Thread: GRANT's 25th BIRTHDAY BASH YOUR ARE INVITED TO CONTRIBUTE AND OTHER INFO

Distinguished Community Member

Default GRANT's 25th BIRTHDAY BASH YOUR ARE INVITED TO CONTRIBUTE AND OTHER INFO

GRANT’S 25th BIRTHDAY BASH AND YOURU CAN CONTRIBUTE

G’day neuro buddies old and new.

Grant’s news is that he turns 25 this week and on Saturday we are having the birthday bash of the century. No mucking about here. Fantastic food, about 55 guests, and our beautiful and talented daughter Alicia is performing with the group that she is in AbbaSession  Here is a link to whet your appetites.
    http://www.abbasession.com/

‘Goodness. Grant turns 25. How is this possible?’ I can hear you thinking.

Well God’s mighty hand has been on Grant for his whole life, bringing him through crisis after crisis. Grant was nicknamed ‘Grant the champ’, by his former ped neurologist, because he keeps coming back just like in the film ‘Rocky’. 66 admissions into hospital via ambulance in status. Six admissions into ICU and intubated. But Grant just keeps coming back doesn’t he 

HUMBLED

We are quite humbled by God’s awesome provision in so many ways. For example we have never had to spend a cent on Grant regarding his needs. His needs have always been provided for by DHS (Department of Human Services), via Grant’s various packages that he has had over the years.

We have had provided to us the Grantmobile, which was given unconditionally about 14 years ago. Cost then $52,000! Whew, that is lot of money. We have evaporative cooling and air conditioning costing thousands of dollars but not costing us a cent. Recently we had Grant’s bathroom gutted from top to bottom and a walk in shower installed plus a bath that goes up and down (not installed yet), plus of course other extras for the bathroom. Cost, just under $24,000. All funds provided by Gant’s package.
    Grant’s package is paying for his new wheelchair. Total cost $15,000.

I could go on and on about Grant being provided for, but as you can see all his physical needs are being provided for.

At the emotional level, God very early on healed Grant of the crying that he did almost all the time when we started caring for him. He now is as happy as can be. God has given him a spirit of contentment.

TODAY

Grant is in top form and in championship mode. We did have a hospital hiccup a few months back and Grant needed to be rushed in. But he was only in a ward for 36 hours and then home on the range. He is the best he has ever been regarding his health.

Grant’s weight is a very healthy, for him, 52 kilos, which is just right. His bowels are fine, his urinary output okay, and no other problems at all. We have a great neurologist who is on the ball and a very caring man. His newish hospital (transferred 3 years ago) is great and only 30 minutes away.

JOINT GUARDIAN

Towards the end of last year the joint medical guardian Joanne (not her real name) felt that as I was such a good carer of Grant, she no longer needed to continue on as joint medical guardian. A court hearing was coming up and she was happy to step down. I asked Joanne if she would be kind enough to stay on because no hospital every argues with the organisation that she is with. If a client of the organisation is seen not to be cared for properly by a hospital then the organisation will take the hospital to court overnight if necessary. They have the money, the clout and the lawyers to do this. It is wonderful to have Joanne as joint medical guardian. But it even gets better :) Although Joanne has been transferred to another department, she very kindly agreed to remain as joint medical guardian for Grant. How unreal is that!

GRANDPARENTS IN WAITING

Alicia is expecting a baby girl in November. We are going to be grandparents for the first time. We are or course absolutely thrilled. Couldn’t be better timing really as Alison will be retiring in about 2 years. I of course have made plans already. Our grandchild will be a great pianist, a great singer, a great artist (following after Alison) a great inventor (following after Alicia’s husband) and a great sculptor, following after Alicia’s father in law. Oh and of course our grandchild will be a good swimmer and table tennis player also. Just warming up here.

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE

I want all of you who have been around for a while, to write a few paragraphs, wishing Grant a happy birthday. Share a little of your thoughts about him. I will print a guest book for the birthday bash and include your entries for everyone to read. Also, during the speeches, I will read a few of the birthday wishes. So get cracking and write something nice for Grant the champ.

GRANT THE CHAMP. A LIFE WORTH LIVING.

Next year I plan publishing a book about Grant. And it will a proper publication published via Amazon. Some of the birthday wishes will go in the book.

Last year at the school that Alison teaches and where I used to teach they had a ball to celebrate the 40th birthday of the school. We all got dressed up and went along. Here are some photos of Grant at the ball.

Well, that’s about all our exciting news for now.

IMPORTANT

Don’t forget to send some birthday wishes for inclusion in the guest book.

With love and best wishes to you all.

BALL 2 of GRANT.jpgBALL 1 of GRANT.jpg

Paul, Alison and of course the one and only, Grant the champ.
    Last edited by Paul from Australia; 07-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi Paul!

Forgot to say on fb, CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a Grandpa! :) I finally had time to watch Alicia's Abba video...they sound awesome! Anyway, here is my paragraph for the birthday book:

Happy 25th birthday Grant! It has been wonderful these past many years getting to know you and your family through all the posts on BrainTalk. I can remember the earlier years when we knew Grant as the Champ, it was inspiring to read how he overcame his rough start and many health issues to bounce back and return home from the hospital stays to his loving family. It has been such a blessing to be able to connect with friends around the world who are also caring for a family member with special needs. It makes the load seem lighter to be able to share all the troubles and joys we experience. I am so glad that Grant’s health has been so stable lately. Praying he has a happy and healthy 25th year and many more! Lisa O from USA :) (you can write my whole name in the book)

Hope the party is a blast!
    Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Paul, Grant & Alison))))))

What a nice surprise to see you here after all of these months, Paul. I've thought of you often and wondered how you, Grant, Alison, and Alicia were. Since I'm not on FB, I've probably missed out on a few updates.

How wonderful to hear that Grant's health is stable. He looks terrific in the photos, such thick and dark hair he has now! You and Alison also look very smart.

Congratulations to Alicia and her husband and you, Alison and Grant on the anticipated new arrival. How exciting!

HAPPY 25th BIRTHDAY GRANT!

In the 13 years I have known you, Champ, on line through your devoted Dad, Paul, I have admired your courage and determination to beat all of the odds against you. You have done that so many times. That's what a Champ does. No matter the obstacles in your way, you battle to overcome them and emerge victorious.

On your birthday, we celebrate your 25 years of bravery and victories. We honor your indomitable spirit and your sweet innocence. We give thanks for our answered prayers for you.

We praise your mom and dad for their loving care and advocacy for you, and your sister, family, caregivers, and agency representatives, who have helped you to reach this milestone.

And we thank you, Grant, The Champ, for the blessings you have given to us in the lessons of life, which we have learned from you. It is an honor to celebrate YOU on your special day!

With wishes and prayers for your continued health and all of the happiness your heart can hold ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Dear Grant, Paul, Alison and Alicia,
    Grant, congratulations on reaching the grand old age of 25! You are a young man now and my family has watched you grow and cheered you on through your good times and through your challenges. Your milestone birthday is to be celebrated the world over by people who know how much you contribute to humanity. Grant, you make the world a better place by your example of serenity, strength, will to live and positive energy! I am proud to know you (even if we are cyber friends)!

Paul and Alison, we have walked the walk and talked the talk. You guys should open a bottle of champagne and give Grant a drop in his Peg as well! You have beaten all the odds and serve as an example to all of society everywhere. The power of love will out.

With lots of love and best wishes for a very Happy Birthday to Grant!
    Donna, Jim, Nicholas and Natalie Wright
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com