Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: colloid cyst - helpful site

Distinguished Community Member

Check out the link

http://youtu.be/wdo1oeRl8vU - colloid cyst removal video in H.D. - good link
    Last edited by Bill[uk]; 03-13-2015 at 01:29 AM.
    Colloid cyst removed from 3rd ventricle endoscopically oct 07 shunt inserted late oct 07.

Check out the link

http://www.cureus.com/articles/2718-...vage-procedure - Intraoperative Conversion from Endoscopic to Open Transcortical-Transventricular Removal of Colloid Cysts as a Salvage Procedure - GOOD LINK

NOTE - numerous useful footnotes at end of article under references
    Last edited by Bill[uk]; 03-26-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    Colloid cyst removed from 3rd ventricle endoscopically oct 07 shunt inserted late oct 07.

Check out the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-32656599 - assistance dogs article

Check out the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06085ck#auto - Brain surgery,is straightforward. It's deciding whether or not to operate that's hard. - audio radio interview with a neurosurgeon
    Last edited by Bill[uk]; 06-30-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Check out the link

http://www.braintumourdiaries.co.uk/...ran-widdowson/ - Brain Tumour Diaries
    [ with reference to my neurosurgeon Mr Peter Gan in paragraph five ]
    Last edited by Bill[uk]; 10-24-2015 at 07:56 AM.

I dont know how to post on here so here goes my daughter who is 29 was diagnosed yesterday with a 11mm colloid cyst of the third ventricle can anyone help me with what should happen next she has suffered for some months with severe headaches vertigo and dizziness no tablets even morphine have an effect on the headache which is always present and sometimes she has a massive shooting pain any help would be appreciated

Welcome to BrainTalk, Alysbach!

It is hard to know how to post on a new forum!

Go to the top of this page. On the left hand side you will see "Forum", "Neurological Disorders and Injury", and then "Colloid Cyst" in blue lettering. Click on that with your cursor. You will come to a page with all the threads in this forum. At the top of that list, on the left side, you will see the words "+POST NEW THREAD". Click on that and you will come to a blank page where you can title your post at the top line and write what you wrote here. What you did here was reply to a thread already started and not many people are going to see your post.

Please read this thread you posted in and any other threads that seem interesting. You can click on links to other sites from these forums and find more information. Maybe your question will be answered, if not, start a new thread.

I hope you stay here and find the support you need. It might take a few days for people to respond, but keep coming back as this is a wonderful forum!

I'm happy to welcome you to BT as a new member!
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 11-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Default Where are the standards for when to operate?

Bill:

Thanks! That was a good link. I was pleased to read:

... we usually recommend cyst removal, including in the case of asymptomatic cysts that have already led to disturbance of cerebrospinal fluid circulation.

I'm a little undecided about the advisability of operating on small cysts (< 1 cm) in the absence of symptoms. I think all cysts of 1 cm or greater should be removed when discovered. And any "symptomatic cyst" or those approaching 1 cm should also be removed. And I'd consider "disturbance of cerebrospinal fluid circulation" to be a pretty significant symptom. Still, I was pleased to see it called an "asymptomatic cyst" for which they recommend removal. I'm thinking of the more subtle symptoms like behavioral manifestations that cannot always be directly attributed to the presence of the cyst. Surgeons are sort of in a catch 22 situation because a certain amount of hydrocephalus allows them operating room and can actually aide in locating the cyst. We have to remember Michael Skolnik (RIP) where the doctor performing the surgery could not locate the cyst "despite heavy manipulation" of his brain. They have the scans, why can't they locate the little bugger? The article also reinforced the idea that all these surgeries should be done endoscopically. But then again, there's a huge learning curve moving from an open craniotomy to the endoscope as I understand it. And if the doctor can't locate the cyst via an open craniotomy as in Michael's case, how much harder must it be to locate the cyst using the endoscope? There are other questions that I have too. Like is using the endoscope like looking in a mirror? You know, it looks like I should "move left" when I really need to "move right". Because, it would be so easy to "flip" the image digitally so that the orientation is right. We also need pre-operative standards like a "brain mapping" so that the surgeon doesn't need to remove 2 bone flaps in order to avoid the dural venous lakes as in my case. Oh well, good article. Sorry to be long winded.

Matthew

PS: Michael's complete story is on youtube if interested.
    Last edited by Levi; 12-08-2015 at 07:27 PM.

New Community Member

Back here after a while to check how many people are using this site. I joined a closed group called Colloid Cyst survivors on facebook and it is very usefull to see so many other peoples experiences.
    Currently there are 1600 members, mainly UK, US and Australians....so go take a look.

11. The following user says "thanks"

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast