Thread: Experience with Encopresis?

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Default Experience with Encopresis?

reading a lot on encopresis and wondering if anyone knows someone that has been 'cured' or grown out of it? There are so many extremes out there as a treatment yet no cure and some of these treatments I think could be psychologically jarring not to mention more invasive. I am finding that many who have it grow out of it especially being treated with probiotics and fiber, minor change in diet. I am praying it can be so.

Anyone with experience?

Distinguished Community Member

I think it would depend on what's causing this. Is it psychological ( a child is "holding" a bm causing leaks or accidnets) or is there a medical reason. My daughter has had bowel issues for a long time. Cronic constipation caused accidents and lots of belly pain.
    Mary G.

3. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((houghchrst))))))

No experience here with encopresis, but a lot of years of experience with chronic constipation with both of my sons.

Based on the little information I know about encopresis, I would agree with Mary that determining the cause would be a major factor in solving the problem. There are so many reasons for chronic constipation, including medication side effects, and even hypothyroid or other hormonal issues, as well as lack of mobility and structural abnormalities. Fecal impaction or bowel obstruction should be ruled out or in as potential causes.

A glass of warm prune juice daily might be helpful in establishing regularity. Stool softeners might be needed. Plenty of water should be consumed daily, because bowels need lots of water to make them move. Not liquids, like juice or soda. Water. Avoiding constipating foods, such as cheese and bananas might be beneficial. Exercise is helpful.

I hope that you're able to determine the cause to help you treat it.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

5. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

well we finally found the underlying cause of my son's encopresis. anxiety. My son was put on low dose of Celexa and Klonopin in the a.m. and now his encopresis is curing itself. His bowels are moving much better. Down to no leaking most days. He has found that watching what he eats and staying on the Mirilax works on his bowels more successfully, no more meatball subs lol. He still has those times where he gets a bit blocked and will stay in bed for a couple days due to belly cramps but with a muscle relaxer that helps take the edge off and we do the upped dosage of Mirilax throughout that day.

We are all thrilled. Finally after 15yrs a breakthrough.

Distinguished Community Member

Wow So glad you found a remedy! What a difficult time this must have been. Thanks for the update!

Mary Grace

8. The following user says "thanks"