Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI: How long before I can assume "no news is good news?"

Hi!

Tuesday at 3PM, I had a brain MRI for the headaches, coordination/balance issues, lack of appetite, confusion, and memory issues I have been experiencing.

My quick question for the community is this: If the results point to something serious, how soon would I typically find out? Days? Weeks? The MRI center told me before I had the test done to wait for my neurologist appt. get my results. However, if it was something serious, wouldn't I find out sooner? And if so, how soon? Understandably, with the holidays it could take longer than usual.

It said right on the paperwork from the MRI office not to call them for results. My appointment with the neurologist is not until the 16th of January.

I just want to know how much time should usually pass before I can assume "no news is good news?" I tend to worry when it comes to things like this.

Please advise.

Thank you!

A.
    L sided headaches since Fall 2005. Stopped in 2010, only to restart w/greater intensity in November 2012 with additional symptoms of nausea, clumsiness/balance issues, poor appetite, and difficulty hearing out "plugged" left ear. Headache pattern: occurs in AM and upon changes in body position. OTC meds do not help.

Previous surgeries: 2008 total L Parotidectomy, secondary to benign tumor, 2011 gastric bypass, 2012 hysterectomy due to benign mass on ovary. (Kept 1 ovary)

All I can tell you is my experience with a brain MRI. At the commercial MRI center, far from my home and neuro, they told me that the film and information would be mailed (by USPS) to my neuro. That evening my neuro phoned me screaming because I had not been home sooner so he could contact me...... when I walked out their door the MRI center had phoned him to tell him there was a mass in my left temporal lobe. Doc told them to hand carry the film to a large hospital so they could/would get to work on seeing me.
    Whew ---
    I wish you the best.

Comment

I am sure if someone spotted something terribly serious that as jingle said you would have gotten word. If you are concerned call the neuro office and see if they have the results and if they do then see of anyone can tell you anything, ask for the docs MA, most in my experience won't do it over the phone but you might get lucky. So in my opinion yes...no news is good news.

Always seems like such a terribly long time when we are waiting to hear. Hope it is all good news and that what ails you will get taken care of quickly.
      Last edited by houghchrst; 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Alesis ,I agree , call and check starting tomorrow, be the sqeeky wheel, at least you can tell the nurse why you are calling and ask for your doctor to return your call...might work , good luck honey .
        GING

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I am feeling quite loopy right now and will post about it in a separate thread.

Bottom line up front: I called the office and they said the MRI was normal. However, my New Year's Day was not too good. I had left sided numbness in my head and nausea, which prompted a visit to the ER. Developed a wicked headache in the hospital. Despite a "normal" CT scan in the hospital and two different meds, I am still symptomatic, although somewhat better. Neuro ordered a CTA which is scheduled for this afternoon.

I wish you all the best and that you find healing soon.

A.
          L sided headaches since Fall 2005. Stopped in 2010, only to restart w/greater intensity in November 2012 with additional symptoms of nausea, clumsiness/balance issues, poor appetite, and difficulty hearing out "plugged" left ear. Headache pattern: occurs in AM and upon changes in body position. OTC meds do not help.

Previous surgeries: 2008 total L Parotidectomy, secondary to benign tumor, 2011 gastric bypass, 2012 hysterectomy due to benign mass on ovary. (Kept 1 ovary)

Comment

Working...
          X