Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still with you all.

Hello everyone,

I regret I have been absent for so long. It seems things just have not been going my way for a while. It started with my own neurological disorder, Epilepsy giving me problems. I had a nasty seizure in the parking lot at a grocery store. The fall landed me on my head, causing a sub-dura hematoma. Fortunately it did not require surgery, but took me a while to get "in the swing of things."

Because my wife is a teacher and has the summer off, I normally spend at least a month with her camping, out of internet range.

Some of you may know that my father was a retired neurosurgeon. He was very much an inspiration for me in being involved with BrainTalk Communities, and other support group facilitation that I have done in the past. I also learned a lot from him about neurology, and epilepsy as a child growing up with seizures. I don't know what it would have been like not having him there to have all the answers when I needed them.

Dr. Y. Hosobuchi passed away September 19, due to a sudden tragic accident involving rappelling in a slot canyon in Zion National Park, when his gear jammed, causing him to become inverted. He was an active person, he hiked up Mt. Kilimanjaro the year before. In fact the two of us were both expert downhill skiers as well. Together, besides Utah,WY,CO, & CA we skied the glaciers of Mt. Blanc (Mer de Glace, & Valle Blanche.) and at Zermatt (next to the Matterhorn) just before I had my sub-dural video EEG.
    He would have been 75 at the end of October.

I know he would not have wanted to have gone lying in a bed with some sort of dementia, from one of the disorders found in the forums here. He was all to familiar with family members that went that way.

I'll do my best to make sure you see more of me around here in the near future.

Happy holiday season
    "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

David , I am sorry for your loss , that said , you have given a wonderful testament of love, respect and honor to your father.i do hope you are well now and will continue with us as you can. Thank you so much for all the caring you have shown Brain Talk communities. , GING

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss David. God Bless you and God speed your Dear Father's journey to heaven.
      Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

david,

my condolence's to your family and to you for the loss of your inspiration and fountain of knowledge, your father, Dr. Y. Hosobuchi.

although we cannot choose how we will die, we can choose how we will live, no matter what our problems. it seems your father enjoyed his retirement to its fullest and is instilling a family legacy of living joyfully in the moment.

i know you will miss him, for you speak so fondly and proudly of him and i know you will continue honoring the name he gave you.

jeannie
        Last edited by tic chick; 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM.
        WE ARE BT!
        "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
        "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
        "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

((((((David))))))

I am so very sorry for your loss of your beloved father.

From what I've read about your dad, he was quite a remarkable man. To have the knowledge and skills to perform brain surgery, and the physical agility and stamina to climb mountains, he must have been an amazing person.

The world is a far better place, because of your dad, and I'm sure that he will be remembered and missed by all who knew him, including those patients whose lives he improved and saved.

My prayers are with you that your memories of your wonderful dad will bring you peace and comfort.

Sending healing prayers for you, David, that you may be seizure-free and suffer no untoward effects from your fall.

Thank you so much, David, for all that you have given to the BrainTalk community. We are extremely grateful to have this safe and loving place to call home.

Love & Light,

Rose
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

David, Rose said it so well about you and your father. I am sorry you don't have him in your life any more other than the memories and blessings but as you said about him I would prefer to die doing what I loved rather than in bed with dementia. I hope your recovery from your fall during the seizure is complete and you are feeling much better again. It is nice to open up the site and see your message and to hear you are back again.
            1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
            2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Comment

Wow, I'm glad your fall didn't cause any worse damage. That could have been really bad. I am very sorry about your father. He sounds like an amazing person.
              Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
              My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Dear David Hosobuchi...
                I am sorry for your health troubles...and my heart aches with you...for the loss of a beloved father...even though time has passed....I will offer the Buddhist practice for the dead for your father...for the next 49 days...it is a small act of love...for the many years of.....your loving generosity....to all of us here....May there be comfort for you...in the memories of the love you shared...
                Blessings to you...and those you love........

Comment

Condolences for your loss.

Sorry to hear about your fall, but relieved that you seem to be recovering well.

Comment

David, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your dear father -- such a remarkable man! And to be so active at his age -- what a blessing! He was an inspiration to us all!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May God bless you -- and please take care! I hope your holidays are as good as can be expected under the circumstances! Hugs, Lee
                    Recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;
                    severe DDD; sciatica; osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, 2 spinal surgeries, SCS implant & removal, morphine pump trial-didn't work, umpteen injections/epidurals/trigger points,rhizotomy, Racz procedure, etc., therapy, 4 more herniations, now inoperable; lumpectomy, radiation therapy~breast cancer survivor,fibromyalgia;depression; heart attack. On disability.

Comment

David, the death of your Father is truly a loss, and when you have been as obviously close as the two of you it is very hard. To be able to talk about the things he taught you and all the things the two of you shared is a wonderful tribute to both of you. He also obviously encouraged you to be involved in our community, BrainTalk, and that has enabled us to have this board. We are all indebted to you and to him for all that you do.

I hope that you are past the effects of your fall, and that you will continue to feel better as time heals.

Thank you for letting us know what has been happening to you.
                      Virginia

Comment

David, I am so sorry for your loss. All other's have said the things I would say so just count me with them in sending my condolence's to you and your family. May God bless all of you.

I am very sorry about your fall and the awful seizure and all you've gone thru trying to get over it. I pray you will get back on the road to recovery. You have gone thru a lot the past 2 years and I hope things will level out soon.

Again, I am very sorry for the loss of your father. It sounds like he left you much to guide you on thru this life.

You are missed when you are away a long time. I have missed you and had wondered how you were doing. I will keep you in my prayers.

Take care dear, Jo ((((David))))
                        Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
                        'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Comment

:) Hi David, I am so sorry you lost your father. Also I am sorry you had such a nasty fall. We are all glad to have you back posting. Take good care of yourself and no more falling. Jeanie :)

Comment

Hi David,
                            I am so sorry to learn of your father's passing. Please accept my sincere condolences. Sorry too about your health difficulties. Sounds like you've had a pretty rotten 2011. May 2012 be filled with good health and blessings for you and your family.

Donna
                            Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
                            Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Sorry for your family's loss. You never get over losing someone you love but you learn to live with it. You shared many happy memories with your dad and they are dear to you and your family. Be blessed with the memories!
                              I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

Comment

Working...
                              X