Made a film about disability!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a film about disability!

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... Please watch and read the description(yes I know the camera work sucks. My spasms ruined it)
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

This is FANTASTIC!!!! Just watched - and loved it. I'm sharing in the Canadian disability community now. Are you on LinkedIn? There are lots of groups there related to disability and/or film - share your link there! And facebook groups for disability and/or film too! There used to be a disability film festival in the UK - sadly it ran out of funding, but I think there's still a disability arts organization that sponsors film events. There's the Bird's Eye View film festival for women directors too. As the mother of a young man with severe disabilities who only has eyes for able-bodied gorgeous women (blondes!), I really appreciate the honesty and great story-telling in this film. Thanks for making and sharing. Btw, the actors are all excellent - we get into their heads and it's a fascinating journey. Well done!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

THANK YOU SO MUCH DONNA!!! I'm actually in the U.S but I appreciate your suggestions and that you spread the word about the film! Feel free to share it with anyone you want!! I plan to screen it in a few different states if every thing goes as planned. I'm so glad you enjoyed the film and related to it. LOL Nick is a typical guy! The actors were all a real blessing. It is incredibly hard to find actors with disabilities.

btw here's the film with open captions for the deaf in case you are interested: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
      Last edited by funnylegs4; 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

((((((funnylegs4))))))

Excellent!!!! Two thumbs up!!!

Well written script ~ in about 30 minutes, you introduced us to 4 people, and at the end, I felt like I knew their characters through backstory interwoven with the ongoing action. Nicely done. The flashback was a deft touch. You also had a couple of neat twists to the storyline. Good story telling there, my friend!

Topic ~ Meaningful and valuable to persons with disabilities, but also to non-disabled viewers, by giving them an insight to the interpersonal issues of PWD. Exploring the topic of dating and relationships, and how PWD view themselves and other PWD, as well as non-disabled people, is enlightening for all of us. And I thank you for going there.

Direction ~ Good blocking, character placement, and scene changes, especially considering your resources. You mixed it up very well in 30 minutes. Kudos to you! Drama and humor combined set the tone for the ending.

Cinematography ~ I liked the variety of your shots and angles. You have a good eye. If you had access to a few camera operators, you could really go to town, I'm sure.

Have you considered becoming a non-profit organization? You might be able to get federal funding for your projects, which would allow you to expand your operations.

You have a lot to say and the perfect medium with which to say it. Reach for the stars! They are yours for the taking!

Bravo!

Encore!

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thanks so much Earth Mother!! I really appreciate hearing peoples' thoughts on my work. Getting funding is a good idea since it would give me more resources. A trailer and blooper video will be posted soon.

Comment

((((((funnylegs4))))))

Here is some information about non-profits and how to start the process:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

It's definitely worth considering for your work, I think.

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thanks so much Rose! I'll be sure to take a look at that and seriously consider it. In case you are interested the blooper video and 2 versions of the films' trailer have been uploaded. The 2nd trailer has captions for the deaf.

Trailer: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Trailer with Captions: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Bloopers: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

((((((funnylegs4))))))

Excellent work on the trailer! Looks like you did have lots of fun making the film.

Do you have another film in the works? Sequels. Series. Trilogies. ???

Have you thought about marketing your films to target audiences? Do you have a business plan?

I'm looking forward to watching you grow into an experienced filmmaker. When you're famous, I'll say, "I knew her when..."

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Thanks Rose! I'm trying to develop another film script at the moment. We'll see what happens. I didn't really think of this as a business per se. Both my films just sort of happened with a ton of luck. I could turn it into a kind of business. My audience is mainly the disabled community and able bodied people interested in the lives of the disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                    ((((((funnylegs4))))))

Here is some information about non-profits and how to start the process:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

It's definitely worth considering for your work, I think.

Love & Light,

Rose
                    Thanks again Rose for the suggestion!!! A friend who is making a documentary(also on physical disability) walked me through their 501©3 status/grants/funding process and at this point in my work I don't think it is the best option for me. I am glad I looked into it and at least have some idea of the process though. More updates on my newest film will hopefully come soon. Now that we have the option to blog I will most likely make a blog post about the new film. Thank you once again for all the encouragement!! It keeps my projects going.

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

A non-profit can involve a LOT of work and be complicated. But, you've investigated it, and now you have knowledge and insight, so you can rule it out for your purposes. But someday in the future, you might decide to go the non-profit route, and you'll be able to make an informed decision then thanks to your research now.

Looking forward to your upcoming film! Will read your blog when you post it, for sure!

Keep those creative juices flowing!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                        ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

A non-profit can involve a LOT of work and be complicated. But, you've investigated it, and now you have knowledge and insight, so you can rule it out for your purposes. But someday in the future, you might decide to go the non-profit route, and you'll be able to make an informed decision then thanks to your research now.

Looking forward to your upcoming film! Will read your blog when you post it, for sure!

Keep those creative juices flowing!

Love & Light,

Rose
                        Yes it might be an option in a few years when I have more people to help me, and if I decide to do longer, more complicated,expensive films. Thanks again! I should be posting updates at the beginning of next month if all goes well.
                        Last edited by funnylegs4; 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

You know I love your films!!! When we lived in London, we had the UK Disability film festival - it was fantastic. I see that they resurrected it somewhat under the umbrella of the British film institute: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... The UK is pretty good about promoting film in festivals (I know more about it there than the US anyway) - there's a woman's film festival too called Bird's Eye View Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register.... I hope you can get your films seen! Thank goodness for the internet eh? Hey, Maybe you can start an online disability film festival!!!
                          Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
                          Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Originally posted by Donna Thomson View Post
                            You know I love your films!!! When we lived in London, we had the UK Disability film festival - it was fantastic. I see that they resurrected it somewhat under the umbrella of the British film institute: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... The UK is pretty good about promoting film in festivals (I know more about it there than the US anyway) - there's a woman's film festival too called Bird's Eye View Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register.... I hope you can get your films seen! Thank goodness for the internet eh? Hey, Maybe you can start an online disability film festival!!!
                            Thanks Donna! I am in the United States so I have no idea if I would even qualify for any of these great festivals. I will see. Festivals tend to want residents/citizens of the country they are based in to enter. I have looked into some possibilities in the U.S. Most are connected to disability related organizations.

I posted a blog post with further details about my latest film here on braintalk Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

I might have made the post private or something by mistake. Sorry.
                            Last edited by funnylegs4; 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X