Thread: Can I please get advice from Fibrin Glue recipients?

Community Member

Default Can I please get advice from Fibrin Glue recipients?

I have gone the road of multiple EBPs for repair of my spinal leaks over the past 2 1/2 years, and now face the possibility of fibrin glue.
    Dr. Gray performed my last 4 EBPs in December, 2010, and is recommending fibrin as my symptoms have not changed.
    I know I will have to go thru another LP, but is the dye injection and cervical myelogram also involved prior to the glue? Do I get conscious sedation, or is it done as previously with just local meds? Is it a longer, more extensive procedure, or the same amount of time as the EBP?
    Also - since I'm asking a lot - is the recovery/downtime different with the glue? Did you get an immediate result during the procedure, or some time after?
    I experienced 4 months of mild to moderate dizziness and nausea after the December procedures - did you also have this reaction?

Any information you can provide would greatly enable me to make my decision on whether to undergo more insult to my poor spine.

Thank you in advance for your input!
    Best to everyone -
    Marianne

My husband has had fibrin glue with Dr. Gray ....
    Ask if you have to endure another LP - if your leak locations are known, there's no real need to repeat the entire myelogram unless she has good reason to repeat.
    If repeating myelogram, you'll get LP, injection of contrast, myelographic imaging, and then marking for injection sites and then fibrin.
    You can ask for conscious sedation, you won't get it until after the myelogram (if that's needed), she sometimes pre-medicates with benadryl.
    Procedure takes the same amount of time.
    Recovery time is the same.
    Results depend on what your pressure is or how close to 'normal' it is and if the fibrin reaches the leak sites. My husband always left Duke HA-free.
    The reaction you're describing 'could' be due to mild high pressure, discuss this with Dr. Gray!

Hang on Marianne!!!!
    Laura

Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere

Community Member

Thanks for your info, Laura.
    I guess not having had any ha relief after the EBPs kind of throws a wrench in the works.
    I'm a medical mystery at this point!
    But still on a mission, like all of us here!
    Regards,
    Marianne

Default Good luck

I had a fibrin glue injection 2 years ago. It did not help in my case. However, I did not stay flat as long as I should have. They did a repeat ct on me prior to my proceedures. I think most doctors want there cohorts to run the test, like they will find something different. They sedated me to have the fibrin glue injection. When I woke up, I became very sick for about 24 hours. That may have just been a response to the sedation. My best advice is to stay flat afterwards as long as possible. Pretty sure I was told not to bend, lift, or twist for one month. I would invest in a neoprene back brace just as a reminder. It is harder than u would think. Good luck.

Community Member

Leaky --
    I agree, lying flat is not fun at all. Downright boring. I will definitely check on the amount of time I'll need to be flat, and TRY to stick to it. That is, if I decide to go thru this again. Still getting educated on my options...
    Best - Marianne