just feeling so bad about the murders in newtown ct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just feeling so bad about the murders in newtown ct

hi all, just did not know where to go with my feelings. i live in ct but am not related to any of the victims. i am just feeling so sad and hopeless that our country just will not ban these high powered assault weapons.....i just don't understand the need to sell these ridiculous guns to the general public, there is absolutely no need.....they don't use them for hunting or target, they are just to kill.

our state endured the assault of hurricane sandy and many are still repairing and now, just 20 minutes from home, a guy opens up on 20 little children with an assault weapon....i don't know how to direct my anger....i write to our senators and congress folks every time we have one of these shootings and get a standard letter back. why does our country kill so many of it's own and why are we tolerating it? thanks for listening...sitting home trying to wrap christmas gifts but my heart is not in it, at all. thanks for listening, diandra

hey diandra,

this has upset a lot of people, me too.

somehow this tragedy is just so ugly, not that other mass murder's weren't horrible either, but i think the killing of first grader's just hit a nerve in this country. people are beginning to speak up. politician's are promising to tackle this problem in the new year. there is hope in the middle of all this sadness. direct the energy of your anger just as you have been doing, by writing your representatives. the white house also has a website to voice your concern's.

i saw this quote today and it is so uplifting:
    ANNE FRANK.jpg

(((hugs))),
    jeannie
    (click on the pic to see a larger version and the words)
    Last edited by tic chick; 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

My heart is breaking for these families, for the Sandy victims, and for our Country, I am like Diandra, I don't know how to deal with theses feelings, I hate the labels that mental illness is getting now ...they are potential killers! This is so wrong, Aspergers, ADHD , OCD , are not diagnoses that foretell a violent life . I am sorry , I just needed to say that. Bless you Diandra for posting your feeling honey , so many of us are feeling the same. ((( hug))) , GING

Comment

there has always been evil people i think

its all sad

whether those guns or large clips are legal or not there can still be bad people sawing off shotguns or stuff--i guess a 10 size is all they need and others should be illegal -i dont know

ive heard stories on the radio of ,even woman in Europe who would kill a child because they thought they could confess to priest be absolved, and be executed and then go to heaven because they married a terrible man or something and divorce was illegal

there have always been creeps/crazies

the country gets bigger and the news is more frequent-turn off the tv
        Last edited by clouds z; 12-31-2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Hi Folks,
          This problem has hit a lot of people really hard. I work in public school and now they are getting rid of the regular security aides in the school and they want to put an officer with a gun in each of the schools I'm working in now.
          In the 27 yrs. I've been working in public school a lot of parents, and staff not to mention students are not happy because public schools have become more of a business and politics instead of education for the students like it was
          yrs. ago when I first started working there. So far I've had 2 students killed all do to violence. The last survey done in the U.S. ranked working in public school number 7 out of 10 of the most dangerous places to work today.
          If I had my way we would get rid of the weapons and bring back the 10 Commandments and Bible into public schools I think things would be much better then. Here's wishing all of you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

((((((HUGS TO ALL))))))

We must always remember those precious 20 children and their courageous teachers and principal and counselor, as well as the children and teachers in the school, who were exposed to this horrific tragedy and will be burdened with that memory for the rest of their lives. We must never forget what happened in Sandy Hook.

Anger is part of the grief process (which is not a series of stages, but a long term process), and we have a right to be angry about the reasons for the deaths in Sandy Hook. We are entitled to be angry.

Writing to our legislators is one way of directing our anger, but for those legislators, who have long stood firm on gun rights and gun proliferation, our protests fall on deaf ears and heavy wallets.

A Google search will lead you to a bipartisan list of Congressional legislators and politicians, who receive(d) campaign contributions from the NRA. For many of them, their relationship with the NRA is long-standing. They will not be swayed by our letters and emails demanding any kind of gun control, because they are beholden to the powerful lobby, which generates its revenues from gun sales.

In the next election, determine which candidates do not accept donations from the NRA, and vote accordingly. If we can establish a majority of Congressional representatives, who are not obliged to the NRA, we might hope they will have serious discussions about taking assault weapons with rocket launchers (yes, one was turned in to the Guns for Groceries program the other day, so private people can own rocket launchers, my friends) and large ammunition clips off of the market. At the least.

A petition is gathering signatures on the Whitehouse.gov site regarding gun control. This is another way to demonstrate your support for stronger legislation to prevent mass murders, such as Sandy Hook, Aurora, Tucson, Ft. Hood, Virginia Tech, et al.

The idea of posting armed guards at all of our schools was promulgated by the man, who has the most to gain from that proposition, the head of the NRA. Two armed guards were at Columbine on the day 13 students were murdered. The cost to taxpayers of armed police officers at all of our schools is in the billions. And the concept of our children passing an armed officer as they cross the threshold of their schools should alarm all of us.

Moreover, mass murders are not restricted to schools ~ movie theaters, malls, churches, hair salons ... Are we going to have police officers everywhere? It isn't realistic.

And while we are pleading for stronger gun laws, we need to be demanding major changes to our mental health care system, as the majority of mass murderers since 1982 were known to be mentally ill. The System failed them and their families, and proper mental health care might have prevented many of these tragedies.

Like most Americans, I feel helpless at the mercy of our elected officials. But there are more of us than there are of them, and they are in office to represent US, so we must make our voices heard. And if they don't listen, then they need to be replaced by someone who will.

Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me. Let us all carry that anthem in our hearts for the victims of violent crime.

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

im for the second amendment and i think NRA are ok maybe yet maybe large clips should be banned-you cant assume all here are of the same political type

i see NO problem with cops in schools-it infuriates me some would say thats unreasonable

i will say the crime seems to happen in:"gun free zones"

Comment

I don't think the problem is in having a police presence in school it's in the fact that we even need to.

For those who keep harping on the president about gun laws it is just ridiculous. How many gun crimes are committed by law abiding citizens? How are stricter gun laws going to keep down the criminal element? The laws only work for those who follow them. The president can't do a dang thing cause he doesn't run the government. Groups like the NRA, Agriculture, Pharma and others are who runs the government. Why would any civilian need an automatic weapon? Why are there gun market sales allowed? Why are people allowed to just go in and buy shotguns OTC? Why are the barrel striations not registered just like fingerprints? Why is the entire family not made to participate in family training before a gun is allowed in the home? There is a lot to be done and that can be done. I am all for the right to bear arms. I myself am planning to get a gun and make sure my entire family knows how to use it but I can tell ya that as long as the NRA and the good ole boys keep a choke hold on the government there is no progress to be made. Nobody wants to give, the art of compromise is not something our government is good at. It's all or nothing and we the people, the ones who are supposed to run our government, pay. Nobody there works for us, you can believe that and those fanatic NRAers don't want to compromise because they're just as self-centered and greedy as the rest of the government. They want to keep their 'rights' at whatever expense including our children.

sorry lol, this for me is a touchy subject, wrote a very large term paper on it in college and learned a lot more than I wanted to know.

what happened in Newton is horrifying. I can't even dwell on it because it makes me sick but I would like to know how some think stricter gun control would have kept it from happening.
                Last edited by houghchrst; 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

. I cried for days and can still cry for these babies , it is very hard to lose children ...and in such a horrific way just seems to add to the agony . We have lost little ones in our family , but to accidents or illness .
                  Last edited by Ging; 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Just a reminder to keep the political tone of your posts to a minimum. If this topic continues to stray into a politics it will be closed.
                    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Sorry Mike,
                      I tried to delete my post but could not, so I took most of it out, I guess my emotions are still raw, again if I offended anyone , I never intended to , please accept my apology ...GING
                      , I will leave if you think I should ., so sorry.!
                      Last edited by Mike Weins; 01-02-2013, 07:19 PM. Reason: merged (and edited slightly) multiple posts

Comment

Ging,

Mike's post was not to you specifically, but to all people who post in the thread.

Comment

Ging

In no way do I want you to leave. I didn't even want you (or anyone else) to edit their posts. I was merely mentioning that the thread was getting too political.
                          Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                          Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                          Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                          Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                          Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                          Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                          Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Wasnt you Ging, 'twas me, again, sorry Mike my bad. Too hard to talk about one without the other. Harder to express emotions without mentioning the cause, guess I kinda overboarded again. Forget to keep it on Facebook.

Comment

I think it was the both of us honey . I usually do my rants on Facebook to , sorry everyone, it's just been a REALLY TOUGH MONTH FOR ME. , GING :)

Comment

Working...
                              X