Thread: New Community Member - What the heck

Distinguished Community Member

Question New Community Member - What the heck

Mike -I have well over 500 posts and until recently was shown as a distinguished community memberin the new forum. what happened? We went thru something simaler with the Alex45 thing. I know you have a lot to deal with but if you could restore my good name when you get a chance, I would appreciate it.
    Thank You
    Alex44

Mike, BTW Look at my join date - These new rules are fine, anything to cut down on spam but since i can't edit - here is a second post.
    Thank You
    alex44

Blog Entries

Hi Alex :)

The database finally reset everybody's post count (was supposed to do so before it went live but didn't :( ). Everyone has to start over as far as the post count goes. Once you have made your 11th post and the database updates (once a day) you will become a "community member". At post 101 you will become "Distinguished".

Once you become a community member you can edit posts.

Mike - I would swear I put up a post about this matter - I have worked in IT and with databases. I cannot belive it would have been that hard to add an extra field so that peoples status carried over to the new board. I will be the first to say I have not worked with Vb - Just a thought. After all, you kept the join dates so why not status - You did a great job getting the boards moved and I realize this is small potatoes but I must say, I am disappointed in this Oversight? or ?
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Last edited by alex44; 08-21-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Additional comment I must not have submitted my last post.

Blog Entries

This was not an oversight. In order for some of the new spam control measures to be effective we had to reset the post counts.

Administrator/Community Manager David Hosobuchi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As you say Alex, the difference in your title is "small potatoes", the difference in the spam content we are experiencing is huge. I would consider it a decent trade-off. In only a few days you have made over 10 post. At this rate, it won't be long before you have the title of "Distinguished Community Member" again.
    David Hosobuchi
    Administrator/Community Manager
    BrainTalk Communities Inc.

"The most determined win."

Thumbs up Thank You

You are absouutly right. Thank you and Mike for your patiance with me - too much stress right now and I have been letting small things get to me.
    Anything that will help the forum I am all for, esp. with spam.
    Thaml you
    Blessings
    Alex44

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

David as a victum of a spammer and got my computer destroyed from Brain talk, I am very happy about everything that will keep us from having the uglies preying on this fourm. By the way I forgot where to get my flag??, Ging

Alberta Canada, with a Beatiful view of the Rockies

I've been with BT since 2006 and I'm a newbie again... snif*
    Brain/Pit tumor=17 brain surgeries 20year csf leak(Feb, 1993) After initial tumor removal!, SPMS , Hydrocephalus from a intraventricular hemorrhage! Panhypopituitary, Diabetes Insipidus, tension pneumatocele, ( air under the skull next to the brain), 2 craniofacial craniotomies, several shunt revisions, 7 bifrontal craniotomies ... Dag "If I started crying I wouldn't stop!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dagaz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been with BT since 2006 and I'm a newbie again... snif*
    Yes but we are all newbies so you're not alone
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.