Thread: Down with Logisticare!

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Default Down with Logisticare!

Hi!

We have done gas mileage reimbursement for Caitlin for several yrs now. We spend about 800-900/month on gasoline in our household so it helps that out (believe me the reimbursement isn't all that much, but hey, every little bit!) Anyway, in July 2011 the state switched from the local counties handling transportation to a national private company, Logisticare. Well, it sucks! I went from having to call for only appts that were out of county (so only when we went to milwaukee) to having to call for EVERY appt to get a Logisticare trip ID. C has 3-5 appts per week, so this was a HUGE hassle. Long waits on hold plus I worried about what if something happened at night or whatever as Logisticare is only open from 8am-6pm. Thank God we lucked out and never tested that! Anyway, it just sucked, but I refused to give up. They threw up hoops, I jumped thru them. Last night Brian was reading the paper and pointed out a tiny article about medicaid contractor ends deal with state. Typically I read the paper first so it was funny that he noticed it (it was only a 4 paragraph little blurb). But as of feb 17, the company is ending it's contract with the state! Nice to be notified by proper means! In the spirit of trying to better advocate for C, I looked up stuff about Logisticare this morning and found TONS of articles in state newspapers about all the complaints that company was getting about their poor service. One man even died as he missed so many dialysis appts from this company screwing up his transport! I miss how it used to be handled by the county, never had any problems ever when they did it. So I figure, I better speak up and let them know! I think later I will look up and send this to the state assembly reps too...hopefully they will make a good decision and change it back to the way it was, the way that worked! (this switch to Logisticare was SUPPOSED to save the state $$, but I am guessing it didn't) This is the email I sent to the county human services dept:

Dear C***** County Human Services Department,

I am the mother of an 11 year old who has severe disabilities and requires very frequent medical appointments. We have been utilizing the gas mileage reimbursement program for several years. When the state switched to the Logisticare provider, it became a major hassle to use this program. My daughter typically has 3-5 medical appointments per week so I had to waste a lot of time on the phone setting up Logisticare trip ID's for each appointment. After awhile, they changed their rules to only allow up to 5 trip ID's per phone call, and each time I called, I waited on hold a minimum of 10 minutes per call before speaking with a service rep. They recently went live with an online reservation system, but their data entry form is poorly designed and not very user friendly. I actually spend more time entering my daughter's appointments on the online form than it took to call and set them up, however, at least with the online form I am able to enter them at night when my kids are sleeping. I have been very disappointed in the switch to Logisticare, as prior, C***** County did a great job handling this program for us.

Yesterday, I saw in the Post Crescent that Logisticare is ending their contract with the state as of February 17, 2013. I was very pleased to read this, but I am concerned about what will take it's place. It is my hope that administration of non-emergency medical transport (NEMT) will be returned to local county control. I feel these services are best handled at the local level. I am wondering if any decisions have been made about administering NEMT yet and how we will be notified when one is made?

Thank you,
    Lisa O.

Think I should send this to the letters to the editor for the newspaper too? :)
    Last edited by andromeda31; 11-23-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Lisa))))))

Such a common outcome of budget cuts. The state chooses a more costly and less effective method, which obviously fails. It's inane.

Your letter is terrific. Good for you for pursuing this. I know it's another hassle, but these are the things we have to battle to get our kids' needs met.

I have a few suggestions:

1. Identify a person at the County Human Services Department, to whom you can send your letter directly. Executive Director, etc.

2. Send a copy of this letter to:

a. Your county superintendent or supervisor or Board of Supervisors

b. Your state legislators

c. Your governor

d. Your federal representative and senators

e. The Post Crescent letters to the editor in response to their article

All of these people should be listed as a cc at the bottom of your letter to the County Human Services Department, so that they, and every recipient, recognize that you are serious about resolving this issue. Generally, senators and reps like to be referred to as "The Honorable." Which is laughable. The Honorable Senator Joe Blow. etc.

If you don't want to snail mail these people, you can email them. Of course they never actually see your email; their assistants read them. But legislative assistants are required to keep a record of constituents' contact, including topic and position. Your voice will be heard. And if your letter to the editor is published, it will be even louder and might move others to write as well. You might even include a line in your letter to the editor, encouraging others in the County, who use this service, to write to the same people.

Good luck. I can hear your justifiable frustration. I hope you get the services you need through the County again. Keep us posted.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 11-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Thanks for the suggestions Rose! I had Brian read through it too and here is how I reworked it for the newspaper:

I am the mother of an 11 year old with severe disabilities who requires 3-5 medical appointments every week. I have been utilizing the gas mileage reimbursement program for several years. On Thursday, I saw in the Post Crescent that Logisticare is ending their non-emergency medical transport (NEMT) contract with the state as of February 17, 2013. I was pleased to read this, but I am concerned about what will take its place. It is my hope that administration of NEMT will be returned to local county control. I feel these services are best handled at the local level. I am wondering if any decisions have been made about administering NEMT yet. I would encourage other NEMT users to write to their county and state representatives with their experiences with Logisticare and request that NEMT is administered by counties again.

Until I saw the article about the contract ending and did some searches online, I thought I was the only one experiencing problems with Logisticare. Long wait times on hold to speak with a service rep, only 5 trip ID’s issued per phone call, and service reps questioning medical treatment decisions were frequent issues I experienced. This month they went live with an online reservation system, but their data entry form is poorly designed. I spend more time entering appointments on the online form than it took to call and set them up. Overall, I have been very disappointed in the switch to Logisticare, as prior, C***** County did a great job handling this program for us.

Brian thought my complaints in the beginning sounded too whiny, but I didn't want to cut them completely out (like he gave for input). I shortened them up and moved them to the 2nd paragraph. I'm sending this in to the paper now, but going to have him read it over before sending it to state/county reps. One of our state reps is somehow a distant cousin of Brian's Dad (same last name too) so maybe it will get more than a passing glance, lol! :) Hopefully the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

Lisa O.
    Last edited by andromeda31; 11-24-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: took out name of cty so it doesn't show up in searches
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Lisa))))))

Good rewrite. I suggest that you refer to the Post Crescent's article in your letter, such as "Title of Article," Date of Article (eg, November 22).

Having a relative, who is an elected official, is almost as good as having a relative, who is a doctor or a lawyer! Maybe even better!

I think you will be heard and noticed. I hope others follow your lead and write to their legislators with their experiences with Logisticare and their ideas for a better system or their desire to return to the county provided system.

Oh, and ...

You Go Girl!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Thanks Rose! I had already sent it, but when I send it to the representatives I will put the title of the article...I cut it out of the paper and have it sitting right next to me! LOL! :) I get a good feeling every time I see that the contract is ending! Normally I don't turn on my computer until after lunch but I wanted to check if I had an email from the paper...not yet! My sister had to write a letter to the editor for an assignment a few weeks ago and they called her before publishing it. She is going for her masters in social work, though she wants to work with veterans so that won't help me any! Time to get off the computer and put up the Christmas tree!

Lisa O.