Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Health Care

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((HUGS TO ALL))))))

This is what I call health care rationing as our system has been and is now:

• 45 million people, like me, have no health insurance. What happens when a person, who is uninsured, gets cancer? I know what would happen to me. I would either lose our home and all of our assets fighting it, or I would die without care.
    • Millions of people are under-insured, with health care coverage at high premiums and high deductibles, and a catastrophic illness wipes them out financially. Even though they have health insurance.
    • Some health insurance companies consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition.
    • 10 year old Sarah Murnaghan was denied a lung transplant, until her mother brought public attention to her plight.
    • 3 year old Amelia Rivera was denied a kidney transplant, even from her own mother, because she has developmental disabilities, until public pressure caused physicians to reconsider.
    • The exorbitant cost of health care. $6k for one pill to save your life?
    • The redundancy of health care ~ I've spent the majority of my adult life in hospitals with my sons, and I guarantee you tests and procedures are preformed redundantly. In 2011, Jon was hospitalized for 40 days. He had a CT scan of his gut, as well as an x-ray. Not good enough for one GI. He wanted another x-ray, which showed the same thing: Nothing. Always, chest x-rays every single day. Yet, the doctors claim that it takes 3 days for an x-ray to comport with clinical findings. So why not x-ray every 3 days? In 2012, we rushed to the ER, because Jon's blood work (blood taken by his home health nurse) results indicated low hemoglobin. The ER doc ordered another blood panel. Jon's blood work was about 3 hours old. Nothing was going to change in that amount of time!
    • The nonsensicality and ineptitude of health insurance ~ Jon's Medicaid will not pay a podiatrist for a home visit ($75), but they will pay for an ambulance to transport Jon to and from the podiatrist's office, as well as pay the podiatrist (estimated $700+). They won't pay for an alternating pressure mattress ($4k), but they will pay for Wound Care nurses visits for 9 months to treat a 5 inch Stage 4 wound (lots more than $4k), which could be prevented with an alternating mattress.
    • Unregulated Durable Medical Equipment and Pharmaceutical Prices ~ DME's and Pharma can charge any obscene amount they desire.

Our health care system is a mess right now. Here are the rankings of health care systems throughout the world by the World Health Organization in 2000:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_H...health_systems

The United States is ranked #38, right above Slovenia.

Here's an update on that list:

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-...ld-2012-6?op=1

France has been ranked #1 for many years. Let's have what they're having!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Abby, your link to the book Ration Care does not work. I even did a search and came up with nothing but I did find another book "Citizen's Guide to Health Care Reform" by Dr. Robert L. McCan, PhD which one can read online and get a lot of information about the "Affordable Care Act".

The reference to Hitler's poster is offensive.

Gabriella
    The link didn't work for me either. I also searched for it and located no sites referencing it.

I also found the reference to the Hitler poster to be offensive and quite disturbing.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Post not really true

Hi,

Those of us already on medical plans from our work places will hardly notice any difference except that some tests have already become free like mammos, colonoscopies, . . .

Medicare will be mostly the same.

Medicaid is going to be greatly expanded in some states.

That is the short version.

Mari
    Last edited by Mari; 06-22-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    “The revolutionary act of treating ourselves tenderly can begin to undo the aversive messages of a lifetime.”
    ~ Tara Brach, “Radical Acceptance”

The Keiser Foundation's website is a good source of information about health care reform.

http://kff.org/health-reform/

M
    “The revolutionary act of treating ourselves tenderly can begin to undo the aversive messages of a lifetime.”
    ~ Tara Brach, “Radical Acceptance”

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

Let me try again http://www.amazon.com/Ration-Powerfu...ds=Ration+CareIts Ration Care by John Aman

Abby
    Last edited by Abby2006; 06-22-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Rose sorry the poster upset you kind of ruined my day also when I realized I was the one in that chair and the one they were referring to.

Abby
    Last edited by Abby2006; 06-22-2013 at 08:51 AM.

No one said anything about the German people killing anyone and this (the poster) was inferring that

Abby

Distinguished Community Member

Default John Aman (Author)

Oh yes, the author is John Aman and the cost is $1.50 which is $1.50 more than the information is worth! You can also buy it online for 1 cent. He has written numerous booklets that are negative to Obama and has his own agenda and smear campaign. Let's just go forward with books and websites that explain the ACA without all the negativity and political scare tactics......namely the Hitler poster that is totally out of place on a support forum and offensive to PWMS!

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 06-22-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

MS is a disease i.e. health related so therefore info on how HEALTH care is going to be offered or NOT [when they stop offering these experiental drugs there will be no need for a forum such as this.

If the German people were guilty of anything in the 1940's (the poster time was the 30's T-4 program getting rid of thos UNWORTHY OF LIFE)[) it (what they were guilty) of was sticking their heads in the sand and saying it was all nonsense, never happen or attacking the ones that were trying to tell them what was going on.

Its all a matter of watching it happen now.

Just like the 1930's NOBODY CARES!!!

Abby
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 06-23-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Removed flame bait

Blog Entries

It saddens me to see this thread deteriorate further, therefore it's been closed. Perhaps in a few days I will reopen it for discussion.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234