Thread: Swish & Spit!

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Default Swish & Spit!

Hi!

Yes, it was that easy! Went today for the genetic counseling...the lady was very nice. I brought my 10 page packet along. I had most of the information filled in, just some names and exact dates for distant relatives were missing. I made sure to scan it all into my computer before handing it over. :) She went through and did a thorough family tree on a paper. We talked about my thoughts on why I wanted testing. That was not a big deal....I've been thinking about it for 12 years so I am certain now that I want to know. I did say that I would be surprised if I did not have it, she said she would be surprised if I did (I wonder if they just say that though to make people feel better). Anyway, I fit the guidelines on the paper to warrant testing and I had a choice of 2 different labs that could do it. I chose the more costly, but faster lab. I talked about wanting to know before my 'annual' gyn appt in September and it can take a few weeks to get insurance to approve and thus the green light for the lab to actually get to work on it. They hold the sample until insurance okays the payment. So all I had to do was swish some Scope around my mouth really good for 30 sec and then spit it into a tube shaped sample container. Then I had to spit more and then swish another shot of scope around my cheeks. Boy was that stuff nasty!!! I joked that I can't understand how my husband likes to use mouthwash! I got to bring the little bottle of scope home after and the lady joked that I could tell my husband that here is a $300 bottle of scope for him! LOL! I should probably know by the beginning of September if I have it or not. This will test for the BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 mutations. There is a chance it could be some other mutation on a different gene. If I am negative for the BRCA ones, they have a computer program that they can enter in a bunch of data and have it spit out a risk percentage of my getting breast cancer someday. The general population has a risk of 1 in 8 (12%) and she said BRCA carriers have between 60-80%. The computer program would estimate my personal risk (if not having the BRCA) and if it turns out to be greater than 20-25%, insurance will pay for breast MRIs vs just the standard mammogram. So it will be nice to know that all. I will be able to make decisions on what steps to take next. Especially since we are at about 2500 out of our max out of pocket deductible of 2800!! Time for sleep...been a LONG day....I also had to take Logan to the doctor in the morning for an ear infection! At least Caitlin is doing great....

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Sweetie, Wow, who knew about swish and spit?! I had no idea that's how they do genetic testing! It's a real blessing that someone figured this out though so that you won't have to worry and wonder. Maybe she's right about you likely not having? Does she know something? I guess it's not worth worrying about the unknown (easy to say!) and the test will tell. I saw Caitlin's photo on the ride-on springy thing in the park and she looked so happy. Poor Logy, I hope he's feeling better today after a night of anti-biotics!
    Let us know. Did you sleep last night or did you worry (about the test)? Hugs to you and to Brian too xoxo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

I am guessing they just say that because when we were going through all the data, she said BRCA mutations can also lead to some other types of cancer, one of which was melanoma. And 3 of my mom's brothers have had that and also her sister (the one that didn't have breast cancer). I will be surprised if I don't have it! :) But for me, knowing is just step 1 of doing something about it. For me, after thinking about for many years, it didn't really pay to know if I wasn't going to take action of some kind. The nice thing is if I do have it, because I am pre-menopausal...I could get the ovaries removed and cut the breast cancer risk by a huge amount. I thought they would have to take blood for the tests, and actually if I had chosen the less expensive lab, they only do blood. I would have had to wait around at the lab to do that though and the spit she just did right then and there at the appt. :) My sister was watching my kids and she said "come right back!" so I was a little concerned about time. My sister only has 1 kid so having all those kids kind of stresses her out, lol! I thought I would have had to come back for a separate appointment to do the actual testing so I was glad it was all wrapped up in one visit. Now I am just crossing my fingers that insurance approves it right away so I can get the results quickly. My appt with my gyn is on sept 23 and I want to be able to discuss my options with her. I talked to my mom yesterday and she said she had a complete hysterectomy....I thought she only had the organs tied back up in 2003, but no, she said the doctor (same gyn that I see) recommended taking it all out with her history. So it will be interesting to see what is recommended to me if I am BRCA positive. My mom said the dr said her ovaries were all shriveled up when they took them out. And my mother in law had a complete hysterectomy at age 31 so having talked to 2 people with that, it didn't sound bad at all.

Logy is doing better, he slept all night...of course I was up late so it didn't help me any! :) I think the test was on my mind a little bit. But I have at least 5 weeks before I find anything out so I can't spend too much time worrying.

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi dear friend,
    I just put Sept 23 in my agenda and I'll be thinking of you that day. You have done everything you possibly can to think this through so whatever will be, will be and you will deal with it. Hysterectomies these days are not nearly so invasive as they used to be. It's still something, but at least the surgery is pinhole. I'm so glad that Logy is better and I sure hope you get a good night sleep tonight! The heat wave has broken here and I slept better last night. I hope it's the same for you tonight!
    Sending a hug, xo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Lisa))))))

I'm glad for you that you were able to take the test, and I'm praying that you can just set that aside now and not worry or wonder. It's amazing that medical science is able to identify and test for the BRCA gene, as well as correlate familial data to give you information so that you can act preventively. Or at least have a choice.

Glad to hear that Caitlin is doing well and that Logy is feeling better.

Get some good, sound sleep!!!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.