Thread: Some like it hot....

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Default Some like it hot....

but not me! Had to turn our air off, it froze up and stopped working. :( My uncle's son in law (who partners with him for the a/c side business) is coming tomorrow to fix it....I am so glad!!! 84 in here right now, I opened the windows up...I get really cranky over 78 degrees. On facebook one of my aunts said I should go over to my parents....I am kindof thinking about maybe driving over there (only 10 min away) and sleeping on their couch so I can recharge my energy. Need to recharge since I only got 3 hours of sleep last night....

Caitlin threw up again last evening. I was about to leave to grocery shop and I said to Brian I would put her jammies on and tuck her into bed before I left. When I brought her jammies into the living room where she was, she was laying on her side sleeping...weird as she always is on her back. I rolled her over to wake her up and heard the 'warning noise' (like when cats work up a hairball) and grabbed her jammies and caught it. :( Brian got me a dishtowel too as it just kept coming up. I just tossed those into the garbage, I am so behind on laundry. Got her in the shower and cleaned her up and French braided her hair so in case of more it would have a better chance to stay clean (so glad!!!). It just came out of nowhere again and with the weird falling asleep, I took her to the ER. Had a super nice doctor...same one we saw twice in april! He even remembered what we were watching (the last airbender cartoon) when we came in back then! He was so nice, didn't make her get all the useless CYA tests (like cathing for urine/bladder infection-she's never had one but they ALWAYS test for that!). Just ordered a xray shunt series & CT for her to check her shunt out. Those all came back normal so we got to go home. She had thrown up again in the parking lot when I arrived at ER and also in the exam room, but that ended up being all of it (so glad!!).

After I got her home and back in bed and asleep, I went to the grocery store finally! I prefer to go there alone (no kids) and no time during the day to do it that way so off I went at 11:30pm. On the way home, I hit a skunk! Oh it smelled awful!! Since I was up so late anyway, I went thru the carwash in the village before going home. It helped a little.

Just to make my week even better, we have been invaded by wasps. Oh yeah. All over the front of the house and since sunday, I have been unable to go out our front door as they are going between the soffit and brick. So I am hoping C is well enough to go to school (she did well today, but I kept her home anyway) as I have the bug guy coming in the morning to spray and then the a/c getting fixed in the afternoon! Ugh! When it rains it pours it seems!!! Brian even saw one in the bonus room over the garage so now I have been not going in there (our storage/junk area). I sprayed a little bit with cans of wasp spray and was able to knock 2 nests down that were in my reach today. And tonight I was watching my nephew and set up the sprinkler in the back and the boys pointed out big bees under our cement patio! I got my can of wasp spray and gave them a shot of that...one flew away but the others didn't survive. I think they were just starting to build a nest so I am hoping I nipped that in the bud. That was right next to the back door so that would really be bad if they got in there! Unfortuantely that is just one of all the list of projects I am not getting done this summer with being so busy. I planted a Japanese maple last fall where the patio drops down to the lawn (probably a 3 ft drop for back exposure windows to the basement) and was going to get some dirt and woodchips and some perennials and cover the side of the patio up so critters didn't make a home under the cement...maybe in the fall I will have some time....

Hope everyone's week is going better than this!! :)

Lisa O.

PS, forgot to say, got my 10 page cancer/genetic screening packet today. So glad for internet! Was able to fill out a lot of it by looking up stuff online (obituaries and birth dates and stuff). My parents are up north this week so I have to wait til they get back to finish it.
    Last edited by andromeda31; 07-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Oh Lisa, it sounds like the plagues from the Bible or something! Boy, I'm sending prayers for better luck in your household. Otherwise you might have to call in some kind of ghostbusters team or something. Thinking of you my friend and hoping that today is a BETTER DAY!!!! xox
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Wow what a week! You've had more than your share of setbacks this week that's for sure. Praying that as Donna put it the "plagues" are over. I hope today is the start of a calmer time in your house.
    We've had a terrible problem with bees this year too. They like the pool and nest in any hidden part of it. My husband just sprayed over half a dozen nests. Also got stung about 5 times in his hands.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

((((((Lisa))))))

I can't decide whether you're experiencing Biblical plagues or you're caught in a bizarre Hitchcock movie! YIKES!

What is causing Caitlin to throw up periodically? Could it be a medication side effect? A food reaction/allergy? If it was a bug, you'd all be tossing your cookies. So, I wonder what might be causing her to vomit ????

Once again, your guardian angel is watching over you. You were right there to catch it with her jammies. (Bag and dispose. Good idea!)

Do you have any trees or flowers, which might attract wasps and bees? Our neighbor had an ornamental fig, which wasps adored. They built a nest in the gas tank of our old van, sitting on our driveway. Twice. Had to get the terminator here to bomb them out of the gas tank! We finally convinced the neighbor to have the tree removed.

Let me see if I have this right: ER with Caitlin; store at 11:30 p.m.; hit skunk; went through car wash; returned home, unloaded groceries and put them away.

WOW!

My prayers are: Caitlin stops vomiting; the bug man eradicated your wasps/bees; the cousin-in-law repaired the A/C, and you're cool as cucumbers now; you found some industrial strength Febreze or threw tomatoes on your car to rid it of skunk smell; all goes well with your genetic screening; you enjoy a much calmer and less eventful rest of the summer.

Bless your heart!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Hi!

A good day today...the bug guy came while I was picking up Logan at school this morning...didn't see any wasps when I pulled up! I did see one later in the day trying to get in the front by the brick but I went and got my can and sprayed it. I think I will just have to keep an eye on that area from now on. I read an article online about not plugging those holes to let any eggs hatch and go out the hole they made and not make a new hole into your house. I am planning to caulk it shut late in the fall so they can't come back next spring, it would bother me too much to just leave it permanently open. We have a lot of trees and shrubs so that probably doesn't help much. I love the flowering shrubs and have better luck with those than planting flowers. :) Plus with the pond right next to the house there is a big source of water and mud for them too. I am going to also plan to have the bug guy come twice a summer from now on, we had only been spraying in the spring, but it just isn't enough I think.

Caitlin was better today. I mostly worry that it could be intermittent plugging up of her shunt causing the vomiting but if that is the case, it will keep happening and then I will involve her neurosurgeon. Watch and wait! Tomorrow is her last day of ESY and they are going to a hotel to swim in the pool so I am glad she doesn't have to miss that fun trip! We have her neurology appt next Friday so I am glad to be able to mention this to a doctor soon just in case. We haven't changed up any meds in a long time so I don't suspect those.

I am a night owl. :) I have given up trying to fight that. It is funny because Brian is an early bird, usually snoring on the couch by 9. That night was super late though even for me. I got home from the store at 1am and then had to put the groceries away and by then I was wide awake so I went on the computer for a bit. I caught up a little last night and hopefully will feel back to normal tomorrow. I am looking forward to august and no more driving kids all over town every day! I am actually getting started on the back to school shopping, all the good sales (for supplies) start this week and they send their lists home at the end of the year with their report cards which is nice. The a/c is fixed, it was quite low on Freon he said so he filled it up and we are working our way down to 74...almost there! And boy can I feel the difference in my attitude!! :)

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

So glad to hear it was a better day. I hope it's one of many to follow. That's good that you already have a neurology appointment coming up it's always reasuring to run something like this past them if you can. Kathleen didn't do ESY, She had the srugery, but we usually forgo it anyway do some extra "rehabilitative" therapy (usually for her left arm that she doesn't use) since they don't really cover this much in school. It's ahrd to believe the back to school stuff is out I feel like it just ended. I'm a procastinator so it won't get done till Aug. I hope your wasp problem is solved for the summer...
    Mary G.

Thanks! Unfortunately I saw a few wasps today, had a can of generic spray in the garage but I sprayed it right on them and it didn't do anything. I am going to buy some cans of Raid brand tonight so I can keep ahead of it. The nice thing is our ESY is only 3hrs mon-thurs so not too time consuming. I think Caitlin will miss all the ladies, she really really liked them all! I asked about school lists since at the elementary school, I didn't have to buy the regular grade list for Caitlin, the CD class had it's own list. The summer school teacher said she didn't know (she teaches at the high school typically)...she said that another teacher was hired this week (for fall) so Caitlin might be having this new teacher from the way it sounded. I think I will wait to buy her stuff until I know for sure. :) I don't like to wait too long...one year when C had a hospitalization in the summer (3 wks-shunt infection), I ended up buying late in august and I couldn't find certain things! Things you wouldn't expect to sell out like Crayola markers and such. It was really weird! Caitlin had a fun time on their swimming trip today, they said she went down the water slide 5 times!! Hope Kathleen is recovering well!!

Lisa O.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Lisa))))))

So happy to hear that Caitlin is well and that she had fun at the pool today.

And you've checked off of your list:

A/C was an easy fix. Mama's cool and content now.

Bugs are at bay. There might be a few strong ones still battling to maintain their territory, but eventually they will move on.

Timing for the neuro appointment is perfect.

You're stylin'!

Enjoy your break from chauffeuring and relax! You have most definitely earned it!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Sounds like Caitlin enjoyed the field trip! It's so wonderful that she didn't miss it. I find it easier to get what Kathleen needs after school starts and we really see what her schedule is like. I found with my older kids they'de give us a huge list and not use half of what we bought, or a certian teacher would want something different than the list. I buy a few neccessary things I know they will use and then get the rest. I hope you enjoy your time away from chauffeuring for a bit.
    Kathleen is recovering well thanks. Still gets some bladder spasms but it's expected and advil or tylenol seem to help. she doesn't mind me flushing the tube now but still hates me changing the dressing. We're counting down the days till we get the tube out. She's really been a trooper walking around with me behind carrying the bag. She jsut tells me "be careful".
    Mary G.