Thread: A New Blog Post About Reasons why Some People Don't Care For Vulnerable Others

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default A New Blog Post About Reasons why Some People Don't Care For Vulnerable Others

Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

I just want to let you know that I read your blog post a couple of days ago, but it was a little too heavy for my brain to process at this time. Six of my dear friends are each going through terrible crises right now, and my mind is just spinning. I have been Counselor Central and Broad Shoulder to Cry On for several weeks. I'm not complaining, of course, because that's what friends do for each other, and they're always there for me. But my mind is about to reach TILT! So far, 2013 has been extremely difficult for all of them. I feel even more blessed that we're in a good place here, so that I can have the time and energy to support them.

So, when I can gather up more brain cells, I'll re-read your post and attempt an intelligent response.

Key word: attempt!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Blog Entries

Oh Rose, you are our collective shoulder, I am afraid. Please don't worry. Cyberspace never goes away and I just put stuff out there to keep the conversation going, you know? The real stuff with supporting your friends in crisis is absolutely the most important thing you could be doing. Besides looking after Jon and Jim. xo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

Yes, there is no existential (categorical) threat where compassion lives. Maybe conflict of interest, only.

Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Watching as so many friends struggle at the same time has been quite unusual and surprising. We are all just trading prayers for each other. We've all been friends for 30-40 years, so we're pretty tight knit.

Regarding your blog post ...

Assisted suicide certainly addresses the problem of underfunding of palliative and hospice care. No expenses are incurred by a dead patient. No need to repair the broken health care system, if patients are terminated, once that care becomes costly. It's an efficient, economic, and convenient way out of the mess for the government/insurance providers.

I know, I know. I keep yapping about money. Only because it is the engine driving the health care services train. Actually, it's the engine for everything in our society now. The amount of money spent on last year's U.S. political campaigns could solve a few of our problems. What a waste of money! To elect public officials! While the elderly and disabled among us suffer. While poor children starve and live in cars or abandoned buildings or a run down motel, if they are lucky.

Consumerism ~ yep. Got to have that latest gadget, that iPhone or iPod. Social networking sites sell the personal data of their users to make billions. Must have this, must have that. That is the mindset of modern society. We are Capitalists. More is still not enough.

And as we've all said, our elders and our disabled citizens are not contributing to that consumerism. They aren't working. They are using up resources. Thus, they are viewed as a drain on our economy.

So, when our governments discard them by denying them needed services and supports, by allowing assisted suicide, by forcing them into nursing homes, the populous believes that these individuals are worthless and valueless.

I feel that one way to change society's attitude toward our most vulnerable population is to change our governments' attitude about them. They create these laws to pacify us, and then they ignore blatant violations of those laws. We need to change that.

Let's hold our politicians' feet to the fire. If we are all "created equal" with "inalienable rights," then that has to include ALL of us.

You are absolutely right that ALL of us will someday need care. No one gets out of here alive. Some people are fortunate to fall asleep and not wake up, but more people are likely to die of cancer, heart problems, organ failure, diabetes, etc. What we do now to help those in need will be there for us, when our time comes to be dependent.

People, who may read the stories of those, who have been mistreated by the System, may feel compassion for the moment. But how long does that compassion last, and is it enough to motivate them to do something about the injustice in the care of elderly and disabled persons? My experience is that people may shed a tear, and say, "that's awful," but they won't go the extra mile and demand that their elected officials correct the issues causing the suffering.

How we change that is the question. I think it starts with us, the ones who are most affected, working on convincing our legislators that our elders and our disabled loved ones do have value, and that but for the Grace of God go they. Not an easy job.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Blog Entries

You are right, it IS up to us. I spoke on the phone recently to a fellow called Sam Daley-Harris. Sam created a gigantic organization called RESULTS to teach advocacy skills to ordinary citizens and to lobby on the issue of poverty and more recently, climate change. I think we need Sam's model to galvanize seniors, those who care about child rearing and those who care about disability to have a major push about giving and receiving care. I wrote to John McKnight at the ABCD Inst. about this idea and I haven't heard back yet - he might have thought I was nuts, but hope not because I got our mutual friend to do the introduction. Anyway, these are guys who talk people in high places in the US about social change and how to get everyday people like you and me who are affected by issues to get their voices heard and how to turn those voices into political and economic change. We have to get organized and ally with seniors and childcare. That's most of the population. If we all had a say (and btw, add to that the women's movement who are most invested in caregiving), then I think we would get somewhere. What do you think?

Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Power in numbers.

Sounds like you are on the right track contacting Sam and John. This is what we need, because you and I, and even all of our CN family together, couldn't accomplish what they can. I like the way you think, and the way you work!

Love & Light,

Rose