Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT--August Chitchat

A new month!

I'm starting this thread and hoping Peg won't mind. She hasn't been doing well lately. Feel better soon, Peg!

A wheelchair service guy was here yesterday to see about some repairs for my wheelchair. He said my chair isn't safe--wheels too worn down, etc. Since I've had it for 30 years and it's been in constant use though mainly for sitting, it seems I can probably get a new chair!

This is so exciting I just had to jump in here and share the news. It may take some months but it looks as if it will be a lighter-weight chair with better back support.

He called my chair a fossil.

At least he didn't call me a fossil.

Hope everybody is perking along and staying out of the heat.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Congrats on the new chair, Joan. It's about time!!! Sheeesh!!!
    I guess we are Fossils....I'll take that as a compliment. LOL...

The humidity is down a little today, So I'm feeling better. The
    Summer is almost over. My prayers for you who are going thru
    heatwaves in your backyards. Even when the rains finally come,
    it's little relief and is causing horrible floods everywhere.

I'm ready to jump into a snowdrift, buttttt be careful for
    what you wish..EEEk.

Happy August, Christmas is coming..LOL

Feel better everyone...
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

I'm almost never on my computer but use my mobile for quick internet access these days. The trouble I'm having with Braintalk though is over the past many months, Braintalk no longer allows me to view any posts beyond the first page on any threads. The titles turned yellow, and all of a sudden, I no longer had subsequent pages on threads to click onto. So I see there are a lot of posts on threads, but I can't read any beyond about the first 10 posts or so, further page #'s have disappeared.

How is Howie doing? How is Cat doing on Tecfidera? Hope Peg feels better soon. Peg, are you still in touch with Donna, by chance? Haven't seen her around for years, so many disappeared. What about Teri in Az? Or Scully? Soul? Heath? Dale? Kim/Monkeypaws? Jan? Deidre?

Agate, glad you will be getting some fancy new wheels! With MS, I think any of us are happy if WE become fossils!

Hope the temps aren't melting anyone! I'm thinking of trying Ampyra, anyone have experience with it? Glad copax may be going generic, hope $ drops.
      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Hi! I just thought I would introduce myself briefly. My name is Kristin. A few quick facts about me:

-I'm married 10+ years to my DH whom I met in high school.
        -We have two sons "Seek" and "Destroy"
        -I love to read.
        -I also enjoy going for walks, cooking, scrapbooking and dabbling in gardening.
        -I'm a type A night owl.
        -My husband is a great complement to me. (Where I'm structured, he's flexible. Where I'm detailed, he's big picture. Etc.) ... This is good ... And bad.
        -I now like at least 50 foods I hated as a child.

Thanks for letting me share a bit. I can see many of you have known each other for a while and developed strong bonds. I think that's awesome!

~Kristin

Comment

Woo-hoo! I am on the end of Cape Cod w H2B (Pizzaguy).;) We drove down this afternoon.

Funny thing: He was concerned about the diamond being on and off (not wearing it in the ocean). The choices were to leave it at home or bring it and put it somewhere in the car. "We" decided to get a safety deposit box.

He bought me a silver and amber ring to wear down here "so we will still be engaged." It works for me!

Agate, congratulations! Do you get to pick a color? I know, I know it's all about comfort but you can have both!

Hi Sally, Kristin and SuzE-Q- I remember you.:)

Gotta go to bed- tomorrow is swim eat swim eat repeat.
          ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Kristin, thanks for introducing yourself!

If you've learned to like 50 foods you used to hate, I'd say that's an achievement. And your sons must be pretty young yet--meaning you're probably busy busy busy. Nice that you're willing to spend some time here with us!

ANN, hope you're enjoying your time at the Cape.

I'd love to choose the color for the wheelchair. We haven't got to that point in the negotiations, but I have a hunch there won't be any choice of color. When Medicare/Medicaid picks up the tab, they usually aren't in the mood for anything "extra."

Earlier Cherie was talking about playing the recorder and other instruments. I used to play the recorder--and had a lot of fun using Music Minus One tapes to play along with. They're recordings (probably on CDs now) of musical works but your part has been left out of the recording--and you fill it in. It's a bit like playing along with a bunch of professional musicians, but without anyone scowling at you when you make a mistake.

Anybody ever tried these?
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Agate- Nothing like a smooth ride to make life easier.
              Get someone to get you the best you can get. NO garbage.

Inmy experience Quickie makes fiiine wheels.

Seek and Destroy. I like that a LOT.

Comment

Howdy folks,

I have been lax in checking in. We had a big anniversary/house warming party put on by our kids and their friends. Lots of fun. It has been unbearably hot except for the day of the party it has not been below 90 in 45 days. And 15 days over 100. We missed the all time record of 112 by one degree.

I am so thankful that the new house has central air.

The ole MS has been up and down. I need to see about getting a knee replaced and my sciatic nerve fixed. To be honest I have been putting up with both because well it HURTS to have surgery and it always sets off a flare and its off to the races........... Anyone have anything to share about lower back and/or knee replacements?

Actually today the weather is nice it is only suppose to get up to upper 80's. It is hard to believe that summer is starting to wind down for the farmers anyway, wheat is finished and the wheat fields are bedded for the winter. Mint is being cut and it smells like a spearmint gum factory blew up. My renters should get one more cutting off the hay fields. My neighbor told me that they will begin digging sugar beets early this year as they will be out of irrigation water they have cut everyone's allotment by 1/5 and will shut the canals off entirely by mid September. Going to be a rough year as the big money crops will not have yields that they are suppose to have.

KRISTIN WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!! Its nice to see people stopping in. Seek and Destroy oh does THAT ever bring back memories. Good thing my grandkids never do anything mischievous............ As for food, I will eat anything that doesn't eat me first. Except fresh tomatoes and cooked asparagus two food that are nasty.

Hope that Peg is doing okay......... I cant remember the last time she missed the first of the month.

Note to Sally: can you either post or email me how you put those big pictures here on BT?
                Last edited by Gary; 08-03-2013, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Hello all,
                  Haven't posted in awhile, too preoccupied with my crazy life, but I do read and try to keep up.
                  Still struggling with the itchy rash. Finally off prednisone and hoping the rash/itch stays at a bearable level, at least until my appointment in early Sept. (the soonest I could get an appointment!) with an allergist. I'm pretty sure I am allergic to the straps on my sling for the Hoyer lift. Home health people tell me that the nylon straps and the binding on lift slings are treated with a chemical to make the nylon stronger. Maybe they're treated with the same chemical they now use to make Tecfidera!
                  A chemical once used to treat sofas — until it was found to cause rashes and blisters in people who sat on them — is now poised to become a major therapy for multiple sclerosis.
                  Trouble is I cannot totally avoid exposure to the sling!
                  Toe is recovering very, very slowly, since circulation in legs is awful. Elevation is the name of the game. I may be an old bat, but I can't hang upside down all the time!

My 90+ year old parents were moved into an assisted living facility last week. So far so good. Such a relief to know that they will be well taken care of. Now, to deal with their house and belongings . . . ugh!
                  We finally broke ground on our new house. Seems like it's taken forever, but now a new level of stress REALLY begins!

Seek and destroy, ahh yes . . . I remember those days! Welcome Kristin!
                  Glad to hear you're getting a new chair, Agate. I vote for a teal chair!
                  Ann, swimming on the Cape . . . lucky girl.

Keep cool all you hot guys and gals.

Joan

Comment

Gary, it used to be simple on my old PC, I'd just make them smaller,
                    copy and paste, but my new Macbook won't let me do that, so I must
                    publish them to the web before I can get them on here. That's why
                    I told you to ask our guru Mike.

Hi Nuthatch. Stupid rash!!! It would be weird if the TEC stuff was
                    coating your lift straps!!!! Could you use a clothing barrier...some
                    -thing between you and the straps? Happy your Parents are some
                    -where safe and taking a worry off of your mind. Feel better soon.
                    Last edited by SalpalSally; 08-03-2013, 05:41 PM.
                    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Silly thing thinks I auto-saved something. Looks like a post from a few days ago and I couldn't get rid of it so I have to post something. I usually just read.

