Thread: SSDI --" But the big problem is no insurance for 2 years" (to quote one of us MSers!

Default SSDI --" But the big problem is no insurance for 2 years" (to quote one of us MSers!

Hello all,

I am blessed to have succeeded in my application to the SSA the first time around. It's enough that they make disability application insurmountable. It's cruel and insulting. What politicians have been vocal in expressing concern? (I can't think of any.)

But how can they trap a disabled applicant in a labyrinthine process without empathy?

And then torment the approved applicant with a 2-year wait for Medicare. It's not a privilege, it's a human right.

Does anyone know of any groups organized in protesting this? When I mention the 2-year wait for health coverage after SSDI approval, people gasp.

Be well,

Agent107

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

That just stinks!!! and makes no sense at all. Is there
    any kind of challenge your Lawyer can mount?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Hi Sally,

I didn't have an attorney. Am wondering if there is an association or organization advocating the repeal this horrifying regulation.

This 2-year rule is mean, and more . .

Still Stunned,

agent107

Distinguished Community Member

Coalition to End the the two-year wait for medicare. It includes the National MS Society. See here:

http://www.medicarerights.org/pdf/tw...ity-letter.pdf

I couldn't quickly find anything since 2010.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your success!

There have been outcries from newspapers and legislators from time to time about the inequities of the SSDI system, especially the 24-month wait for Medicare. A couple of bills to end the 24-month wait were introduced in Congress in 2009-2010 but so far I haven't found out what happened to them.

This link tells about the House bill but the information is from 2009. There is a long list of organizations supporting the bill though, and contacting some of them might produce more up-to-date results.

http://green.house.gov/press-release...-year-medica-0
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Hi everyone. I applied for disability in 1988. I was turned down several times. My ex carried me on his company policy until we divorced in 91. Then I went on 3 years of Cobra at over $300 a month. When that ended the price quadrupled so I droped it. Since I never got a disability label I was never eligible for Medicaid.

I went several years without any insurance unti I reached 65 and got Medicare. I was lucky that I had no major medical expense during those years. I now have Medicare as my secondary insurance and Care Plus for my primary. All my RX's are covered now but during those years I paid out a lot for meds.

I hope they do something about that 2 year wait. I also think they should be able to include those who file for disability even if SS decides they are able to work. At the time I was blind, paralyzed on one side and having bladder and bowel problems.

They said I could not do registered nursing any longer but I "should" be able to do some kind of work. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member

When I was first Dx'ed I had 2 kids that were insulin dependent diabetics. Plus my MS stuff. So until we needed to refinance the house (after the fire) I had a huge pile of bills. Since I owned a house and a car I did not qualify for any type of assistance. I was able to pay them all off with the insurance from the house insurance.

I have always thought that the 2 year wait is really to see if you might just die and save the Medicare folks a bundle of money. I am sure that they have a reason but it isn't right and if I was able to get adequate medical care during the first two years I would not have the problems that I have now.

I tried getting insurance through my wife's work but at the end of the month she ended up owing the school district money. No kidding they called her into the office and said sorry but you owe us another $28.00.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have always thought that the 2 year wait is really to see if you might just die and save the Medicare folks a bundle of money. I am sure that they have a reason but it isn't right and if I was able to get adequate medical care during the first two years I would not have the problems that I have now.
    I think you're definitely on the road to understanding how the system works, Gary.

If you look on the National MS Society Website you'll find a number of campaigns to put an end to the 24-month wait but they seem to be going on in various states and not very recently.

http://lammain.nationalmssociety.org...ocacy_homepage
    Last edited by agate; 07-15-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

am heading out, ann -- thanks for the start and recommendation to start with nms -- will report to all on progress -- would not have gotten this ssdi app w/out you all --

agent orange