Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roll Call May 2013

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Default Roll Call May 2013

Well, how many of us from GFAB are going to be posting here? I hope we can make this a warm, welcoming and helpful community.

I am awaiting the birth of my grandson. He is due anytime now. I am supposed to be there to help out but have had to postpone my trip because of continuing heart problems - I started another thread about that so I won't go into the details here. The soonest I see getting out of here is mid May.

Spring has been an off and on thing around here. At least we are not getting snow like my friends North of here.

Anne

HERE!

Holy cow it's May! Wow, I just remembered that May 1st was my observed gluten-freedom anniversary date. 10 years where did they go! Somedays seems like yesterday - other days, seems like a lifetime ago. It's funny, how we become accustom to things. GF is my new normal; it's hard to remember what it was like BGF.

Been busy our house. In the middle of arranging a field trip for our support group. Stopping at Molly's GF Bakery, Gluten-free Trading Company and then to Key Westconsin for lunch. Key Westconsin is one of this year's Chef to Plate participants put on by Gluten Intolerance Group of North America.

Wishing the weather would cooperate. Sunny & 80 one day - Raining & 40 the next...
    Al

Distinguished Community Member annelb's Avatar

Congratulations on you 10th anniversary. Your trip sounds like fun. Stacy said they were having snow today!
    Anne

Thanks! When is yours? You went before me. :)

Yeah, some places really got hit - 14", 17". ACK!! Com'on, it's May for cryinoutloud! Only rain here.
    Last edited by aklap; 05-03-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    Al

Cannot believe it is May! Or that my baby will be a senior in HS next year! We started her gluten free diet on her first day of Kindergarten!

Weather is a bit crazy...we also had two sunny 85 degree days, followed by 45 degrees and rain the next day! My son is among those who got 15-16 inches f snow in Rochester MN!

We are having a family baby shower shower for my daughter and my niece this weekend. Their due dates are only 5 days apart! And a third cousin is just two months behind them! That means I also get to see the MN gang...my son, his wife, and my two grandchildren this weekend!
    Last edited by jcc; 05-03-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Hi, I've been busy getting my vegetable garden in as well as making a new garden bed. I'd like to get a few more new beds in this year. My husband has gotten a new job in another state so we are also looking at moving all this as soon as he finds a new property. Meanwhile my son missed half the school year because we had a hard time finding food that didn't make us sick this winter. One of our main winter food suppliers changed something so we couldn't eat it anymore. We are in the extremely sensitive to gluten contamination category. He's been tested for everything under the sun else, even many things I hadn't heard of. Finally he is better as I found a rice that we can eat. The school has let him drop many courses, but he has 4 that he has to complete. He'll have to work his butt off, but he might manage to not get Fs. Three of them he can make up in summer school, and he can probably fit everything else into his two remaining years of high school. His goal is to do as much as he can to have the least damage to his high school transcript or college applications. He also has the option of repeating the whole year, but we think that he can do this.

I am going to make this my new home for "go to health info" from my very informed internet friends. I am glad the change from GFAB seems to be working out. Our family is going to have lots of changes during the next month. My daughter graduates from college next weekend. My older son graduates with a Master's degree in teaching a few weeks after that and my youngest son graduates from high school a few days after that. I would love to have one big family celebration but everyone is so busy I doubt there will be one day when everyone is home.
    I was able to get an early start on my vegetable garden. This year it is double in size so I am very excited about having enough space to grow some new things. I really like knowing my food sources so growing my vegetables is as good as it gets.

Stephanie, I am sorry to read about your son and his missed school from poor health. My son missed a lot of school during his freshman year mostly from Lyme Disease and mono but he really turned it on the following years- and made up for lost time (both academically and socially). He still misses school because his stomach is his weak spot (lots of food allergies) but he manages with the absences. Next his new challenge will be eating at college. He will be at home attending a local college in the fall and then move to a large campus for the spring semester. We will have to do a lot of planning ahead for that.

--Judy

Community Member

May 1st is my anniversary too for GF life style. It has been 8 years since I went GF.

Anne, so sorry to hear that you have to postpone your trip to WI.

It sounds like a busy time for everyone.

Just found out that one of my daughters in law is dealing with an oral cancer. She will be having a PET scan next week, and then decisions about treatment will be made. She has none of the risk factors for this disease
    so everyone is in a state of shock.

Just received my Journal of Gluten Sensitivity and see that there is an interview with Dr. Fine in it, and there is the mention of Al's guidelines for living in a mixed house.

My PA told me that she had just dx a patient with celiac. I am going to scan Al's article and send it over to them so that she can share with the newly diagnoses patient.

The warm weather FINALLY arrived this week, yea!

Marilyn

Marilyn,

Was it in Dr. Ford's article? Here are a few others that might be helpful...

A Day in the Life: Living in a Mixed House - 07/31/2011
    http://www.gigofecw.org/news/files/l...ixed_house.php

Grieving the Loss of Gluten - 1/19/2013

http://www.gigofecw.org/news/files/g..._of_gluten.php

Lack of Support From Family - 11/22/2012
    http://www.gigofecw.org/news/files/l...rom_family.php

Educating Family & Friends About Gluten-Free - 04/01/2012
    http://www.gigofecw.org/news/files/e...luten_free.php
    Al

Community Member

Yes, Al it was in Dr. Ford's article.

Thanks for the other links. I will make sure that the provider gets them so that she can give to the newly diagnosed patient.

Thank you very much.

Marilyn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast