Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying New Bed - can I have some Opinions on what kind you have and is it good...

Question Buying New Bed - can I have some Opinions on what kind you have and is it good...

I know this has been talked about over and over, but now is the time I need opinions and reviews. Is the memory foam the best? I have a 4 inch memory foam topper on my 17 year old mattress. It is ok, but I want to know what is best. I have had 6 spine surgeries, have stenosis, maybe arachnoiditis, bulging disks, DDD. I am considering all mattresses and beds. Sleep number is one I've heard about. I guess I need to go and try them all, but if there are any I should avoid, I'd appreciate any info, good or bad. Seems silly, but it may be the most important decision I've had to make in a long while.

Thanks in advance to all who reply! Maryanne
    Herniated L4/L5 1998, Lami 8/99, Fusion 10/99, Fusion with Hardware 11/00, 2/13/06 fusion on L3/L4, emerg surgery 2/26/06 to stop spinal fluid leak and MRSA,3/10/10 Herniated L2/L3, fusion, replace hardware L3/4

Distinguished Community Member

I bought a memory foam mattress not too long ago & i really like it. does get hot however. hope this helps.

Community Member

I purchased a tempurpedic mattress about 4 to 5 years ago. It was well worth the extra money. I sleep much better since we got the mattress and I have less back pain flare-ups. I attribute this to the mattress.

Marmar, we bought a memory foam mattress and it has really helped my wife except that it holds the heat in. Unfortunately I still can't sleep in bed and have to sleep in my zero gravity chair. We got the new mattress for both of us and it has really been good for my wife and better for me but not good enough. The only other bed that I know people really like is the Sleep Number bed but I have no experience with it.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Default Thanks!

I had a feeling memory foam would be a hot item. I was also thinking about those beds that raise your head up and also raise your knees. Almost a hospital bed, but bigger, LOL! Thanks for the replies so far. I have until early next year to decide, so keep those reviews coming!

Sorry, Mark, that you sleep in your chair. That can't be fun for you or your wife. It is horrible what this does to us, and what we will do for a decent night's sleep...
    Herniated L4/L5 1998, Lami 8/99, Fusion 10/99, Fusion with Hardware 11/00, 2/13/06 fusion on L3/L4, emerg surgery 2/26/06 to stop spinal fluid leak and MRSA,3/10/10 Herniated L2/L3, fusion, replace hardware L3/4

marmar, it isn't much fun for us to have me sleep in my chair but it is sleep in my chair or not sleep at all. My life is so disrupted with pain, discomfort, and poor sleep that it often feels like I ignore my wife or at least I am not doing as much as I want with her. She has adjusted to it though and it doesn't cause a problem other than with my own feelings of failing.

They now have memory foam mattresses that have a cooling gel next to your body and it supposedly stops the night sweats.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Default Terrible time sleeping

Thanks, Mark! I have terrible flushing from Roscea and get overheated very easily. A cooling in the mattress would be great. My sleep is terrible. With the pain, allergies, sleep apnea and a cat, I never get restorative sleep, so I'm tired every day, and sleep 10-12 hours. I hope a better mattress will help a little. I bought a Zeo Sleep device, which you wear on your forehead while you sleep. It tells when you are in the different stages of sleep, and when you wake up. After wearing it for a month, I knew why I was always tired.

image.jpg

This is a pic of a bad nights sleep. At least I know why I'm so tired all the time. Since I don't have a partner to tell me I snore, or whatever, I would never know I woke up, etc. so it was very helpful.

Man, the image is so small, but the graph shows that if the white part is up to the top, you are awake. The next step down is light REM sleep. The third is light sleep and the bottom is deep, restorative sleep. So the bars to the top show how much you wake up, and not even know it!
    Last edited by Marmar; 07-11-2013 at 01:22 PM.

marmar, our pain causes so many associated issues like sleep apnea and it is no wonder most of us have very bad sleep patterns. I would gladly give up 12 hours a day to feel so much better. I had a 8 week stretch 4 years ago where I slept every night for 10 or more hours and I felt so much better every day. Unfortunately it ended as mysteriously as it started and I have no idea what caused it. I have tried every combo of conditions and meds to try and get decent sleep but nothing helps.

I hope a new mattress helps you out as I know my wife sleeps much better with our memory foam mattress.

Haven't been back here for a month or two.....but got sidetracked by something I was looking at, ended up at a spinal site, which led me back - and here I am...

Anyway, I forget the exact number, but I think the life span of a mattress is 10-12 years according to Consumer Reports -- it is like five years according to the mattress people. In other words, you should replace the darn things every decade or so, depending.

Probably depending on weight, or other "uses."

So, you probably need a new bed, no matter what kind.

I have a "foam/gel" pillow I have been using for exactly a month. $12 at Big Lots. $50 at every other store. I love it and it seems to do good things for my cervical woes. It's a "Serta" brand, but is made by sleep innovations (the name on the actual tag on the pillow).

A "girlfriend" of the past had used one and loved it, so when I saw it at Big Lots had to bite. But, I don't think I would want a foam mattress.

I think you could do fine on a "traditional," but you are not going to get anything good for less than about $1200 or so for a queen....

Try Consumer Reports, etal. Your library would have free copies. I am currently on the Westin "heavenly bed," which I bought at a premium through Westin Hotels -- although I got a somewhat discount/deal because I sleep at Westins a few dozen times a year.

Anyway, sleeping on those mattresses, I came to love the Westin Heavenly Bed and I love mine at home. I got sort of a "free trial" during my business trips.

But, again, it was pricey. Someone, once, however, told me that you take the price, divide it by numbers of sleep nights, say some mumbo-jumbo and throw some dirt in the air and you will see that the price is actually pretty cheap on a per-night basis.

dave.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HellBoundTroll View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haven't been back here for a month or two.....but got sidetracked by something I was looking at, ended up at a spinal site, which led me back - and here I am...
    Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by HellBoundTroll View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But, again, it was pricey. Someone, once, however, told me that you take the price, divide it by numbers of sleep nights, say some mumbo-jumbo and throw some dirt in the air and you will see that the price is actually pretty cheap on a per-night basis.

dave.
    I agree when you consider how long you will own the bed the price doesn't seem as bad.

I'm in the market for a new bed myself but have no clue as to which one would be best for me. I'd like to try one of those sleep number beds. Right now I have a queen size box spring with a pillow top and it's starting to look like a taco
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast