Thread: Autism

Default Autism

Autoimmun Rev. 2013 Jul 3. pii: S1568-9972(13)00122-5. doi: 10.1016/j.autrev.2013.06.018. [Epub ahead of print]

The "missing link" in autoimmunity and autism: Extracellular mitochondrial components secreted from activated live mast cells.

Theoharides TC, Asadi S, Panagiotidou S, Weng Z.

Source

Molecular Immunopharmacology and Drug Discovery Laboratory, Department of Molecular Physiology and Pharmacology Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA, USA; Department of Biochemistry, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA, USA; Department of Internal Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA, USA; Department of Psychiatry, Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA, USA; Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA. Electronic address: theoharis.theoharides@tufts.edu.

Abstract

Autoimmune diseases continue to increase, but the reason(s) remain obscure and infections have not proven to be major contributors. Mast cells are tissue immune cells responsible for allergies, but have been increasingly shown to be involved in innate and acquired immunity, as well as inflammation. This involvement is possible because of their ability to release multiple mediators in response to a great variety of triggers. We recently published that activation of mast cells is accompanied by mitochondrial fission and translocation to the cell surface from where they secrete at least ATP and DNA outside the cell without cell damage. These extracellular mitochondrial components are misconstrued by the body as "innate pathogens" leading to powerful autocrine and paracrine auto-immune/auto-inflammatory responses. We also showed that mitochondrial DNA is increased in the serum of young children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), a condition that could involve "focal brain allergy/encephalitits." Blocking the secretion of extracellular mitochondrial components could present unique possibilities for therapy of ASD and other autoimmune diseases. Unique formulation of the flavonoid luteolin offers unique advantages.

KEYWORDS:

ATP, DNA, autism, autoimmunity, inflammation, innate pathogens, mast cells, mitochondria

But how do they know infections (stealth pathogens) aren't responsible for triggering mast cell degranulation to begin with??

I mean, many researchers have found increasing evidence of allergy and/or infection involved with Autism and Autoimmune disorders. And then there is Methylation. Genomic Variants in the Methylation pathway genes has also been connected with Autism, Autoimmunity, and many other disorders. And some stealth pathogens (Lyme, etc.) are known to damage mitochondria, possibly playing a role in triggering methylation defects as well.

Just thinkin' out loud (on my keyboard, LOL!),

-Razzle
    Gluten Sensitivity, GF since 2005
    Lyme, and many other issues
    Last edited by Razzle0; 07-10-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

I doubt they will find only one cause. I believe autism is multifactorial as Razzle has pointed out.
    Anne
    Last edited by annelb; 07-10-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Hmmm - I looked at the post and there was an image attached. I logged in and the image disappeared. Hope my account is not compromised.