Thread: New Florida Nursing Homes/Kids with Disabilities News STory

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default New Florida Nursing Homes/Kids with Disabilities News STory

Hi Rose and all others who care about this issue:
    Just saw this new article today! http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-nursing-homes
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Glad to see it is being investigated. I thought the saddest statistic was when they stated that the death rate was 50% higher for kids over 3 in institutions vs those who stayed in home. Wow. What I really like to do after reading things like this is to read the comments people write after the articles. Very eye opening...some of the crude comments people post. However, there were quite a few interesting discussions in the comments. One thing I do wonder about is why nursing homes don't try out having a pediatric wing or a young adult wing like they have the specialized Alzheimer wings?

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Donna))))))

Thank you for posting about this issue. Jim found an article this morning about it, and I was going to post it as an update to our last discussion here on Florida's institutionalization policy.

This is excellent news. The Olmstead Act has been in place for 14 years, but the federal government sat idly by, while states violated it repeatedly. I am grateful to our current administration for finally enforcing this law.

Hooray! At Last! People with disabilities are being noticed and given attention.

But, the statement by the Florida AHCA Secretary demonstrates that Florida just doesn't get it:

The state is very unhappy about the lawsuit. AHCA Secretary Liz Dudek released a statement Monday disputing the allegations, saying, "Florida has made many improvements in its already strong program of caring for medically complex children and helping their families cope with their everyday challenges. Today's Obama Administration action shows that Washington is not interested in helping families improve but instead is determined to file disruptive lawsuits with the goal of taking over control and operation of Florida's Medicaid and disability programs."

How is shuttering severely disabled children away in a geriatric nursing home "helping families to improve?"

The article states that children over the age of 3 years have a 50% higher death rate in nursing homes than in their own homes. So much for Florida's "strong program."

Furthermore, it is a violation of FEDERAL LAW, and the state receives federal money to provide care for these children in the appropriate setting. The federal government is in charge, not the state.

Hello, Florida? You violated a federal law and the civil rights of these children and their families, while misusing federal funds. You are a State, not a separate country. I hope the Feds take you to the cleaners and keep a very close eye on you forever.

Maybe we are finally making progress in securing the rights of persons with disabilities. I hold onto hope.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.