tomorrow. School starts tomorrow here. Today the teachers went in for the day so I had 4 extra kids from 3up . they are kids of teacher friends. Very long day! At least it cleared up long enough to go out and swim.
    How did the first day go?
    Mary

Comment

((((((Lisa))))))

Very clever and well done! Your kids' expressions are priceless!

How was Day One? What did YOU do? What was it like to have a quiet house?

Mary Grace ~ Expecting to see your jumping for joy photo tomorrow!

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi!

First day went great! We have a bussing glitch that needs to get worked out yet, but I am not too worried. Instead of dealing with it myself like I usually do, this year, I called the director of special ed for assistance with the times. The bus company wanted to pick C up at 6:27am and bring home at 4:40pm. School time is 7:45am/3:10pm. Way too long for her to be on the bus....we live only 15 min (7 miles) from school. The director has been very helpful in dealing with the bus co. This is the 9th year we have been having this issue. The bus co always says, well you are the only child out in Sherwood so that is their excuse to for her being first on and last off. In past years I have called (phone) the bus co and for a few years I started going to the company's office in person and requesting better times. Last 2 years we actually had acceptable times, but I was shocked to get this years' card in the mail! Anyway! The director gave some other options, like reimbursing me for driving her or having kidscab drive her. Though after he looked into kidscab, when he called today to follow up, he said kidscab wouldn't work as they don't have any wheelchair vans. He is meeting with the superintendent and business manager tomorrow about having the route split in half. Fingers crossed that there is funds available for that to happen. There are 2 other w/c users he said that this would help also...it's not just C with crazy long times. So I am glad I contacted the school for help in this matter...I think when I always tried to work it out directly with the bus co, the bus co could too easily brush me off. The bus came to our house at 6:34am and I nicely told the driver that C was not ready and I would be bringing her. I think she thought I was going to be *itchy about it, but I was nice about it. I know it is not the driver's fault. She was very nice when she brought C home in the pm. They got home at 4:26 so it was a little better than it said on the card.

After the boys left on their busses, I brought C to school and dropped her noon meds off with the nurse, then went back home for a bit. Ate breakfast, enjoyed the silence and then went to the gym for bodyflow (yoga/pilates). I actually fell asleep during the relaxation part, lol! I was up late the night before and of course, up early today. It was weird to eat lunch alone! Last year I always had Logy home to have to entertain him. Today, silence! I hung some laundry on the line and washed a few more loads. What was another nice thing was I planned out easy crockpot/casserole meals for mon-thurs that I can cook/prepare while they are at school so that when they come home, I can focus on helping with homework and doing any paperwork that comes home. It worked out awesome! I spent from 2-3 making supper and also making some stuff for their lunches. Then my Dad stopped over with his trailer to get my stuff for the rummage sale my mom, sister & I are doing this weekend. I got most of the stuff onto the trailer, just have to take over one more load on my own tomorrow. I did feel really weird all afternoon, like I should be looking what the kids are up to with it being so quiet! I am sure I will get over that soon though. I am hoping once I get the house cleaned & tidied up I can volunteer at the kids' schools here and there. Though the minute I say that some one will get sick and prevent that from happening! I am hoping to prevent a rerun of last winter's endless illnesses and have been giving all the kids a multivitamin daily for the past 2 weeks (and plan to continue daily). I am looking forward to yoga tomorrow and finishing clearing out the rummage sale stuff that has been in my bedroom for months...soon I will be able to see the floor! :)

Lisa O.
        sigpicLisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Comment

((((((Lisa))))))

I know you don't want to create an issue with the bussing, but I will just point out that you'd be within your right to do so.

Transportation is a related service, and it must be part of the IEP. It must be appropriate for the student, which means w/c accessible, safe, with reasonable pick up and drop off times, as well as length of bus ride. Being the only child in Sherwood is an unacceptable reason for first/last drop off, if the length of time on the bus exceeds 1 hour. The school district cannot use underfunding as an excuse for not providing appropriate transportation for any student.

The district/bus company need to get another bus, with w/c access and tie downs, hire another driver, and put Caitlin and the other two w/c users on this bus. They can apply for additional federal funding, if needed, and they would get it, because it is clearly justified in order for the district to be in compliance with federal law.

The district cannot treat Caitlin differently than other students, because of where she lives or because she uses a w/c.

