Thread: Selective Dorsol Rhizotomy

Default Selective Dorsol Rhizotomy

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum,got info from a friend. Got a question.....I have a 16 year old son who has CP,spastic quadriapreses (spelling) with athetosis. Was always told he was not a candidate for a Rhizotomy. At the age of 9 he got a baclofen pump. 10 months later noticed pump was not working correctly, and found out the cath had a kink in it. Got that taken care of. In Sept of 2009 he had scoliosis surgery and now has rods in his back. In April of 2011 he was having withdrawls from his pump and we found out he had multiple pin holes in his cath. Once again another surgery to get a new cath. He also has cloneness. After that surgery he was really never right, meaning still way too tight,leg shaking a lot, adjatated , just all in all not happy like he was when he originally got the pump. Had a pump study done last year and an MRI with the findings that the cath is in the Epidural spot,not in the intrathecial spot. So pump is working but not like it should. Now the docs are looking into a Rhizotomy, plus taking care of getting the cath in the right spot. Has anyone had a child,well teenanger have a Rhizotomy at the age of 16 who also has a pump? Any info or advice you all might have would be much appreciated.

Rita

Distinguished Community Member

Welcome to BT, jrdgast!

I am sorry to hear of all of the problems w your son's Baclofen Pump. Spasms can be seriously painful.

The Braintalk CP Forum is here:http://braintalkcommunities.org/foru...Cerebral-Palsy
    You may get more replies there and info about the Rhizotomy.

Be well,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Post this on the Cerebral Palsy forum like ann said
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php