Thread: I quit coffee!

Default I quit coffee!

As part of the attempted 3 day juice fast I embarked upon a few weeks ago (and didn't last a day), I quit drinking coffee. I've been talking about removing coffee/caffeine from my diet some day, but this was my first attempt. I haven't had a cup since...its been at least 3 weeks. I really don't miss it! What I liked most was the anticipation of sitting down with a cup of coffee to start my day, but I'm surprised by how easily I have gotten over that emotional attachment, too. When I do miss it, I just fire up the tea kettle and make myself a pot of herbal tea. I don't know for sure, but I think I will probably just stay off coffee at this point. I was suspecting I might be allergic to it because I would get such crashes after drinking it, similar to a sugar crash. I really do think those have abated. I may still have periods where I feel sleepy but they are not the CRASH that I used to feel...where I felt drugged and could not stay awake. Overall, I feel more alert and that I have more energy (something I am always battling for). It has also helped some with urinary urgency and frequency... just not quite as big of a problem for me now.

I do still enjoy a little sugar fix. I hardly have any sugar these days, but I used to love the sweetened flavored creamers in my coffee, and now I like a little honey in my tea. Hoping the honey is a wee bit better for me than the sugared flavored creamers. The sugar I do have is usually in the form of raisins or fruit. I still try not to eat the cookies, candies, etc; I do fine if it isn't in the house, but not so fine when it is in the house. Jana just brought home a half package of glutino chocolate chip cookies. They had an end of the year party in choir and the girl doing the buying didn't want Jana to be without anything to eat, so she bought her gf cookies. I love that her teachers and friends look out for her :). Anyway, the cookies came home and I had at least 5-6 over two days. They are new I think and actually pretty darn good. That was the problem!

Next thing... some day... I should give up alcohol completely. Not quite there yet.

I recently did the same with green tea Cara. I had switched from coffee to green tea a couple of years ago. The hot beverage of choice in the morning is a way to slowly ease into the day. I can not say I have missed the tea too much. Like you I go for herbal tea if I really feel like having some tea. I can't say I have noticed a difference since I dropped the caffeine, but I imagine I would be sensitive to it if I had some now.

--Judy

I love the taste of coffee, so I miss that a lot when I first quit. I've found some of the coffee substitutes are good, but they almost all have barley in them -- they still claim to be gluten free though. **shrug**

I have cut down... but I haven't stopped yet. Working toward it VERY slowly!

Congratulations, JCC! :)

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Congrats on dropping the coffee. I stopped coffee over 10 yrs ago but I still miss it. I love the smell and the bitter taste. I drank mine black. From time to time I will have a cup of decaf. If I go on a long drive I use half regular and half decaf to keep me from getting sleepy. This worked great on my drive to WI recently. The only other thing I have found that will keep me awake are potato chips. At least the black coffee does not make my blood sugar soar.

At home I drink green tea. I have found that using a coffee maker works great for tea. I tried some of the herbals and so far, I really don't like them.

Anne

Community Member

I just got a msg saying that I'd reached the maximum amount of posts (1) in a minute. So why do they care if I'm a fast poster ... ...

I just restarted coffee but only a little at a time. My doc had some Sozo coffee in her office and I found that it doesn't make me jittery. Its' high in antioxidants too.

Community Member

ha ... trying to post again ... "You have reached the maximum number of posts (1) allowed in a 1 minute period for this forum."

got it again ...

Congratulations!!! I never drank coffee (too bitter for me), but gave up Pepsi at the end of January, and don't miss it at all.