Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wonderful Book for Caregivers and Parents - Book Review

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default A Wonderful Book for Caregivers and Parents - Book Review

http://www.donnathomson.com/2013/05/...review-of.html - I hope you share this, especially with new parents, it's really a great book. The author had her experience caring for her parents who were elderly and ill, but the lessons learned about the health care system, managing longterm care and just about everything from A-Z are so well presented. Lots of interactive forms and checklists and encouragement. It's a wonderful book. Love to you all, xox Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Thank you for this recommendation. Looks like she's covered everything.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Yes, it's very good, especially for a newbie post-diagnosis. Rose, can you imagine if you wrote a guidebook with everything you know? How many volumes would that be ?!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

War and Peace ain't got nothin' on me, Sister Friend!

And Atlas Shrugged is a short story!

Seriously, from just scanning her Facebook page and blog, Cecilia has certainly compiled very helpful and useful information for caregivers. Any tool, which helps us provide better care for our loved ones and ourselves, is valuable.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Donna))))))

War and Peace ain't got nothin' on me, Sister Friend!

And Atlas Shrugged is a short story!

Seriously, from just scanning her Facebook page and blog, Cecilia has certainly compiled very helpful and useful information for caregivers. Any tool, which helps us provide better care for our loved ones and ourselves, is valuable.

Love & Light,

Rose
    LOL I would think so! Writing a book wouldn't be a bad idea though Rose.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

LOL Rose, Atlas Shrugged is a short book - ha! Ayn Rand has nothing on you, my friend. I'm sending you a PM now - xo Donna

Blog Entries

((((((Funnylegs4 & Donna))))))

Thank you!

Actually, you'd be surprised how many books I have started through the years. I just can't get one of them finished!

The closest I have to a completed manuscript is a guidebook for grieving parents, which is a compilation of my on-line column posts. It needs a lot of editing and re-crafting.

I need to be able to concentrate longer than our lifestyle (i.e., Jon's needs) allow. And, unfortunately, the older I get, the less able I am to concentrate the way I would need to do to polish up any manuscript. But it's always in the back of my cluttered mind, because, well, a) I'm a writer, and b) I'm a teacher and want others to benefit from my experience.

Who knows? Maybe when I'm 80, I'll get a burst of energy.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 06-07-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: told ya that I can't concentrate!

Blog Entries

Your guidebook would be fantastic!!! I'd buy 10 copies and give them away (after reading it, of course) to many parents who are friends who NEED your wisdom, Rose! I hope that one day, you will put your thoughts down so that others can benefit from the lessons learned from your extraordinary life. xDonna

Blog Entries

Same here. Finish it someday! You have lived it so you can make a difference.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

((((((Donna & Funnylegs4))))))

For the past 13 years, I have been telling our story. Right here at Brain Talk, on Child Neuro.

I've probably reached more people via what I've written on the internet than I would have reached through book form. The parental grief website had a good amount of global traffic, and I even found myself quoted in a few places around the web, so I know that people were reading and sharing with others.

I've thought about a blog, but I don't really have time for one.

So, what I write here, which is the only place on line, where I write (!) will have to serve as the vessel for my pearls of wisdom!

But I do thank you for your support and encouragement. Believe me, it's not because I don't want to write a dozen books! I do! As a published author, Donna, you know how much work that entails. And I lack time and energy for that task.

Just know that your compliments and enthusiasm touch me deeply.

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast