Thread: Some posts not showing up in a search

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Some posts not showing up in a search

I was searching for posts by a user at the MS board and distinctly remembered a post by that user in the last couple of days. It didn't show up in a search for that person's posts although it's clearly there on the board.

This has happened a couple of other times recently too. Could there be a problem somewhere?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

i have always had probs in the search category, too. maybe i am doing it wrong? i don't know.

can anyone give a quick course in Search 101?

thanks ,
    jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Blog Entries

Jeannie, I don't use the Search function often but when I have used it, I haven't noticed problems other than the usual ones with any search function--namely, it doesn't find what I'm looking for (LOL). But I probably need some courses in how to search.

I'm talking here about the "View Forum Posts" you can click on in the dropdown menu under a user name or in a user's Profile.

When I know there are more posts than are showing up there, I think there could be a problem.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

okay, gotcha agate ,

i thought you meant the "search" option that has a tab at the top.

but, since you mentioned it was "view forum posts" in the dropdown menu under the user's profile, i have also had difficulties with that for some time already. sometimes when i want to see if a new member has posted again since they've joined and i've forgotten which forum they've posted in (and i've written a reply), i'll click that "view posts" in the dropdown menu and i'll get a "sorry--no matches. try another term." message. i've chalked it off as them being a new member...but maybe something more is going on

thanks,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 05-30-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Blog Entries

First I'm hearing of this, can either of you give me a user in which you experienced this? For new posts it might take up to 24 hours for it to populate the search, it shouldn't but it could be. I'll look into those settings.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Blog Entries

If I search my own user name under View Forum Posts, the last post showing up is from May 6. I probably posted at least once a day since then.

There was a problem earlier:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...-crash-5-52013

But I thought it had been fixed. Posts must have started vanishing since then.
    Last edited by agate; 05-30-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: adding info

Blog Entries

Sigh, it was fixed. I'll fiddle around again over the weekend.

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Blog Entries

The problem has been narrowed down to a (behind the scenes automatic) scheduled task not running, waiting to hear back about possible fixes.

Step 1 - log in

Blog Entries

Ok I think I figured out why the process wasn't running .... the help documentation calls it something completely different from what it actually is

Step 1 - log in

Blog Entries

Still working on this, doesn't show itself to be working from the back end ... but looks like it is working when tested

Step 1 - log in