Thread: Donna ~

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile Donna ~

((((((Donna))))))

Now that I know that you are here ~ how is everything going with the move? How are you feeling about the change, and how is Nick feeling about it? I've forgotten what date you are scheduled to return to Canada. Just wanted you to know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Hey Donna- I have not been here in a while. I did not know you were coming back this side. I hope the change is going okay - I know it's nice to be "home" but I must admit I worry for you changing everything back to home.

I hope you are okay and managing well and that your young man is okay.

Best to you,
    fireweed

Blog Entries

((((((fireweed))))))

Good to see you here!

A link to Donna's blog, in which she describes their return to Canada. They are leaving England Aug. 29.

http://www.donnathomson.blogspot.com/

How about an update from you fireweed? :)

Love & Light,
    Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

My dearest Rose and Fireweed! We are almost there now - Monday morning we go to the airport and Nicholas will take the Heathrow express train to the airport (which he's very excited about!) and then we will all meet at Heathrow and we've got the whole trip all organized with lots of help. Hopefully the hurricane won't interfere wth our timing! We have a big group meeting us at the airport including the van from Nick's new home and people from there - plus my sister and my brother in law and sister in law. Then we'll all go to Nick's new home with him and I will stay overnight with Nick. We have a helper travelling with us as well and he'll stay for two weeks to provide continuity and help me train all the staff (a lot because Nick needs 24 hour care, so his team is large). Anyway, I had some tears this morning and woke up with a dream about nuclear holocaust! (sheesh), but I know that every bit of logic tells me that this is the right thing and it will be fabulous for Nicholas. He is happy and excited! He's only ten minutes by car from our house and I guess I cried when Natalie went to university as well, so I shouldn't think it's so strange to feel nervous and off centre. Anyway, I hope all my friends in the US east coast area stay very safe. Sending lots of love to you both, good friends and wonderful mothers! Donna xo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

By now, I suspect that you've arrived in Canada. and by the time you read this, Nick will be settling into his new home.

How wonderful for Nick that he is happy and excited about this change and opportunity. For Nicholas, I can imagine that this represents his independence ~ that breaking away as an adult from parents to find an identity apart from them. It's his time to be his own man now.

But we all know that when we leave the nest, we don't leave the family. We don't leave our parents, nor do they leave us. We're always connected. We always need to be the child or to be the parent to each other. Living arrangements change, pursuits change, new people enter our lives, but our family ties remain constant.

For both of you, this is a time of letting go. Your fears, sadness, apprehension, and any other feelings you're experiencing are all normal reactions. You've always been the guiding light for Nick, always there and in charge. That won't change essentially, for you will always be Nick's mum.

Logistics are different, and that will require adjustment for all of you. Ten minutes away versus just upstairs is a major adjustment, so be patient with yourselves as you adapt to this change.

Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all that this transition is smooth and seamless, and that each day brings greater confidence and comfort with this new direction.

Love & Light,

Rose

well said rose.

I am not able to find words so thoughtful, but am sending you all the strength I can Donna for what must truly be a major event, in all ways emotional and physical. You and Nick will do well.

fireweed