I'm sure that you already know all of this. I just wanted to reinforce it.

You don't need to play this card, if it gets worked out to your satisfaction, but keep it in your deck for the future, just in case.

I hope you don't mind, but I loved your back to school photo so much that I copied it and emailed it, with a brief explanation that you are a CN member (they all know about our forum), and they all loved it too! Don't worry, they won't send it around to anyone else. It was just for our little circle of friends. The consensus is that your children are darling, and you're a fantastic mom with the patience of Job.

I love how you spent your first day of "free time." Completing long standing projects generates such a great feeling of accomplishment. I know you'll be pleased when it's all finished. Exercising ~ taking care of you, good for you! Great stress reducer too! And easy meals to cook, while they're at school ~ great idea! Looks like you've got it all organized. My hat is off to you, dear friend!

Hope you get a chance to catch up on your sleep. Let us know how the bus situation turns out.

Love & Light,

Rose
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Oh Lisa, first of all, when I saw your pic on facebook, I burst out laughing and THEN remembered all those first days of school for my kids - triumphant!!!! But then, so often (most often) Nicholas would be ill or Natalie would have one of many professional development days! Such a roller coaster of relief but then loneliness without them, then frustration at their illness or whatever. Maybe this is too serious - I just have so many memories! I LOVE your photo, Lisa!!!! xo Donna
            Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
            Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Hi!

Another great day! I didn't hear the 'official' results of the bus meeting yet, but this afternoon when the driver dropped C off, she said the high school teacher said that she heard this driver was going to lose all the high school students. Yay! Middle schoolers will be on their own bus (as it should have been all along, IMO!). This won't start until next week though, but knowing it is going to change, I can put up with it. Another good thing today, I got an email from a piano teacher that I hoped had some times available for the boys...she found 2 open times and they work perfectly into our schedule! I snapped them up! :) Our previous one moved out of state in may so we took a break over the summer and are getting back into activities now. I am so glad I had the boys take lessons as Brandon is eligible to sign up for band at the middle school and he wants to play the drums and they require that the child has had piano to get picked for those....so he will qualify! They only have 10 percussion spots open so I am crossing my fingers he gets picked. He had to choose 2 other choices so he picked sax or trumpet. I showed him youtube videos of all the different instrument choices so he will know what he is choosing if he doesn't get drums. I remember wanting flute so bad when I was a kid and somehow ended up with the French horn! LOL! I grew to love it though at least!

I can also see the floor of my room now! Spent over an hour pricing rummage sale boy clothes today, then drove it all over to my parents' house. I sure have had no problem filling my free time! No worries about sharing the picture...a fb friend suggested I send it in to the tv station as they were gathering 1st day of school pictures and I did (send it in). I forgot to watch tv this morning to see if it got on....but there was a message on the machine when I got home from the gym from the school nurse (of course seeing the school # freaked me out for a minute!). She said that she saw the picture this morning on the tv and recognized Caitlin! She also had a question about C's noon meds, but it was minor. I had given a big bag of reese's minis as a reward for not spitting meds out and she wanted to double check how many to give C. The station also put the picture first on their website gallery of 1st day photos...it's like a 5x7 size on their page! Brian did a good job as my photographer. I always joke that when I get around to taking a photography class that he will have to come along so that I get good pictures of myself, lol! Caitlin said her teacher brought it up on the smart board in the classroom for all the friends to see it. I think I am having 15 minutes of fame! :) Off to pack tomorrow's lunches and snacks....we have early morning PT for C....

Lisa O.

Comment

((((((Lisa))))))

That's great that the bus situation is getting worked out, and that you got piano lessons scheduled for your boys, and you can see your floor! YAY YOU!!!

Be sure to let us know when your fans start asking you for your autograph!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Lisa, so glad things are going well. I hope the bus gets fixed quickly. I just can't believe they try to do this. I hear at least 1 or 2 stories similar to yours every school year. What are they thinking?! I'm hoping to get my house de-cluttered now that school is in session. Painting and we're putting in Pergo in our living room to replace the carpet. I really hate carpet. I've started some cleaning already.
                  Sorry Rose my computer skills are not as good as Lisa's no picture of me jumping up and down. But, I'm also missing Kathleen... No matter how many years go by it still feels strange without her here. It's the only time she's not in the house with me when she's at school.
                  Mary G.

Comment

Working...
                  X