Thread: furniture,and cardboard allergies

Distinguished Community Member

Default furniture,and cardboard allergies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furniture

furniture,and cardboard allergies

wanted to move so i didnt buy furniture

i googled it cardboard can cause allergy

People with allergies to cardboard are not allergic to the cardboard itself, but to an adhesive resin used in the manufacture of cardboard. This resin is called P-Tertiary-butylphenol formaldehyde resin (PTBP). It is also used to make plastics, plywood, varnish and some leather products. People with cardboard allergies are sometimes also allergic to shoes and plastics that contain PTBP.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6020277_al...cardboard.html

i got very sick i think from cardboard or dust

58 and i never even heard of this

do i need some IKEA?
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Ikea has lots of formaldehyde. Stay away from the off-gasing stuff.
    “The revolutionary act of treating ourselves tenderly can begin to undo the aversive messages of a lifetime.”
    ~ Tara Brach, “Radical Acceptance”

Quote Originally Posted by Mari View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ikea has lots of formaldehyde. Stay away from the off-gasing stuff.
    it puts out gas?

you had some?

hard to beleive
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

clouds yup folmadhyde stuff is a big no no. i hope you are getting over it now. way back when i was having trouble at work, new paint, place had mold of all kinds and dust etc. my doctor said the fol well anyway i can't spell but that was the only thing that i needed to get them to do somethiong about bad work place. i finally just quit after years of being sick. i had 3 itis one time, mastoiditis, sinsuitis and one more can't remember as it was a long time ago but there were 3 and a lot of meds to go with it.
    Last edited by joy; 06-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.

maybe the new paint and carpet screwed me up too

i use to mow, stirred up dust at times but after i stopped that i got so much better. have you moved or were you just painting and still at same place clouds?

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((clouds z))))))

Lots of chemicals in new carpet, especially if the carpet is Scotch Guarded or treated to prevent stains. Commercial carpet cleaners use chemicals.

Paint chemicals, and solvents used for cleaning up, can cause all kinds of adverse reactions.

Furniture made of pressboard, and glued together, rather than dovetailed is more toxic than solid wood furniture. But solid wood furniture will have varnish and stain on it ~ chemicals. Fabrics on furniture will have Scotch Guard. Laminate flooring ~ chemicals. Linoleum ~ chemicals. Vinyl tiles ~ chemicals.

We off-gas everything outside for at least a week, before we bring it into the house. But we also avoid products that are noxious or toxic, as much as possible. We order our paint on line from Bio Shield paints. We removed all of our carpet and installed Pergo flooring, which of course, is laminate. But we off-gassed every plank for a couple of weeks before installing the floors. We needed laminate floors to accomodate wheelchairs and hospital beds. Also carpeting holds dust, and laminate floors don't and are quite easy to keep clean.

Another factor to consider is pest control. Was the place into which you moved tented for termite/pest control prior to you moving in? Or was it sprayed inside for ants or roaches?

I hope you're feeling much better now.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

all of this is true and you can imagine how dismayed that i was when my family doctor for ages who had treated me for everything told me that the folmayhyde was the only thing that i could use when someone call for me and reported how bad that the fumes, paint both for walls and furniture on top of the already in place mold from leaking places and dust from old books etc (in a library on bottom floor up to 80 degrees in my office and moved to top floor where it was cold and and in front of room that housed many instruments that run the place. it was awful i had 3 itis' at one time once working in that place. but he assured me that it took the fold.. t win a caase against college.

not any sick syndrome building was going to work. this was ages ago and i would hope things have changed. i had no intentions of doing that but did quit my job after only 5 years. i wanted 10 so i could draw a pension of some type at least. decided my health was worth something so finally gave up. i was to be moved into a new section but at that time it seemed like it would be way to lng until it was finished to hang in there. i was sad to leave my job as i worked typing difficult things for 6 professionals. i type with 2 fingers now so

i not long after quitting is when my idiopathic p. neuropathy started and it continues progressing ... i hope the rules have c hanged by now. i can not even stand to be in a room with many candle burning. once started losing my voice and had congestion when they had a christmas party in room lit by candles it satarted same day, and i was so allergic to cigarette smoke etc.

now that i control who smokes where in my house (no one, lol) and no longer mow outside etc basically stay inside, lol i am so much better and no longer use 4 inhalers and nose sprays.
    Last edited by joy; 07-01-2013 at 08:18 AM.