Thread: probably a stupid question

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Question probably a stupid question

Are transgender people considered gay??? I never understood how that worked and I was simply curious. I know it probably sounds like a stupid question but since they start as one gender and have operations to become another gender the sexual orientation thing is a tad confusing to me since I do not live in that world. Someone please explain! No offense intended.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 04-07-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

No- Transgenderism has to do with gender. That has nothing to do with sexual orientation. They are two completely separate things.. Also being Transgender has nothing to do with surgery. A lot of people who are trans have a variety of different operations but there are also other treatment options.. Everyone is individual in what they need to make a comfortable transition to their new gender.

Blog Entries

Thanks Jul. Now I get it.

In that case, why are transgenders always lumped together with gays and bisexuals in the news?? Is there a special reason for that or does the media just do that?
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

umm, I can only try to answer you.

The term is GLBTQIA which stands for Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans, questioning, inter*****ed and Allies. You are right each one is different.. I mean I alone can be around 40 different medical conditions whereas being gay isn't a medical condition at all.. I think they lump it because even though each one of those letters is a different thing entirely., the same legal and societal issues impact all groups encompassed is that label.. The idea of power in numbers and showing mutual support is valid!!

But I for one hate the Dev. disabled label.. Or even worse dd/id Again I don't want to be lumped in with even people with cp. Let alone 10 or 15 other diagnosis's!! So labeling and umping can go both ways. Some feel power in numbers and we're all facing similar types of issues we should support each other in a broad community. Others, like me, and I'd assume those within that GLBTQIA acronym would rather not be "lumped in." It's complex cause everyone feels so differently about labels, and community and what is their duty to others verse I just want to be me and live my life!!
    Last edited by jul97; 04-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.

why lump yourself in with anyone at all
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clouds z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why lump yourself in with anyone at all
    With you on that!!!