Thread: Botox approved for some types of overactive bladder

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Botox approved for some types of overactive bladder

From MedPage Today, August 24, 2011:

Botox Okayed for Some Types of Overactive Bladder

By John Gever, Senior Editor, MedPage Today

The FDA has approved botulinum toxin type A (Botox) for treating bladder overactivity resulting from spinal cord injury or multiple sclerosis.

Sometimes called neurogenic bladder, the condition can be difficult to control successfully, the agency said.

The drug must be injected into the bladder using cystoscopy, which may require general anesthesia. It relaxes the bladder muscle, increasing its storage capacity and reducing incontinence.

According to the FDA, treatment benefits last about nine months.

The approval was based on two placebo-controlled clinical studies involving a total of 691 patients submitted by the drug's manufacturer, Allergan.

"Both studies showed statistically significant decreases in the weekly frequency of incontinence episodes in the Botox group compared with placebo," the FDA said.

Urinary tract infections and urinary retention were the most common adverse effects in this population. The latter condition may require self-catheterization to empty the bladder, according to the FDA.

Other approved indications for the drug include chronic migraine, severe underarm sweating, blepharospasm, strabismus, cervical dystonia, certain types of muscle stiffness, and reducing facial frown lines.

The article can be seen here.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Thanks Agate
    I posted the article before the forum change and it did not get a lot of attention. But, I was/am interested.

I used the generic form of ditropan for 20 years and all was good. (ditropan itself did not work). After 20 years the drug stopped working. Huge life problems.

My neuro suggested vesicare and it works perfectly! And vesicare does not give me that awful dry mouth side effect. Whew!

Distinguished Community Member

Since Howie hasn't asked I will. Does that mean I could have a wrinkle free bladder?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Linda, you did indeed post about Botox for bladder problems, and here's the thread.

I've been on Detrol LA, ditropan, and Vesicare. They all made my dry mouth problems worse but Vesicare was less bothersome than the others. I stopped it though because of the dry mouth problems.

Gary, ! A person doesn't want a bladder with frown lines...
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

This is news I will be talking to my urologist about at the next appointment. I have been keeping the Depends company in business. If it works for 9 months that would be great as I cannot tolerate the side effects from the orals and they didn't work that well for me either. I googled the Mayo Clinic website and found a lot of different treatments that have never been mentioned to me. I will be trying something else as soon as I can. Probably I will have to wait until the first of the year and the MG is under better control with the IVIG infusions.

Gabriella