we got a autism diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we got a autism diagnosis

We got a autism spetrum disorder dx for Ryan, we were ready for it, as ready as you can be anyway. They pretty much told us to keep doing what we have been doing - he has been getting ot & speech for months already they did have some other recommendations. Does anyone know about ABA services they would like him to start with a ABA instructor. They did tell us not to take anything off the table for him college, etc.. Hopefully with time he will come along well..

Today is 7 yrs since i've lost Blaze & each year it gets no better, I know he is happy now pain free, siezure free, & running around playing, but it just brakes my heart not to hear him - touch him, or see him ever again.. tough time of year for me...
    Blaze&Ryansdaddy

Oh, I am so very sorry for your family at this time of year, missing Blaze so much and now hearing a diagnosis, which is seems so final. I don't know about ABA, but I do know that others here will. Lacy will know - I'll message her on facebook to ask her to check in here and offer some advice. Sending gentle hugs from my family to yours. Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

We are currently looking for ABA services as well. This website may help: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
      sigpicMommy to Jimmie, diagnosed with Infantile Spasms at 4 1/2 months and LGS at 20 months, and Charlie, so far healthy and happy.

Comment

Thanks for replying back. From what you say, they gave a relatively optimistic outlook. However, I did some websearching on ABA, which uses behavioral psychology, and I would be cautious about using it. It's too harsh. For my child, I would look for alternative methods of education and treatment. Good luck as you proceed with dealing with this.

Comment

ABA is hard on the family but it can be very helpful for the child, even if you feel like it is overly harsh.
          sigpicMommy to Jimmie, diagnosed with Infantile Spasms at 4 1/2 months and LGS at 20 months, and Charlie, so far healthy and happy.

Comment

To ryansmommy - It is good that you are giving him speech training, as being verbal must be fundamental to making progress.
            Last edited by Mal L; 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

((((((Blaze's & Ryan's Daddy and Ryansmommy))))))

My heart is with you today on Blaze's 7th Angelversary. We never stop missing our angels nor yearning to be close to them again. I am praying for your peace and comfort and that you will feel Blaze very near you. A candle in his honor is lit in Michael's room. I like to imagine that they are together, with all of our CN angels, in complete bliss.

I hope that the recommendations from Ryan's testing will be helpful to you in identifying the most appropriate approaches to his needs.

I found this, as I was searching to educate myself on ABA and autism:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Speaking with other parents, who have used ABA, would certainly be helpful. I hope someone here (or among our former members, who don't post regularly) does have that experience and can share it with you.

Healing thoughts are on their way to you tonight ~

Love & Light,

Rose
              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Yes, make use of the results and recommendations from Ryan's testing.

Comment

Our thoughts go out to you at this time for year.

Regarding ABA there are folk that do the program and it can be very beneficial.

Best wishes in your decision making.

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.
                  Foster parent, now medical guardian and administrator
                  for Grant the champ aged 30, yes 30!

Comment

I found a reference to "special education". That could be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X