Hope everyone gets things worked out!

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Comment

Hello!

I've reported the problems SuzeQ, Gary and Frog42 are having with using this forum to Mike.

We (Mike and the Mods) read the forums to see if any members are having problems using this forum. We all read "BrainTalk's feedback forum", so if it's possible for you to post your concerns there, they will be seen much faster.

Thank you.
                        Last edited by Moderator #7; 08-04-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

:) Hi everyone. I sent Peg an email the other day but I did not get an answer. I hope she is ok.

My in the house 50 lb scooter has motors on both back wheels. I have over the years replaced both of them using a used one I bought. Now they are making a noise when I am moving. They no longer make this model and I have used the spare parts on my other one. I found a scooter with 18 inch width in back which is only 1/2 inch wider than this one. It is $799. including shipping. I found it at fuquastore.com. It will be shipped out Monday.

I have rounded door corners in the whole house from scraping the door jams, I am glad to find another one that is small.

I have had 4 dust mite allergy shots and no change yet in my coughing. My friend Bill (83) who helped my Mother has decided to quit driving. He is not doing well at all. His brother is also ill and 5 years younger and now he is taking Bill to the doctors, grocery shopping, etc. We are tryuing to close out the family trust. The house is part of that so we are deeding it to the four of us and any repairs or upkeep until it sells we will all have to chip in for. But this will relieve Bill of the trust executorship stress.

Please keep me in your prayers, you are all in mine. Jeanie :)
                          Last edited by Jeanie Z; 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM. Reason: Font

Comment

So, I'm still hanging around. Going to a urologist tomorrow. Still dealing with bladder issues. Several days (and nights) will pass without incident: I'll wake up knowing I have to pee, head to the bathroom, do it, head back to bed. Maybe 2 times/night. And I'll go during the day, every few hours.
                            Then, for reasons unknown (at least to me) the floodgates open. Only way to stay dry is to camp out on the john all night long. Feel like I should just curl up in a litter box. I -- and my husband (who wakes up hearing, and sometimes helping, me in and out of the bathroom) -- would be much more comfortable! It e doesn't seem to be urine retention -- the visiting nurses have been cathing me when they come and any "retention" is within "normal" range. So don't know. I just know it's uncomfortable, unpleasant, and embarrassing.

Still on the Tecfidera. Haven't noticed any changes, good or bad, but the side effects have lessened and appetite is slowing returning. Actually have a small pork roast in the oven, even as I type this. First roast I've made in.......don't remember the last one..... Anyway.a Going to eat the roast at 1 p.m., then shower, then nap. And see if the bladder behaves. Last night was one of those "wet nights" -- too many trips to the bathroom, too many new Depends.

Quickie Wheelchairs are my chairs of choice. Sturdy, dependable, tough. Mine have been to the Philippines, Canada, Norway, lots of places here in the states; never had any problems with them. I'm on my 3rd now .
                            ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Comment

Cat, that's a shame about the bladder problem! Maybe once the infection gets cleared up, the bladder will calm down.

I have a commode that helps in "urgent" situations. I don't like dealing with it but have to admit it's handy because it can sit right by my bedside and be covered up with its lid until I feel like emptying it.

Usually it sits in a closet but I like knowing it's there. It was very handy at a time when I didn't have a working toilet, for instance.

That's really impressive that you've been cooking a pork roast in spite of all of the missed sleep you must have been putting up with. You must be good at grabbing a nap here and there to make up for lost sleep--?

I'm glad you mentioned Quickie wheelchairs. I'd been trying to think of the name that the wheelchair guy mentioned, and that was it.

--A sad day here for me because my cat Phoebe died. In fact it was a sad weekend because on Friday she had another seizure and kept losing ground from then on. In May some lab results showed she had a type of cancer that would be fatal--and so in a way I was prepared for this, except that I never really believed those lab results.

She'd have been 16 in October. A truly great cat, and I'll miss her.

Comment

Working...
                              X