Thread: Pacifier Cleaning Practices and Risk of Allergy Development.

Default Pacifier Cleaning Practices and Risk of Allergy Development.

This one is just fun :).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23650304

Pediatrics. 2013 May 6. [Epub ahead of print]

Pacifier Cleaning Practices and Risk of Allergy Development.

Hesselmar B, Sjöberg F, Saalman R, Aberg N, Adlerberth I, Wold AE.
    Source

Paediatric Allergology, and.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:Immune stimulation through exposure to commensal microbes may protect against allergy development. Oral microbes may be transferred from parents to infants via pacifiers. We investigated whether pacifier cleaning practices affected the risk of allergy development.METHODS:A birth-cohort of 184 infants was examined for clinical allergy and sensitization to airborne and food allergens at 18 and 36 months of age and, in addition, promptly on occurrence of symptoms. Pacifier use and pacifier cleaning practices were recorded during interviews with the parents when the children were 6 months old. The oral microbiota of the infants was characterized by analysis of saliva samples collected at 4 months of age.RESULTS:Children whose parents "cleaned" their pacifier by sucking it (n = 65) were less likely to have asthma (odds ratio [OR] 0.12; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.01-0.99), eczema (OR 0.37; 95% CI 0.15-0.91), and sensitization (OR 0.37; 95% CI 0.10-1.27) at 18 months of age than children whose parents did not use this cleaning technique (n = 58). Protection against eczema remained at age 36 months (hazard ratio 0.51; P = .04). Vaginal delivery and parental pacifier sucking yielded independent and additive protective effects against eczema development. The salivary microbiota differed between children whose parents cleaned their pacifier by sucking it and children whose parents did not use this practice.CONCLUSIONS:Parental sucking of their infant's pacifier may reduce the risk of allergy development, possibly via immune stimulation by microbes transferred to the infant via the parent's saliva.

KEYWORDS:

allergy, asthma, child, eczema, infant, microbiota, pacifiers, sensitization

Coming from someone without kids....ewwww. It makes sense, but....ewww. ;)
    Al

HAHA....NO, EWWWW would be pre-chewing your child's food and spitting it into their mouths. This is no different than kissing your wife except even less direct :).

That would be double or triple ewww. LOL

FYI - I never let my nieces drink out of my glass...for fear of backwash...
    Last edited by aklap; 05-08-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    Al

Backwash is a totally different thing....ewwwww! I am with you!

Blog Entries

I copied this thread to the Child Neuro foum
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

If sucking the baby's pacifier is healthy, it is probably also healthy to chew up a baby's first foods if they are not mashable. And then there is mom's spit to clean the baby's face.
    Anne