Thread: Recent Happenings

Distinguished Community Member JanM's Avatar

Default Recent Happenings

About 4 weeks ago Hank lost his dentures. After a week of not finding them, I was visiting him and I used the toilet in his room. The water didn't flush well so I thought, "Ah ha I think I know where his dentures are!" I spoke to a nurse that was helping Hank's roommate about of what I thought. On Wednesday I was using the toilet again and the same thing happened. I went to the nurse's station and told her of what I had noticed. A maintenance man was near the nurse's station and she told him to check it out. We then went to the "care conference" that had been scheduled and then I that nurse of what I thought about where Hank's dentures were and I went home. On Friday when I went there they told me that they took the commode out and they were able to recover the bottom denture but they couldn't find the top one. A local dentist had them soak it in bleach to sanitize it. On the 15th I drove Hank to Abilene to get an impression made, I took him again on the 19th to have the wax mold fitted and the next day one of the nursing home staff took him to Abilene to get his denture. A staff member drove him to Abilene for a 10:30 appointment and was told to come back at 2 pm. The aide had gotten sick so she came back to KLM and As she was on her way back, I was called and I brought Hank back to Abi. the get his denture. Every time we got back from Abi I would tell him that I had to stop at the Manor to visit someone and that I needed a computer file from her. After we were in and he found out this is where he lives now he got very anger with me. The 1st time one of the aide grabbed a bag of cookies and said to him, Let's go and look for your teeth, he followed her an I left. Two times we went to the dining room and after we got a glass of tea I said that I had to go to the bathroom and walk out the door and then I got out of the building. From the time I picked him up he he had no memory of the Manor and was almost his old self. I had to explain why we were going to Abilene the whole trip. By taking him to Abilene to Dentures Plus I/we saved almost $200 on the price to replace his denture and that includes the cost of the gas.. Plus I had to go to my clinic for a blood draw on Monday

I wish y'll a very happy Thanksgiving. I am going to eat with Hank at Kristi Lee.
    I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

Community Member

Jan, I wish there had been a Packers game on although I liked watching RG III. He's pretty good or his teammates are because he doesn't hold on to that ball very long.

I hope you had a nice dinner with Hank! Happy Thanksgiving too all!

Sly

Last Sunday my two sisters were together and I was called and as the plays were going on, they would tell me and we had a great time. Except, they were eating home made ice cream. The PACK plays Sunday night and one sister will start a 3-way call as K has to go to work on Monday at 4:30 and goes to bed early, she can drop out of the call and V and I can continue until the end of the game I now have a link to a Green Bay radio station to listen to the GBPs games.

Hank's denture likes very nice and he really likes it. He says that he doesn't need any "denture glue" to keep it in (like his old denture).
    I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind........

Distinguished Community Member

there's some humor in the denture story Jan. (or perhaps I'm just weird?) hopefully he will keep the new ones!

Sly,it's nice to have you back with us!

'Way back when, I heard the story of a guy who went out drinking and when he got home he "lost" his dentures after getting sick. The next day their septic tank was pumped and he found them. He was so glad that he didn't have to buy a new pair!