Thread: Hoping to inspire; please read.

Default Hoping to inspire; please read.

Hi all. I haven't been on here for a couple of years, but when I first had my surgery five years ago, I came here often looking for inspiration. I always promised myself that if I made a full recovery, I would make sure my story got out there in the hopes that it would inspire others so maybe they wouldn't be faced with the same fear and uncertainty I had when I first got my diagnosis.

Luckily for me my recovery was a success, and in addition, between the diagnosis and today I became a full-time contributor to Forbes.com, giving me the perfect platform to share my success story.

I really, really hope this helps someone. It's all I've wanted since I spent those first 48 hours so terrified: to get my life back and let others know they can do the same.

My story is here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonyn...e-quit-living/

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Tony))))))

Welcome Back!

Your story is extremely inspiring, and I'm sure that many will benefit from it. You are certainly a testament to the importance of will, faith, and determination in achieving a full recovery. Fear, which I believe is a natural response to a major health crisis, is a factor in recovery, as you state. Learning to let go of that fear is definitely a healing tool.

That you were inspired here by Braintalk members to fight your way back to the life you choose and want to live is truly a validation of the value of discussion forums, as well as the wonderful folks, who comprise the Braintalk community.

Would it be possible and would you be permitted to edit your Forbes article to include recognition of Braintalk and provide our URL? If so, that would lead your readers to Braintalk, and those, who have needs, might be inclined to join and participate. We're still the same great place, with the same caring and supportive members, just fewer of them and less awareness of our existence than in the olden days. I should think that your mention of us in your article, with a link to Braintalk, would give us a bit of a boost, as well as help many people, who wouldn't know we were here otherwise.

Best of luck in Leadville.

Be Well.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey tony!

i commend you for the conclusions you have come to while facing death or fearing death.

a lot of people don't believe that they can be a success story in beating a deadly disease. is it survivor's guilt? a feeling that you aren't worthy to have a complete recovery?

i live life one day at a time. if we worry about what could happen to us every day, we become prisoners of our fear. it is not a happy way of life.

accept each day as it comes, the joys, the sorrows...it is all part of lfe. live life one day at a time. yes, it is a cliche, but a very true cliche. if you worry about dying everyday, you are dying that day because you are not available to the people who love you. if you live one day at a time, without worry, you will only die one day in your life.

we all have health probs, some of us will get more serious probs, some of us will slowly lose our physical and mental capabilities. each of us, however, is only guaranteed today, this minute. to waste it on worry is a sad thing.

i'm glad you came back to inspire. we all need that, those we love need it and those we can encourage need it the most.

you are alive today!
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 05-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney