Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Famous People with Epilepsy

Howdy Dave
    You can also add Carol O'Hurley, sister of actor, game show host John O'Hurley. She died in 1970 at the age of 17 from SUDEP and so John works on behalf of the Epilepsy Foundation.
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    Helen Keller
    See my story at
    www.strongsvillebiblefellowship.org
    Go to "Personal Stories" then to
    "He Calls Me His Friend"

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Howdy again Dave, I was never accually talking to You. I was talking to anyone/John Doe. I think I said "When you...", I meant 'when you the reader'

I hope to see you in "chats" :)
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member

I think it is extremely important for all of us to not include people who have been known to have a seizure or maybe more than one unless it does indeed meet the diagnostic criteria for epilepsy. Many people have a seizure in their lives but do not have epilepsy. I'd like to think that someone like Elton John has epilepsy too, but if he had seizures in response to drugs etc, then I would not consider those to be unprovoked seizures. The chemicals seem to have been a causative factor in that case. However, if the seizures continued on after he stopped all drug use etc, and requires AEDs to stop them, then that is different, but we do not know that. If the list is a lot of maybe's and not absolutely true then it does not do us justice at all and lessens the credibility of all of us. Having a list of those who are known to have had a seizure seizures but not necessarily epilepsy is still good to know to show that famous people also can have a seizure and do well. We really are a gifted bunch if you think about it. Tattoo

Yeah Tattoo. That's what I was trying to say. The only people that have 'told me' they have/had epilepsy, are Neil Young and Prince. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_192337.html
    Lorraine (lor)

I remember when the Epilepsy Foundation had threads going about this on the old forums. Not all the people on that list had epilepsy. Wikipedia has it broken down to those who did have it, retrospective diagnoses, and misdiagnoses.
    Last edited by Michelle83; 09-05-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Changed a misspelling
    Life's greatest gifts are often found in friendships.

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Howdy Michelle!

I would not take Wikipedia as the last word and absolute resource.

Anybody can edit a Wikipedia article.

I have often had to edit and correct Wikipedia articles that were either misleading or blatently incorrect.

My contributions/modifications have primarily been in the sections on:

Tobacco - Snuff
    Jnana Yoga
    Dim Mak
    Advaita Vedanta
    Neti neti and
    New Skete (a Monastery in NY.)

Sad to say...
    I've seen quite a few articles on Wikipedia that present folklore as fact.
    Last edited by howdydave; 09-06-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: additional information
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Yes, it can be easily edited, but epilepsy.com has information which is similar. I should've posted that insted of wikipedia.

We know that a few seizures in a lifetime, doesn't always mean epilepsy. If the seizures are only caused by stress, it's not considered epilepsy. Since mine were originally caused from a bad reaction to a vaccination, and I went through childhood seizure free, the doctors thought I would continue to stay seizure free. I took low doses of dilantin and phenobarb, which kept them controlled. As soon as I was weaned off phenobarb. at 21, I was no longer able to be controlled with meds. First neuro. said it was all psychological, because my EEG's were normal. After the MRI's were updated in the '90's, and my neuro. got a good picture of mesial temporal sclerosis, she knew that it was epilepsy.

It took years of epilepsy studies, for doctors to discover the information we have today. As more research is done, we'll know even more.
    Life's greatest gifts are often found in friendships.

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Then again...

If they can not find a specific cause, it is epilepsy by default.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

Last week Coach Kill, University of Minnesota Gophers coach, had a seizure on the field. This incident has been given a lot of media coverage thankfully for Epilepsy and public awareness of it. I hope the education about epilepsy does no fade as the story does.

--Travis

satman next generation? Are you the satman from long ago?? (it says "new community member")
    Lorraine (lor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12