Thread: I think Every Parent Here will Want to Read this

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default I think Every Parent Here will Want to Read this

http://bloom-parentingkidswithdisabi...-savoured.html

It could be our family this Dad is talking about. Every day I thank God that Nick is with us and still making us laugh and be proud.

xDonna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Wow, what a great story, you can just feel the love for their son! That one made me cry!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

Me too!!!!!
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Blog Entries

Such a sweet story. Sad though.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna))))))

Greggy was born a half century ago in 1963. He passed 32 years ago. His Dad was 58 at that time, if he is 90 now.

That in itself is amazing.

Having grown up in that era, I only knew one boy with developmental disabilities. I know the incidence of DD was far less in those days than it is now, but I suspect that children with disabilities were shuttered away in facilities. So Greggy's parents were the exception, willing and wanting to care for their son. And not buying the doctor's admonition that he should be "put away" so that they could "get on with the rest of their lives." I can't count the number of times a doctor said that to me.

Of course, you and I know that 58 is no spring chicken. Even less so in that era, since the average life span for men was probably 68 or so.

Greggy had the best possible life he could have, surrounded by the love and care of his parents. Today, he likely would have survived pneumonia.

Those thoughtless comments by well-meaning friends that, "it's a blessing, really," demonstrate the clear lack of understanding during that time about disabilities. It's often impossible for people to comprehend that our children actually love their lives and are okay with their conditions.

So many times, I have thought about the stresses of life my sons have been spared. They don't have to get good grades to get into college, find a job during horrible economic times, pay taxes, drive a car (yes that is stressful ... where I live anyway), and so on with a long list.

When I think about the "normal" things they've missed -- getting married (not all people do; many people have their hearts broken by romance/love), having children (a huge responsibility), driving (accidents; tickets; auto upkeep; insurance) -- I see that all of those "normal" things have a potential negative aspect to them. My sons can't join the armed forces and be sent into a war. While I honor and respect every veteran with my whole heart, I am grateful that my sons weren't able to be one of them.

Life is not ideal. When my friends would tell me about their children's issues, I gave thanks that I didn't have to get a call at 2 a.m. to get my boy out of jail on a DUI. Or that he didn't run away and stop contacting me. Or that he didn't hook up with the wrong crowd.

Every day, when Jon wakes up, he smiles and tells us he loves us. Every day. Even when he is deathly ill. What is more beautiful than that? Michael smiled endlessly, even after his seizures, and his only remaining words were I love you. It took him so much effort to speak them, but when he did our hearts soared with joy.

Everyone is searching for a purpose. Why are we here?

Our children know that answer. It's not complicated or requiring great analytical skills.

L O V E.

I think of my boys as conduits of the love energy that everyone desperately seeks. They've got it. They understand it. They convey it unconditionally.

So did Greggy, so do all of our precious children.

The holidays are the time of year, when we are reminded of this simple truth: Love one another. Love your neighbor. Love your enemy. Love.

It's also a very difficult time of year for grieving parents. I imagine that Greggy's dad still remembers his courageous and incredibly loving son and misses him. I can relate to that part of his story so well.

Each day is a treasure. While we're here, we need to make the most of them.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.